MacOS 10.11.6

Cura 2.1.2

Attached UM2+ to MacPro via USB

Started Cura

During Cura starting the Ultimaker power / lights went on off

Out of curiosity I thought about checking the firmware update

and selected update

Cura lights/power went on off few times

After minutes of waiting and no progress bar in Cura firmware update I noticed that

the Ultimaker 2+ is dead

This is some joke ? Did this fry the UM2+ for real?

Posted · Brand new Ultimaker 2+ dead during Cura firmware update

Sorry about the late activation of your account.

Have you tried simply running the firmware update again? If something went wrong during the update it can happen that the printer appears dead but it's unlikely that you actually bricked the controller completely.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem on my Ultimaker original + with a heated bed. It was working fine until I wanted to relevel the bed.

After updating Cura, I was prompted to update the firmware, which I did with the Ultimaker Origianl + firmware. Then nothing worked after that. It still has power but the display is blank and Cura will not communicate with the Ultimaker anymore.

I'm not familiar with reflashing or installing the boot loader on the Ultimaker version 1.5.7 board, which I'm only guessing, I have to do. Can anyone please give me a clue where to start? I need to get the Arduino to start talking again.

Posted (edited) · Brand new Ultimaker 2+ dead during Cura firmware update

The part that confuses me @zurichch it's that you say 1.5.7 board, if you have UMO+ you have a 2.1.X board

Also, I would just try to open old cura 15.xx and flash with that firmware. If it doesn't connect I think I did read long ago an user that had that problem and fixed it by turning off/on until cura did connect to the printer. Also you tell on what OS you did this, for example if it's mac I would try to reset the PRAM before trying again.

Also, I don't think you really need to update umo+ firmware to use the calibration of cura, you can skip that.

Edit..

Ok you have a UMO with a Bed kit, not a UMO+ the part you say "I did with the Ultimaker Origianl + firmware" did confuse me. Can you try to flash with the old cura and the UMO with Bed kit firmware? (not umo+)

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Recommend @neotko's 'edit'-solution...

btw: Welcome to the forum, @zurichch! I guess I will not have to ask where you are from... ;)

Thank you Dim3nsioneer for such a prompt response!

As you suggested, I tried an older Cura and it upgraded the ultimaker Original firmware as usual. The display is working again too! That's great news. So thank you already!

Now I'm still getting a MAXTEMP BED error when I turn on the ultimaker or when I try to open communication. I've checked the wiring all the way to the motherboard and it's fine. So I'm still suspecting I have the wrong firmware, which is the only thing that has changed.

Admittedly, I'm not sure what I have, an Original or Original plus. But I do have a plainplain heated bed from a kit that's been working for the last year or more. I will take your word that I have an Original Ultimaker according to the motherboard version. I know why I thought I had an UMO+, when I installed the heated bed, I was told I could use ABS as well, and when I looked for the difference, an UMO+ will do that, but you must be right again, it must be an UMO. Frankly I'm a bit afraid to try anything at the moment for fear of losing the display again. I used Cura 15.01 to get it going, but I'm going to upgrade the firmware again with Cura 15.04.6 next to see if I get any better results.

Thanks again Dim3nsioneer!

You lost the display because umo+ firmware it's for a different board, that's normal. Check the bed soldering points (use a phone to make a photo so you don't need to disassemble it to look at it). Also check the pt100 heat sensor cable connection from the bed to the little board of the umo bedkit and the cables from that little board to the umo 1.5.7 main board. It might just be a cable not doing propper connection.

• Like 1

I took the heat sensor cable off the head and the metal sleeve was loose. Could this be the problem or do you know if they can they work like that?

I finally noticed that you're the one deserving my thanks! So thank you for your help!

• Like 1

Not sure, but if works it works. There's a lot of security by the firmware to protect the hardware & avoid real problems, so if something fails to be properly connected it jumps with a max temp error. Hopefully that fixed your umo! If anything pops again make photos of the connection points, @dim3nsioneer has a lot of knowhow about umo so he might point you in the right direction (I only have umo+ so I'm less familiar with that board).

Not sure, but if works it works. There's a lot of security by the firmware to protect the hardware & avoid real problems, so if something fails to be properly connected it jumps with a max temp error. Hopefully that fixed your umo! If anything pops again make photos of the connection points, @dim3nsioneer has a lot of knowhow about umo so he might point you in the right direction (I only have umo+ so I'm less familiar with that board).

That UMO know-how of mine might be a bit rusty but I'm not the only one reading this forum... ;)

Anyway, don't forget to open a new thread with a new issue.

You lost the display because umo+ firmware it's for a different board, that's normal. Check the bed soldering points (use a phone to make a photo so you don't need to disassemble it to look at it). Also check the pt100 heat sensor cable connection from the bed to the little board of the umo bedkit and the cables from that little board to the umo 1.5.7 main board. It might just be a cable not doing propper connection.

Hello neotko,

Although I found a possible faulty temp sensor on the heated extrusion head, which will take a while to order and replace, I'm still wondering if that was the problem.

I'm getting a MAXTEMP BED error, which implies the BED and not the head. But you're calling it a bed kit implying Ultimaker calls the heated head assembly a bedkit? Do you know if there's a difference between a simple MAXTEMP error and a MAXTEMP BED error? I just want to know if I should continue troubleshooting to avoid disappointment when I replace the temp sensor on the head.

Afaik maxtemp bed means that the pt100 of the bed reading it's way above the normal &/or isn't fully connected. You could get a multimeter and check the heat sensor (with all off) to know how many Ohms you get. 100 ohms it's room temperature. Also check the bed pt100 (grey color) cables to see if they are properly soldered, I think some users had a problem there and resoldering them did solve the problem.

• Like 1

But I do have a plainplain heated bed from a kit that's been working for the last year or more.

Just to be sure:

You are talking about the "Heated Bed Kit", made by Ultimaker (with a PT100 temperature sensor) - or something different?

If your heated bed uses a different temperature sensor... mmmh... that would explain the error message you get...

Which firmware version was installed before? If you re-install the former firmware - everything is working?

• Like 1

maxtemp error and maxtemp bed error are indeed unrelated. One is the nozzle sensor, the other the bed sensor.

• Like 1

But I do have a plainplain heated bed from a kit that's been working for the last year or more.

Just to be sure:

You are talking about the "Heated Bed Kit", made by Ultimaker (with a PT100 temperature sensor) - or something different?

If your heated bed uses a different temperature sensor...  mmmh... that would explain the error message you get...

Which firmware version was installed before? If you re-install the former firmware - everything is working?

I have the reprapdiscount.com PCB Heatbed MK2B dual power bed. I measured the temp sensor and it was 89 ohms, I guess that's ok.

I did get a bit further in the troubleshooting though. Prompted by your suggestion, I re-installed Cura 13.12 and the MAX TEMP BED went away!

As I tried other more recent SW's, I noticed they all failed with the MAX TEMP BED error as soon as I gave the heated bed option when installing the firmware.

But without selecting the Headed Bed option (self-built), it would work but then I couldn't use the headed bed. Apparently I ready do have a heated bed problem.

I'll try to trace the bed wires all the way back to the motherboard next. This is only a hobby though and it may be several days. There's not so much I can think of testing though. I can trace the wires and maybe try resoldering the connections.

You don't have to update the firmware to use the latest version(s) of Cura. You can use the firmware that came with 13.12 with Cura 2.1.3 or the Cura 2.3 beta.

I think his problem it's that it's trying to use standard firmware with hardware (his hotbed) that uses a different heatsensor, so ofc it fails.

You might need to use a custom firmware, or at least a firmware done with the @amedee custom firmware builder that lets you choose the heat sensor you use

Basic tutorial to use the builder:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/20983-ultimaker-original-custom-firmware-builder

The firmware builder:

https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/

I have upgraded the firmware previously using the Cura prompts.

I've used a multimeter to check the connections and they're fine from the motherbd to both the heatbed and the temp sensor. I even re-soldered the bed connections. The temp sensor still measures about 104 ohms and between the heatbed solder connections, it measures 4.2 ohms while disconnected.

The problem remains, I can print using the default Cura firmware up to version 15 as long as I don't mention I have a heated bed. As soon as I install firmware with the heated bed, it installs normally and the display shows the additional heatbed bed temperture measurement, but it immediately displays the "ERR: MAXTEMP BED". Cura 2.1 always crashes on my old laptop.

I tried installing the non-heated bed firmware then swapping the nozzle wire pair with the heated bed wire pair on the motherbd. I could control the display, I didn't get any heat or any flashing of the LED on the transistors. I don't know how to test the power supply under load, but it works to heat the printhead anyway.

The Ultimaker was working just 2 weeks ago, until I accidentally upgraded it with the Cura 2.1 using another, better laptop, with the heated bed KIT firmware.

I'm getting ready to order a replacement MK2B Dual Power bed as I don't know what else the problem could be. I'm also getting tired of spending so much time to troubleshoot such a crude software, but I would still appreciate any feedback from the community, thanks.