Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Carla_Birch

Replacement S5 glass build plate?

Our reseller says they can't give us any availability date... this is actually quite frustrating! What do we do if the current build plate breaks? Organize some glass sheet from somewhere? I find this ridiculous for a 6000+€ machine...

If the glass breaks then send it back maybe.  Or threaten to.  I doubt it will break though.  I have been printing on glass since the Um2 came out a few years ago.  All 7 of my printers have glass.  Haven't had to replace one yet.  I've had a few chips come out and had to flip some over.  Hopefully your reseller will have some extra by then.  Keep bugging your reseller for now or contact a larger reseller in the area.

I know two people who - as part of their process - take the glass off as soon as every print is done and put on a fresh glass and start the next print while waiting for the previous print to cool.  They have both been able to get spare glass for the S5 but one of them I think got non-ultimaker glass from some 3rd party.