Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

Having had to abort  a print so that I can clean out the feeder, I can say that the prints are now going into the recent history. Dunno why it missed that first print, but it is starting to work now as expected.

But it is still "aborting" a print when it detects difference in nozzle heights. This means going back into the history, reloading, repositioning the print order and restarting the process. This is a pain to deal with, especially since this is not behaviour on the UM3 side of things.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions
    20 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Having had to abort  a print so that I can clean out the feeder, I can say that the prints are now going into the recent history. Dunno why it missed that first print, but it is starting to work now as expected.

Curious; why are you having to clean the feeder?

For your information; my S5 stopped a print twice stating that it was out of material when the PVA filament became bound on the spool and could no longer be pushed through the Bowden tube so preemptively I opened the feeder after the print expecting all sorts of dust and chips but it was clean.

By the way; have you loaded the new firmware?

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling

26 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

By the way; have you loaded the new firmware?

yes.

26 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

Curious; why are you having to clean the feeder?

Filament can get ground up for a variety of reasons. One such as you mentioned is getting bound up in the spool and when the feeder tries to pull on it, it will grind a bit. Just good to do a bit of cleaning every now and then is all.

36 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

yes.

Filament can get ground up for a variety of reasons. One such as you mentioned is getting bound up in the spool and when the feeder tries to pull on it, it will grind a bit. Just good to do a bit of cleaning every now and then is all.

Cool... I appreciate your insight.

• Thanks 1

I have a question about the handling when filament really runs out. I have currently a print running and know that I will run out of filament tomorrow afternoon. I think when the sensor detects that there is no more filament left, the end of the filament is already in the Bowden tube.

I am asking me what's the best way to load the new spool? Just leave the rest in the Bowden and load the new one, is probably the worst idea I guess. So unload of the rest will not work anymore, therefore open the Bowden at the feeder end, take out the rest and then load normally?

Or is it better to catch the moment before it is really out and pause manually and unload / load as normal?

Thanks!

I have the S5 since a week. I made some print but I have to abort some, because my PVA is very dry and so it break in the tube. But the successful print are much better than old wooden Ultimaker. 

My S5 is connected via LAN (I really miss the option of a fixed IP Adress) 

In the morning my last print was finished and I got an info that there is a new firmware. I tried to update, but it fails with error code 27

After that switched the printer off and on and make the update via menu. It was successfully but the history is complete empty.

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I have a question about the handling when filament really runs out. I have currently a print running and know that I will run out of filament tomorrow afternoon. I think when the sensor detects that there is no more filament left, the end of the filament is already in the Bowden tube.

I am asking me what's the best way to load the new spool? Just leave the rest in the Bowden and load the new one, is probably the worst idea I guess. So unload of the rest will not work anymore, therefore open the Bowden at the feeder end, take out the rest and then load normally?

Or is it better to catch the moment before it is really out and pause manually and unload / load as normal?

Thanks!

I can only share what I know others to have done; simply load the new roll with the feeder latch loose and push the new filament in as if loading an empty Bowden tube. Secure the feeder latch and select continue and it will push the remainder through as used.

The only issue I see with this practice is until the material that was left in the Bowden tube is consumed retractions will be a skewed.

Having shared this; I would likely remove the material in the Bowden tube and then you will need to feed the new material all the way through the Bowden tube to the Print Core because selecting continue does not feed the filament through the Bowden tube.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shadowman said:

Having shared this; I would likely remove the material in the Bowden tube and then you will need to feed the new material all the way through the Bowden tube to the Print Core because selecting continue does not feed the filament through the Bowden tube.

Basically go to the material section and choose the material and then change. then follow the prompts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shadowman said:

I would likely remove the material in the Bowden tube and then you will need to feed the new material all the way through the Bowden tube to the Print Core

Thanks, I think this will also be my preferred way. The other way sounds not so bad, but I will try that first with a smaller print.

Today in the morning, I had a 24h print running, the printer paused because of a problem with the filament (normal PLA). I checked the spool, but everything was ok, maybe too much friction or something like that but after clicking continue the printer resumed but the stop is visible in the model. The layer of the stop/resume looks like unterextrusion, so I think next time when this happens, I will push the filament manually forward before click on continue. Maybe the printer make a retraction before pausing, would make sense and then don't move it forward again. How knows, or it was just a bad combination of whatever.

4 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Basically go to the material section and choose the material and then change. then follow the prompts.

Do you think the rest of the filament will come out itself without opening the Bowden tube?

3 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Will this complete a complete load process?

If yes; are you saying;

When the out of material messsge is displayed to go to load material and complete the process as if no print in running and once completed go back to the main screen and select continue?

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Do you think the rest of the filament will come out itself without opening the Bowden tube?

I don’t think can; I think you would have to remove the Bowden tube and the old filament, insert the Bowden tube and then begin the load process otherwise it will simply chew away on the filament in the feeder or appear as out because the filament can’t move.

Just my thoughts 

Let's see, I can told you the outcome of the filament change probably tomorrow evening. I am curious what will happen ?

Steps:

1. The filament sensor stops printing
    2. This means it is either jammed or out of material
    3. If jammed, clear jam
    4. If out of material:
    5. go to material section of S5 commands
    6. Choose the material (not the core)
    7. It will only present change in this configuration
    8. Select change.
    9. Follow prompts. It will unload material. Material sensor is before the material feeder wheel and will be able to back out unless really ground down.
    10. After unloading material it will prompt you to put on new material and proceed when it is inserted.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Material sensor is before the material feeder wheel and will be able to back out unless really ground down.

Sounds good!

Thanks @kmanstudios, now I am looking forward the run out of the filament more relaxed ? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Sounds good!

Thanks @kmanstudios, now I am looking forward the run out of the filament more relaxed ? 

So am I; LOL

I have deal with spool wrap jams but not an out of filament situation so I await your results.

I just loaded a 4 day print with the new S5 firmware and this will be my first usage of the Ultimaker Breakaway materiel; I am anxious to see how it performs. I have been using PVA filament exclusively since the S5 arrived with good results except........... for the structural integrity of the Prime Tower.

Hopefully the development team gets the issues resolved within Ultimaker Cura 3.?????? as I understand that the Prime Tower is one of the issues being tended to.

1 minute ago, Shadowman said:

I understand that the Prime Tower is one of the issues being tended to.

I stopped using the prime towewr ages ago.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions
    2 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I stopped using the prime towewr ages ago.

Do you use much PVA?

I ask because without the Prime Tower the PVA support process came out pretty rough with strings and crapola everywhere.

Have you used the Breakaway material?

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling

4 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

Have you used the Breakaway material?

I used it one time with a smaller print and it was fine. Breakaway sounds very fragile but it is more than stable. I had to use some pliers to get the material off, but it breaks really exactly where it should and there was afterwards nearly no cleanup needed.

One tip, use some gloves when breaking off the support....

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I used it one time with a smaller print and it was fine. Breakaway sounds very fragile but it is more than stable. I had to use some pliers to get the material off, but it breaks really exactly where it should and there was afterwards nearly no cleanup needed.

One tip, use some gloves when breaking off the support....

Thank you and gloves will be used.

32 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

Do you use much PVA?

I use tons of PVA.

2 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I use tons of PVA.

Mr. PVA ? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Smithy said: