Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
JimmyTime

Syncing Cura Settings Across 2+ PCs

Any easy way to ensure my Cura materials and settings are sync'd for two or more PC installations? I have Ultimakers (2+) used in 3 locations that I am trying to unify as best as possible. I want more than one PC to be able to quickly slice parts for print for them, but I have to manually keep all the settings sync'd.

--Jim--

We don't have a good way of doing that yet. It would theoretically be possible for Cura to also look at a remote location for profiles, but we haven't built such a feature yet.

With Unix systems you could fix this by making symbolic links. Not sure if Windows supports something like that.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the replies all, I didn't see them until I logged in this afternoon :)

Nallath, may I ask, is there a fairly short list of files that I could at least copy over to my home machine that would sync me up manually? I have already fiddled around with such an approach, but I saw I was a little inconsistent with what settings copied over with what files.

Also, I attempted at RIGHT on the day the new version was released to coincide with the UM3, so I would up with an older but 'synced' version of Cura on my machine alongside the new Cura by accident.

Nallath, may I ask, is there a fairly short list of files that I could at least copy over to my home machine that would sync me up manually?

Help-> show configuration folder

The files that are in there are the user generated profiles & machine instances. Copying those should do the trick.

Using symlinks on Windows should work with ex.Dropbox, i tried

Computer 1 : (where the cura settings i want to share are)

mklink /J C:\Users\robotisering\Dropbox\cura C:\Users\robotisering\AppData\Local\cura

Junction created for C:\Users\robotisering\Dropbox\cura <<===>> C:\Users\robotis

ering\AppData\Local\cura

computer 1 :

1 : "C:\Users\robotisering\Dropbox\cura" is the new cura settings folder on dropbox

2: "C:\Users\robotisering\AppData\Local\cura" is the local cura settings

computer 2 :

delete AppData\Local\cura

mklink /J C:\Users\catoh_000\AppData\Local\cura C:\Users\catoh_000\DropboxEC\Dropbox\cura

Junction created for C:\Users\catoh_000\AppData\Local\cura <<===>> C:\Users\cato

h_000\DropboxEC\Dropbox\cura

on computer 2 we now recreate the AppData\Local\cura with a symlink to the dropbox location

making these symlinks on 2 computers should share the settings over Dropbox

Edited by Guest

Like @ahoeben mentioned, we need the logs to see what is happening.

By the way, I see you've created links to the AppData directory, are these links hardlinks? It will need a additional library to be implemented to Cura to support Windows links (regular symbolic links). I already added this idea to our bug tracker, but the idea has been killed during the last CBE.

In my point of view, without the module "pylnk" it won't be possible to read these symbolic links, but if Windows supports hard links, it might work.

well, seems to work anyhow....after you sync the cura settings folder, you need to uinstall and reinstall cura....but i dont really know whats happening. Someone with knowhow of the cura inner workings should maybe try this.

BUT, both home office and work office computers are still symlinked with the common Dropbox settings folder for cura, and today at work, I printed with a 0.8mm nozzle and created a new profile (at work) and now when i'm home, i see that the 0,8mm profile is current in Cura after I started it.

Maybe it works, but maybe sync is slow and nothing is updated quick enough....because I now home, and I change settings in the 0.8mm profile.

Then i Remote Desktop into work computer but the change isnt there...yet.

Here at home in :

C:\Users\catoh_000\AppData\Local\cura\quality

the work created profile is synced.

ultimaker_original_normal+quality+0.8mm+nozzle.inst.cfg

but timestamp is 11:33 today (around lunch time)

if I go to same file at work(view with rdesktop), the same file timestamp is 23:14

and dropbox says its sync and up to date (but its not)

And if Cura is already loaded when I remote desktop and log in, I can use Cura, but if I start Cura on the remote machine, I get OpenGL error and Cura exits ?

Dropbox gets permission errors on cura.log, stderr.log and stdout.log because Cura is holding these files open, and since there is 2 computers with synced settings folder and both running Cura is holding the same 3 files open to write to them.

Can a command line option disable creation of these .log files ?

Like a -quiet option ?

well, http://superuser.com/questions/469776/how-to-exclude-files-not-folders-from-dropbox-sync

quit cura, deleted these .log files

made 3 new folders, cura.log, stderr.log and stdout.log

goto dropbox settings, edit selective sync,

uncheck cura.log, stderr.log and stdout.log

dropbox will now delete these folders and not sync them

the new .log files Cura will create when started will not sync either

Yes, running two Curas with the same synchronized settings folder will not sync settings correctly (or other running Curas won't automaticly update), if you for example change the layer height on one computer, it will be updated when you start Cura on the other computer, or exit Cura and restart it.

But it works very well now...

Edited by Guest