Having to use Move Material for additional prints

LePaul

Posted · Having to use Move Material for additional prints

I don't know if this is a firmware or Cura thing, but one of the biggest annoyances I keep facing is how much material gets retracted at the end of the print.

It seems like when I power on my Ultimaker 2+ and load a print, enough material is extruded to start the print. Once that print is complete and I load the next print, no material will extrude (or not enough) to ruin the attempt. (Even with 3 skirt lines!)

As a process, I have had to go into the Menu and Move Material and manually prime the extruder for that second, third, etc print.

That's become a bit of a hassle over time.

Is there a plan to fix this, either in Cura or firmware? Please?

I don't use that firmware.

You really should... I don't think UM will put resources on improving something that the community has already 'level up' a lot (I mean @tinkergnome ofc)

You really should... I don't think UM will put resources on improving something that the community has already 'level up' a lot (I mean @tinkergnome ofc)

I think this is a really terrible answer....don't ask, because Ultimaker won't fix it? So I should use someone else's firmware? I don't think that's acceptable.

Posted (edited) · Having to use Move Material for additional prints

I think this is a really terrible answer....don't ask, because Ultimaker won't fix it?  So I should use someone else's firmware?  I don't think that's acceptable.

Well, is a possible solution. For a UM answer, ask @sandervg @daid or @nallath They might have more info. If I would have wait for a UM solution I would have to turn on my UMO+ LEDs using gcode, but thanks to users like @amedee I got a nice and sexy firmware that doesn't come from UM, and works much better, and gets interesting updates.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Let me check :)

Hi LePaul,

I agree, Ultimaker should definitely fix this issue, so here are some questions!

1. Which version of Cura do you use to create the g-codes?

2. Are you running the latest firmware version?

3. It is normal for the Ultimaker 2+ to retract a few centimeter of filament to completely clear the hot end. This way your Ultimaker 2+ is protected from burning filament in the nozzle.

a) How far exactly is the material being retracted? (It should not be visible in the bowden tube on top of the print head.)

b) Has this always been an issue, or is it something new?

4. Does turning the printer off and on again before starting the next print, resolve the issue?

As you can see by my questions, I'm not completely sure where the issue lies. I hope you can answer a lot of them! :)

Thank you in advance,

Jeroen.

Hi LePaul,

I agree, Ultimaker should definitely fix this issue, so here are some questions!

1. Which version of Cura do you use to create the g-codes?

2. Are you running the latest firmware version?

3. It is normal for the Ultimaker 2+ to retract a few centimeter of filament to completely clear the hot end. This way your Ultimaker 2+ is protected from burning filament in the nozzle.

a) How far exactly is the material being retracted? (It should not be visible in the bowden tube on top of the print head.)

b) Has this always been an issue, or is it something new?

4. Does turning the printer off and on again before starting the next print, resolve the issue?

As you can see by my questions, I'm not completely sure where the issue lies. I hope you can answer a lot of them! :)

Thank you in advance,

Jeroen.

1) Latest version of Cura but it has done this with many previous versions.

2) Latest firmware (since Ultimaker 2+ upgrade installed)

3) I'm not sure how much is being retracted, I do not see the "tip" of the filament in the bowden tube, so it's staying within the print head. Move material doesn't tell me how much distance I am moving it to prime the print head again, but it takes 30 seconds of "moving"

4) If I power off the printer and on again, then load a print, it seems to lessen this issue.

It seems like when I power on my Ultimaker 2+ and load a print, enough material is extruded to start the print. Once that print is complete and I load the next print, no material will extrude (or not enough) to ruin the attempt. (Even with 3 skirt lines!)

@LePaul

I wonder, if you are using the 'standard' workflow - printing from SD-card with UltiGCode - or something different? Have you changed any machine settings in Cura and/or are you printing via USB/Octoprint?

...and the exact version numbers (and operation system) are interesting, "latest version" is too vague...

Printing from SD Card, using Cura 2.4 (Windows)

firmware.thumb.JPG.1aacfac2ff46ecbbd26d580984b69352.JPG

firmware.thumb.JPG.1aacfac2ff46ecbbd26d580984b69352.JPG

• Like 1

I have this same issue. I did not used to be like this. Back in the Cura 15/16 days (and corresponding firmware), the end-of-print and end-of-filament-change retractions were something sane.

I do not know exactly when the change happened, but at some point around Cura 2.1 (as I seem to recall fuzzily), end-of-print and end-of-filament-change retractions got longer. Too long.

Or possibly it started when I upgraded to from UM2 to UM2+. Not sure.

Also, I have/had this issue with both stock and tinker firmwares. I have never used USB printing, and I have never changed retraction settings in tinker until I started seeing the issue. I have not figured out how to solve it even with tinker firmware.

And the problem seems exacerbated when using the 0.25mm nozzle, but maybe not. It might be the same too-much and not more too-much, if that makes any sense. :)

So, LePaul is not alone. :)

Since I have the tinker firmware right now, maybe it would help to know what the "normal" default stock 2+ values should be. I could then compare to see if my settings are off. Still, factory reset does not fix this.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit. :)

• Like 1

Do you eject the sd card before removing it from your pc? If you don't some gcode might not get written and the gcode which was previously present on the SD card might get executed.

Do you eject the sd card before removing it from your pc? If you don't some gcode might not get written and the gcode which was previously present on the SD card might get executed.

Always eject.

All the gcode is intact viewing in Notepad ++

Note it's not just me having this problem

Same. Always eject.

Any progress on this?

Hi,

I've had direct contact with LePaul.

After a firmware upgrade to the latest version, it seems as the problem disappeared. For anyone stuck on this:

1. Download the latest version of Cura here
    2. Upgrade your Ultimaker 2+ firmware.
    3. On the machine, go to Maintenance > Factory reset (to clear any faulty data)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Well I hate to say this....it is still happening

I just finished an 8 hour printer (from Cura) and went to start another print. After the print started, it did the usual priming but nothing came out. I left it alone and by the second skirt pass, i was getting little dots and finally some material coming out. I aborted the print and went in Maintenance on the Ultimaker 2+ menu and Move Material.

Here's the last section of gcode for that print if it helps at all?

G1 X108.094 Y60.877 E7637.16175
    G0 F9000 X107.95 Y60.888
    G0 X107.895 Y60.892
    ;TIME_ELAPSED:37697.600969
    G10
    M107
    ;End of Gcode
    ;SETTING_3 {"global_quality": "[general]\\nversion = 2\\nname = empty\\ndefiniti
    ;SETTING_3 on = ultimaker2_plus\\n\\n[metadata]\\ntype = quality_changes\\nquali
    ;SETTING_3 ty_type = fast\\n\\n[values]\\nadhesion_type = skirt\\ncoasting_enabl
    ;SETTING_3 e = True\\ncool_fan_speed = 90\\ninfill_pattern = triangles\\ninfill_
    ;SETTING_3 sparse_density = 50\\nlayer_height = 0.2\\nretraction_combing = off\\
    ;SETTING_3 nsupport_enable = True\\nsupport_type = buildplate\\ntop_bottom_thick
    ;SETTING_3 ness = 1.2\\nwall_thickness = 1.2\\n\\n"}