UM3, who's going to buy one?

frederiekpascal

Posted · UM3, who's going to buy one?

I've ordered one, currently got a UM2+ (upgraded UM2) which I'm keeping. I've wanted to get a second 3D printer for a while and I just couldn't say no to the UM3.

I asked Santa for one...or two...or four :)

I'd really love one. But then again, I wouldn't mind a couple Ultimaker 2+ Extended's, so if those prices drop...or people are looking to upgrade and sell their lightly used UM2+ printers...I'll be paying attention :)

I asked Santa for one...or two...or four   :)

I'd really love one.  But then again, I wouldn't mind a couple Ultimaker 2+ Extended's, so if those prices drop...or people are looking to upgrade and sell their lightly used UM2+ printers...I'll be paying attention  :)

First I was planning on selling my UM2+ extended but the price for the UM3 extended is too high. So I changed my mind and I'll stick to my current machine. Damn! :p

• Like 1

I dont. ask santa, - I asked my wife... bad idea...

but some guys in my company want to buy a new printer to kick out the f*** makerbot. unfortunately I'm not sure how to convince them...

• Like 1

Not in its current configuration. It would need an option of Bondtech feeders instead of the UM2+ carryovers. Anything I've seen available on the market right now is a downgrade from Bondtech. Also it would need a guarantee of only high quality Misumi bearings being used on the vertical rods. The no-name bearings can be unreliable, making for poor layer uniformity and a waste of my time in diagnosing/replacing

• Like 1

I cannot guarantee at all but the z bearings are just exactly as the misumi ones I got for my other umo+. But agai, I don't know more than what I can see. Z looks fantastic.

Already ordered one to test. If it works as good as Ultimaker claims, then it will replace a few of our UM2+.

Posted (edited) · UM3, who's going to buy one?

I cannot guarantee at all but the z bearings are just exactly as the misumi ones I got for my other umo+. But agai, I don't know more than what I can see. Z looks fantastic.

I just don't have warm fuzzy feelings telling me that Ultimaker recognized the issue of grinding bearings, addressed it across their company, and made it extinct.     Back in 2015, Fabrc8 sent me a pair of actual buttery-smooth Misumi bearings (complete with a Misumi logo laser engraved on each one) as RMA replacements for a defective pair.

At that time I figured UM had recognized the issue and taken action.  So I was pleased.  Then I ordered a pair of bearings from Fabrc8's site, just to have an extra pair on hand. These were plain brown box bearings, and they did not perform as well as the Misumi ones.  

So I think the performance of the bearings that Ultimaker buys and installs depends on the week.  Some good batches, some not.  And if they do maybe pay more for extra good ones now, I expect an accountant in their company will at some point convince them to save an extra couple dollars per system by going with a different supplier.  And that's why I'd want an official statement that UM has recognized the poor bearings issue, owned it, and permanently resolved it.   Or they could bring the overall price of the system down to the price point that would be appropriate for OK hardware, a price that would not make me expect high performance direct out of the box.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Posted (edited) · UM3, who's going to buy one?

Duplicate of my post below, for some reason. NM

Edited by Guest
    Posted twice as I'm technically challenged?

I am putting an order in for one in the next week or so. Looking forward to getting it for my students.

I'll stick with my upgraded 2.

The feature that could have got my money is larger (honest) build volume, and no change there in the 3

yeah, I'll get an additional one or more..

love the printer.. sure, some things could be better, I agree witht he BondTech argument, but all the other things.. it's not necessarily better then my UM2+ printers, but it's more aligned to how I use them..

yeah, I'll get an additional one or more..

love the printer.. sure, some things could be better, I agree witht he BondTech argument, but all the other things.. it's not necessarily better then my UM2+ printers, but it's more aligned to how I use them..

I'm afraid I won't be getting a UM3, mostly due to the cost.  

Love my UMO (although it seriously needs a better feeder and an Olsson block) and my upgraded UM2+, but the UM3 is out of my price range.

Currently have a Prusa Mk2 with the 4 colour printing upgrade on order and could still afford a Taz 6 with the change left over from a UM3.

• Like 2