Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
peter-parnes

Ultimaker2 information

Open source

Just like the Original the Ultimaker 2 will remain open source. We dare to share our knowledge because we believe we can achieve even more when working together.

Sounds great... where's the source? I looked over the website, wiki, and github but didn't find anything.

Hopefully, UM Ltd. will continue its recent trend to offer the few odd and single source parts with the release of the UM2. Only recently have parts like the cartridge heater and TC become available to builders and an .stl file for the injection molded parts showed up on Youmagine. It's true that one can redesign and improvise with the original UM and build a functionally identical printer but, looking at the photos of the UM2, it appears to contain many more specialized and difficult to procure or fabricate parts than the original UM. Redesign and improvisation on a self-sourced UM2 project will likely prove to be even more difficult than with the original UM.

Historically, all the parts contained in the original UM have proven to be more difficult to obtain than a typical open source 3D printer and I suspect that, in practice, the UM2 will be even worse. There's a difference between good open source design and an open source marketing tool!

The UM2 parts are difficult to source. But some parts are easier then from the UM-Original. Most of the injection molded parts are printable, except for the slider-blocks (which are not strong enough when printed) The dibond panels are difficult to source in 6mm, but can be replaced with other materials. The hotend bits are custom, will be expensive in low amounts. Rods, belts, motors, doable. Z motor is a difficult one. But pretty much, you are better off self-sourcing an UM-Original, it's cheaper.

But the thermocouple has been replaced with a PT100 for example, which is easy to source.

Anyhow, I think you all know I do not like marketing too much. And yes, we are planning to OpenSource all the files of the UM2, but not from the start. But we will put up the UM-Original files (All of it, 3D files, documentation, BOM) within the next few weeks.

Source-code of firmware will be released when we start shipping. And Cura is already OpenSource (hell, those who has been paying attention will notice that I already pushed UM2 info into the github repository)

Thanks, Daid.

I like what you are reporting here! I can mill slider blocks. Too bad about the hot end parts and (surprisingly) the Z-motor. (Why isn't an off-the-self motor used for Z, given that there's a plethora of motor designs readily available?)

I must comment again that, even before watching Erik's announcement of the UM2 yesterday, I've noticed a bit of a shift toward improvements in open-source projects support from UM Ltd.. It's proof that UM Ltd. may be "putting more of its money where its mouth is (or Erik's mouth yesterday)!" I've noted the additional parts available from the UM web store and the release of the .stl file for the injection molded parts on Youmagine. These steps are much appreciated! I guess a factor might also be that UM Ltd. is more willing to reveal its former crown jewels and increase support in the spirit of open source, now that the UM2 has been released.

Oh--I keep forgetting to ask you something. Is your Steamengine source code from Cura open? That's the only part of Cura that really interests me. You appear to be notably advancing the art and science of slicer engines and, in the spirit of the open source initiative, I think the fruit of your labor should be shared. :)

The UM2 parts are difficult to source. But some parts are easier then from the UM-Original. Most of the injection molded parts are printable, except for the slider-blocks (which are not strong enough when printed) The dibond panels are difficult to source in 6mm, but can be replaced with other materials. The hotend bits are custom, will be expensive in low amounts. Rods, belts, motors, doable. Z motor is a difficult one. But pretty much, you are better off self-sourcing an UM-Original, it's cheaper.

But the thermocouple has been replaced with a PT100 for example, which is easy to source.

Anyhow, I think you all know I do not like marketing too much. And yes, we are planning to OpenSource all the files of the UM2, but not from the start. But we will put up the UM-Original files (All of it, 3D files, documentation, BOM) within the next few weeks.

Source-code of firmware will be released when we start shipping. And Cura is already OpenSource (hell, those who has been paying attention will notice that I already pushed UM2 info into the github repository)

At the moment we have to prioritize certain things, but Ultimaker-shirts will be made available in the shop.

Unfortunately, at the moment we are still very occupied with other activities.

Among others, events, new website, Ultimaker 2, tons of questions :)

Next in line: First European Maker Faire > Rome.

Hopefully I will meet some of you there!

Hi Sander,

I won't be in Rome, I am very sorry about that but I really hope you will find some time to read and respond to my e-mail to 'info' because I would like to place some orders for my new business ;-) !

Kind regards and good luck in Rome, Guy Janssen, XS23D

It will be made available yes on a short term.

We need some time to get everything organised and make some tweaks in the firmware and software.

As you can see the hardware is ready.

How short? Since I want to order one for the school I work on (in Nijmegen), it would be perfect to have one that only needs a firmware update (aka; could I order one with two extruders and update it later?) I'm exited non the less.

Thanks

I don't have an exact date yet, so I would like to ask for some more patience right now.

It will be offered as an upgrade pack, as you are used from us.

So you could buy an Ultimaker 2 now, upgrade it later and you will have the dual extrusion :)

Since the UM2 is supposed to be more plug-n-print than the previous generation, will there ever be an option to order a pre-assembled UM2 with the dual extruders already installed and calibrated? If so, would this be available two or three months down the road or more like a year?