Ultimaker Academy.

ivan-lipunov

Posted · Ultimaker Academy.

Hi, gang!

Important notice: I may now play the role of Captain Obvious, but the idea suggests itself. So if I'm behind the times, and such plans already exist, the moderators can remove the post without any hesitation.

People, discussion with 9 pages about the new printer will last at least a couple of days, but the idea of courses on pumping skills working with the printer catched me so much, that i decided to create a separate thread about it.

For those who missed all the fun: looking at the despair of professional designers who design the model and get something, who cause bleeding from the eyes and the helplessness of newbies who bought the printer and do not know what to do with it except printing stl's from the Internet i was born the idea of creating courses that help you get the most out of the printer. If you haven't seen this epic thread, and have a desire to read it, here it is.

For some this may seem arrogant and stupid, because they have behind years of experience. But look at what you get now, and the best examples available in the community and on the Internet. And I'm not talking about those things that admirable, but unknown in virtue of NDA with the customer. They are. The difference in the face. The person who buys a musclecar, and had seen the work of the stuntmen in the movie, will not be able "to cut circles" in the gymkhana like Ken Block, whether he just got a driver's license, or went 20 years in ordinary family cars. This is not the question of the printer, this is the question of the skill of working with him.

The idea is to combine the most successful experience of community in the design of the model and working with slicers for these two categories of users. Professionals will be able to save time, and as a result, earn more, and beginners. who can acquire basic skills, and not only download interesting models to print, but to create them.

The difficulties that I see at the moment:

First, the diversity of software, from Autodesk A360 to Inventor, Solidworks and a very highly specialized industry solutions. They have very different functions, the barrier to entry and, importantly, cost. With newcomers the problem can be solved by voting or by the appearance of the affiliate program with one of the developers to concentrate on the features of the program. With professionals is more complex trouble. The functionality of various CAD packages can vary greatly, and the development methodology too. Can also vary the area of professional application. Here, in my humble opinion, we need a focus group about their expectations, approach to design and the results obtained. Based on this survey will be to focus on preparing the course content. Most likely there will be several courses, each tailored to practice.

Second, the lack of a ready-to-use platform for learning. Summer @SandervG voiced the idea of a platform for collaboration. I don't know at what stage it is now, but perhaps some groundwork can be used for the learning process.

Third, the language barrier. Yes, english more or less fluently to communicate for all of us, but for courses it can be a serious obstacle due to the loss of focus. Probably the subtitles will help in the case of videolessons, or the help of the community with translation of cources into their native languages.

I think it makes sense to invite to the thread @neotko, @nallath, @jonnybischof, @meduza, @rasputin and @foehnsturm. What do you think, guys?

P.S. I don't know anyone from the educational forum threads, but I'm sure there are people who have something to say. I would be glad if someone can invite them here to discuss

• Like 1

Hi @Ivan-lipunov, thank you for your post!

The idea about having a collaboration platform has not really progressed. It was an idea I was very excited about, but haven't managed to get a lot of traction for it in the organization.

I still love the idea for a place to collaborate, and in a way that already happens at many different level in this awesome community. For example, the way information and experience is being shared to help each other is also collaborating.

Is this also what your first part of the post is about?

Onto what level does this category offer what you are looking for? If not, it is not really clear to me for what kind of solution you are looking for instead.

Are you more looking for a way to bundle information (potentially already here on the forums) so they can be accessed/found more easily? I am all in favor! (again).

For example, I spoke with @Neotko to use some of his knowledge and create a few amazing tutorials on how to modify your Ultimaker Original. They can be found in our resource pages.

Have you ever seen them?

Do you think that is a good place for them?

What other topics would you like to see?

Do you have an idea on how users can be found that contain a certain level of knowledge, that would be willing to share it on such a resource page?

Looking forward hearing your thoughts :)

Hi @Sandervg!

Are you more looking for a way to bundle information (potentially already here on the forums) so they can be accessed/found more easily? I am all in favor! (again).

Something like this, yes, but more structured. Over the years the forum has grown to such an extent that to find detailed information about anything is difficult. For example: neotko's idea about sanding the surface with nozzle for better results is wonderful. But I never saw it if coming for a couple of weeks later. She would simply disappear from the dashboard and top headlines. (I don't want to slip in a repeat of discussions about the design, it became really better compared to what it was after changing the forum engine.)

Ie there is, as Stephen king says "final verdict", that was current at every point in time. Like a Ultimaker's user Cookbook or something alike. And becose practice is a best teacher, i think courses is a really good opportunity to correct this situation.

How to divide a complex model to avoid support? How to achieve high quality surface finish? The nuances of handling acetone bath? Creating custom supports at the modeling stage for higher quality? The list is long then proceed. The presence of a strictly structured and comprehensive answers, and the more, opportunity to practice to learn this can save users time (and money), and relieve the forum from similar questions.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Academy.

Maybe the answer is as simple as having curators of content.

Basically a new forum area where noone can post but is accessible to everyone.

A contend curator could:

- Select and mirrot a post to this area and mark it under the category he chooses (Example: Tricks, Mod, Tutorial)

- Get inside a post and hide posts that doesn't add content to the idea. (Example: Users comments that doesn't add content or offtopics)

Like a mini moderator, but just to keep good content from flooding down the pages.

Also since the post should be mirrored, not copied, new content added could be inserted on the original post, and the curator could hide or unhidden this new content on the 'Curated area'. Full post always should be accessible anyway, but the mirroed post should be 'curated'.

Ofc there ain't that many posts that should be there. Thinking out loud I would highlight Foehnsturm Crossflowfan, Forhn Magnetic changer, Illuminarti posts about mm3 on the first um2 feeder, Anders Olsson block, Labern fancap, etcetc. Not just for their content can could be more or less contemporary but for all the interesting analysis and advances on each part.

Ofc doing this won't be easy and could take personal time of the curator. Also it could be nice if the creator of the post could mark post so the curator chooses to unhide/hide if there's something interesting there.

This could also helpyo keep track of the key posts and make them more attractive for new users or just users than want to gain more knowledge and share their ideas.

Edited by Guest

I would also like to have the ability to save a post. You can bookmark a topic and follow a topic but sometimes it's just one post you want to save.

Having a folder that you can name full of saved posts would be nice.

But this doesn't stop good topics slipping by unnoticed.

• Like 1

Kinda thinking out loud here. I have been thinking to have something like a community hall of fame where, depending on users activities and achievements, some could get highlighted. To name a few examples, GR5 for answering almost everything, Neotko for his wonderful resource-pages but also Anders Olsson as being an inventor with the Olsson Block. Perhaps it would make sense to not just feature people in the hall of fame, but also certain information, like what we are talking about now?

The purpose of a forum is to preserve information, but if it gets lost due to the many posts it is not really being preserved.. How and which type of topics should be in this hall of fame should be given more thought.

For example, hiding some posts which don't add anything could make sense, but it could quickly turn into a conversation impossible to follow. In case of the magnetic toolchanger, the curator would have to digest 59 pages into something readable.. that is quite a task...

Yeah that's one of the big ones. Since on that post there are 4 users making the main mods, one fast way could be to define the main contributors (arjan, Foehnsturm, macua85, me) and just by doing that you have 85 pages into 10 or so. Then give all 4 contributions access to hide/unhide content of the main post. So if the users unhide relevant content it gets a better content and if they choose not to you just al least have the important relevant dada to display.

Also it could be nice to define 'interesting offttopic posts'. That post has way too many cool stuff inside. Like the pancake feeder from anders that foehn used, his core xy machine, a lot of info about feeders.

That's an excellent idea @ivan-lipunov, very good.

To start with it's only a matter of having wat neotko mentions, a curated content place wich eventually the Ultimaker team would incorporate in their resource pages as well?

But I totally support the course idea, especially now with the UM3 and all material combinations and profiles available it might look daunting to new users.

• Like 3

I'm still convinced the write ups such as Neotko did are the best. But perhaps you can make new forum part that links those and has the same discussion as underneath the articles in a forum style section.

Writing stuff up is a lot of work, especially when going into detail. But perhaps this forum part can different than complete neat write ups, but kinda like summaries of what has been talked about in the forum. Either way, someone is going to have to do the work.

Though when I read @ivan-lipunov s post, and also what he wrote in the other topic/forum (can't remember). It's broader than the community mods. It is also about software like plugins/other software than Cura, and for example methods like how to approach models like XXX, or what to do with YYY.

It's a knowledge database, but of a higher level than the already in place getting started UM database.

• Like 2

@Sandervg If using the current functionality of the forum, perhaps it makes sense to do a summary of the discussion in the form autosnowsledges list on the first page of the thread. Voting for inclusion in this list by "likes" . And make a separate pinned thread in each section of the forum, which will contain a list of important threads, and a separate basic article for beginners. Or, for beginners you can make a separate forum section with a concentrated knowledge about the main issues, as is done in the 3DVerkstan troubleshooting guide. No comments, just pure knowlege.

@Titus

It's a knowledge database, but of a higher level than the already in place getting started UM database.

True. And since it's a higher level, the idea is not just another wiki, but courses with the help of which the user with a basic/average level will be able to unleash the full potential of printer, no matter what it would be UM2/2+ or new UM3.

Exactly! That's how I see it, rather than a few 'news' items on upgrades. That is great to start with, but it also needs to be inviting to build upon improvements/tricks or totally different things.

Here is an example of what I meant in relation to the functionality of the forum, and what I personally really miss:

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=717634

If you click on the link, you will find yourself on the largest russian forum about mobile devices. And in each thread there have a common style of the first post (or header) in which worn links to important comments, FAQ, and other important information relevant to the subject of the thread. The forum have the moderators of the sections who can update the header . It also can update the creator of the thread. And any user can find most imporant information in seconds using only these firt post in a thread.

I agree that the relevant posts in a thread should be somehow bundled. The 'best answer' is a good start. Unfortunately it is not very well known I think.

Hello all. love the idea of a collaboration. For the education world, Ultimaker has the Pioneer program which I am one of 58 involved.  We are looking for ways to impact the education world in respect to 3d printing and getting more educators to understand the impact it can have on many areas of education.  I think this and the Pioneer program working together could give some good direction for both but it would take some key people coming to the proverbial table to talk about this and flesh out what it looks like in real life.

I agree this forum is difficult to find information unless you know what to search for, and the suggestions above would help. Just a question though, is this the place that professionals go for information, or where new comers go for information?  I don't know what kind of traffic the forums get, but I would imagine that the number of Ultimakers sold does not accurately reflect the traffic on this site.  Any ideas as to why that is?

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Academy.

Well, to be honest the resources of the Education's Pioneer Program have some great info for newbies, you guys did quite some work there.

Here's the link for those interested: https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/education

Some that I like, short and to the point: Print faster, Mastering Cura, Anatomy of an Ultimaker 2+, Maintaining your printer, Useful tools, Designing for printability, Checking and repairing files, Software Choices...

Edited by Guest

The forum is a nice mixture between newbies and experts.

On a daily basis there are a lot of new users who pass by reading some information or posting a question, but without our loyal and respected experts there would be no one to answer them. So it is a valuable synergy that connects users.

If we would update the first post in a thread with relevant posts in that thread it could save a visitor some time reading everything, but it would still be expected to find that post in the first time.

If I quote @Stemedteacher, 'I agree this forum is difficult to find information unless you know what to search for..' What would help to make information easier found? The search feature works better than ever (ok, not perfect yet). Is terminology unknown for new users? So would a 'tutorial' help with suggested words?

A separate location where the most relevant posts are being collected (for example, a hall of fame? (could be something else, could be named different).

Ok, so I just typed out a huge response and while using my chromebook, hit post reply, and lost everything.... BAH

Ok so back to it again, I think that terminology is most certainly an issue. For new comers who don't know the terminology they may use the search function inappropriately. For example someone may say "Thing in back of the machine" which will net them very few useful responses when they should look for "feeder"

I think many people would benefit from some kind of startup academy, but the logistics of that are just insane to get to everyone across the world and to each potential Ultimaker customer. However, what if on the SD card that is shipped with each printer, rather than just the sample prints, you get a startup trainer? A little self launching program that can be used to teach people some of the beginning points of the printer. I would suggest a paper guide, but really most people don't even read those when they do have them. Everyone will use the SD card when they purchase a new machine, everyone will put it into a computer. Well unless they are a professional user buying more machines, in which case all they need to do is format the drive and go from there. This may be a potential way to encourage people to use the forums more for help too rather than get discouraged.

This is just an idea, and if it were something that would be pursued, I would think that this could be a great place for Ultimaker Pioneers to help develop the tools needed for this new user experience.

By doing this, you are giving support upon purchase and guidance of where to start and how to find help. While everyone may not use it, you have provided a service for those who do need this and want this to start with their machine to find success.

Just an idea though. Also back to the topic of the forum, much of the mentioned ideas are good, one of the challenges are keeping the "professionals" around to help answer questions for the new people. As mentioned and seen across the forum, many answers are given by a few people across the board, which it is great that these people either from the Ultimaker team or outside are here to help, it is also taxing. Using some kind of "Hall of Fame" would be helpful, but people need to know what its about and how to use it. Getting information to people where they will see it is really important.

Being a part of the Pioneer program I have learned a TON from my fellow pioneers. I teach engineering, so the uses for our machines are primarily function and strength of design. There are so many awesome opportunities I learned from art teachers, elementary teachers, math teachers etc. on using these tools in innovative ways. I think people will share their stories willingly. The challenge is how do you get the receiving end to see that and learn from others experiences.

• Like 1

I think there should be a clear distinction between:

how to use your printer -newbie version.

and

How to push things to the limit and over.

The first I'd see on the site somewhere, manual like. Much like there is now (I assume given all the questions people can't find it still, see feedback topic for some things there).

The second is really the hackers space part of the forum, perhaps it should even have it's own category, separate of all the hardware software etc distinctions.

• Like 2