cura 2.1. autoscale. Total time/money waste.

kenjo

Posted · cura 2.1. autoscale. Total time/money waste.

I just wasted 15 hours and a lot of plastic on the autoscale feature. namely I did not notice that it did scale the STL file and printed it.

Now the feature is possible to turn off but I would like to know in what situation do this option EVER need to be on ??

Having it on can result in really bad result as I just experienced can anything equally bad happen if it is not ON ??

That is I would really really like to see that option not existing at all as this problem is going to happen to more people than me. If the model is to large put up a dialog or something asking if it should be scaled but do not do it automatically.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · cura 2.1. autoscale. Total time/money waste.

With the function activated, cura adjust the size of the object (x,y,z) to the build volume (x,y,z)

If the function is desactivated and the object too big, the object cannot be sliced and printed.

CuraScalebig.thumb.JPG.d47aebbeda905fc95b7858e7f9596cf6.JPG

CuraScalebig.thumb.JPG.d47aebbeda905fc95b7858e7f9596cf6.JPG

Edited by Guest

Well clearly we all understand what scaling a model does.

It's doing it automatically that make no sense. Of everything I printed only a very few could actually be scaled. Most of the thing I print needs to be the size its designed to be and changing it is just going to make the whole thing useless.

If the thing do not fit ask the user don't just assume it's ok to scale. Its to easy to miss that this scaling happens and the result is WAY worse than having a model that can not be sliced until the user scales it to fit.

I see no reason to retain this feature, just always ask the user.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · cura 2.1. autoscale. Total time/money waste.

This a backwards feature and also costed me lot of material and time :(, especially if you, like me, print objects at the edge of the largest sizes possible to print.

I can understand the developers want to dumb down the interface, but this is just a nasty auto feature,

and it does need a click to continue popup to say it was auto-scaled for your "convenience"

(I never saw the popup because it takes some time to load my large files, and I flip to other work until it is loaded)

Edited by Guest

There is a popup that tells you it has happened but you can easily miss it as I did.

It shows up at the bottom of the screen

I agree, I missed the pop-up as well and it scaled my model maybe 5%-6%, enough for me not to notice while printing but when I assembled I thought I got my model wrong. Spent 20 hrs printing, and a few more trying to trouble shoot my tolerances which had no issue :/ Only noticed during assembly of the full thing.

I don't think autoscale does anyone any favors, the fact that the object turns grey when unsaleable is enough to prompt people to scale their objects down in the direction they choose or re-design.

• Like 1

I just went through the very same thing. I'm some angry too.

I did a 8 hour print and went to do another part in Cura and just noticed that sly pop up that it had auto scaled to 92% No way to disable this "feature" from what i can see.

So now I have started a new print..... 9.5 hours (done 100% scale this time)

Why create new "features" with no way to undo them?

A lot of filament and time gone to waste.

It can easily be disabled in the general preferences ("Scale large files"). But I fully agree, it shouldn't be enabled by default and even if manually enabled it should be VERY obvious if it has come into effect.

Personally I would also prefer if it wasn't a feature at all because it doesn't really add anything, and it can really screw things up.

Some models it doesnt matter and you may want it as big as possible. In this case It should be a button that you click to scale uniformly to build volume.

But agree that any auto one can cause more problems.

I've also gone base over apex on this, an 8 hour over-night print of a mechanical part. I didn't notice until I tried to fit it the next day that it had been shrunk.

Defaulting this to "on" is a bad idea, and a waste of our time and money.

+1 for a manual autoscale button

There's already a "Scale to max"-button available, just click on the scale tool and it'll show up.

then +1 what you and the others said ;)

I had to smile a bit when reading 'manual autoscale'

Agree default auto scale is a bad idea.

Wow, this crap just blew a whole week of parts for me. I can't believe this shit! These are not my printers but I'll never buy this brand or recommend it. Now I'm stuck with reprinting the whole batch again. THANKS!