Flexible Filament?

zephirl

Posted · Flexible Filament?

Hey!

I’ve been looking around in a few posts, but I haven’t found anything convincing.

Has anybody actually printed big (or small) parts with flexible filament?

I’ve been trying to print some stuff with my flexible filament on my UM2 but without success.

Do you have any tips/tricks that could help me print stuff with this kind of filament?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Printing with flexibles on Bowden fed printers can be a nightmare. I've had real problems in the past, but I obtained a sample of a new material at the TCT show last September that is very, very good. It is marketed by Verbatim and is called 55507 Primalloy 2.85mm. The guys on the stand said it works well on UM printers, and the results that I get agree.

It depends on what you consider flexible. Ultimaker has a flexible material called pp. It is not as flexible as other materials that i have printed.. However, It still is alot more fexible then PLA. I have printed succesfully with PP material using the default settings. I am hoping to print with another flexible material soon.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:36 AM, zephirl said:

Do you have any tips/tricks that could help me print stuff with this kind of filament?

Thanks!

@zephirl,

It seems like nobody answered your original question.  Here's my bit of advice for printing flexible filament:

1. Use a slower print speed.  Try 25mm/s
    2. Turn off retraction
    3. Print at a relatively large layer height, such as 0.2mm
    4. You might also try increasing the print head temperature a bit, just to get the material flowing well.
    • Like 2

If you have the old ultimaker 2 feeder (the black one) then it will most likeley fail. 

Either you change it for the famous lRobertl feeder with the filament guide, or you upgrade to the 2+ feeder which works nicely with semiflex filaments. It can be a bit tricky but should work.

Slow and constant speeds are indeed the main trick

NinjaTek Cheetah prints very well on UM2. I just used their recommended settings and it worked great. NinjaTek actually used UM printers to test the material.

Posted (edited) · Flexible Filament?
    On 21-12-2017 at 5:56 AM, DidierKlein said:

or you upgrade to the 2+ feeder

Besides the UM2+ feeder (which is fine) ,  also a bondtech feeder is a good option.

The Ultimaker feeder is notoriously difficult to get as a loose product, in the Netherlands it's euro 144 ex tax. The bondtech QR is a little cheaper for euro135 ex tax.

http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/extruders/

There's also a bondtech DDG extruder, but it reuses parts of the Ultimaker + feeder, and if you already have an Ultimaker + feeder for most people there will be no need to upgrade.

Edited by ultiarjan

Here's an example of Verbatim's Primalloy flexible filament (right) compared with the best result I have obtained with any other filament previously (I think the one on the left was PolyFlex). These objects are approx 12mm dia. They were both printed on a UM2 with original black feeder, using 0.4mm nozzle on Olsson Block.

VerbatimPrimalloy.jpg.f63b71b8e10a2f88e6190525565ff1a2.jpg

Edited by vitalsparks
    spelling

TPU95 ultimaker. Sealing gasket for window 1:32 locomotive. Default profile 0.06 mm

First test was with PLA to see if will work (very small details)

20171007_190334.thumb.jpg.b3459c13b7418b245313bb70f6b19e3c.jpg20170905_200329.thumb.jpg.9f5f4fe5a1ef03f390fe9421dea8a3aa.jpg

Edited by Gigi
    add picture

Hey All! I know this is an old post, but I have a question about the 'maximum flexibility' that one can get away with on an UM3. Does anyone have any experience with printing NinjaTek Eel on an UM3? Thanks for any insights on this!