Recovering a bricked Ultimaker S5

Posted · Recovering a bricked Ultimaker S5
18 hours ago, gr5 said:

If you have the S5R1 then I recommend you order the Olimex-serial-F cable now just in case.  It's only  $7 at digikey.com. 

And get a uSD card if you don't have one (I think it must be 4-32GB range). 

Just do the unbricking procedure.  You don't have much choice at this point.  I think you have to contact your reseller.  Let them know if you have the S5R1 or S5R2.

Thanks I ordered the components.  I don't have the unbricking procedure and my reseller is less than helpful so far.  I called first thing this morning and was told everyone was busy helping other people.  They took my name and number and said someone would get back to me shortly.  Well late this afternoon with no call from them I called back.  Same person, super nice and perky but useless for information.  I was told someone was working my issue.  I said this is a known issue what is there to work?  "I don't understand you found a solution on the internet?"  She was politely stalling.  Again she said someone would be back to me shortly.  I then pressed her to define shortly... a day or two!  Wow I will never buy another thing from them... pathetic at best!!!

• Like 1

I have some unbricking information here: http://gr5.org/unbricking   However I'm guessing you have the S5R2 and much of the advice on that web page is for the R1 (release 1).  The R1 has a robot image on the 2 side panels.  The R2 has a "U" on the 2 side panels.

• 4 months later...

@gr5 Can you help me?

I have bricked S5R1. I want to recovery firmware with few different recovery images  (official Ultimaker and yours) but unsuccessful. 

If I used "official" Ultimaker recovery file um-restore-5.7.2-R1 nothing happened (display shows penguin).

If I used your recovery file gr-S5-R1 or um-restore-6.4.0-R1-gr recovering started, but stayed in "about 2 minutes remaining" forever.

Is there any solution to resolve the problem?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My company S5 has died today out of nowhere. It seems to be a systematic issue. Lets see what the german support company has to say. Im actually not really happy about this downtime. I have still print projects to do and it was not easy to get the printer in the first place and it fails me over and over again. 😢

IMG_20211129_083515.thumb.jpg.e1d76301809532ad9260b75659a7e1a2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello, new to the forum but have the same issue as above.

We have 2 x S5 (R1) units bought from RS for prototyping. Both have worked fine, until 1 just stopped at the penguin screen with

ULTIMAKER U-Boot 2016.05 - Ultimaker-00017-g68b3b1c

Can someone point me to the full recovery procedure, or img files I need. 

The unit was running 5.6.8.

I am an electronics engineer so well aware of any safety concerns.

S5 R1 has a code name of 9051 so getting an img file with 9051 or R1 in the path or filename is wise.  So hopefully you figured how to get to the first post in this topic (go back to first page of results in this topic).  If you google "image recovery procedure S5 ultimaker" I think you can probably find the official directions.  here are some img files - not sure if they are still there. 

DO NOT USE THESE ON NEWER S5 PRINTERS - ONLY R1 VERSION WHICH HAS ROBOT ON SIDE PANEL, NOT THE LARGE "U"

S5R1 https://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/9051/stable/6.2.2/um-restore-6.2.2-R1.img

http://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/9051/stable/5.7.3/um-restore-5.7.3-R1.img

I might have more links - certainly links that work - on my unbricking web page that I mention above.

Your hard drive (SSD) is probably corrupt and likely needs to be repartitioned and/or reformatted.  The newer recovery images do this automatically.  Again, my unbricking web page tells you which versions have this feature.

If you do the google search I mention earlier in this post you can find the latest images which will definitely repartition and reformat and then you can switch to an older img if you want.

gr5 .... thanks for the prompt reply. YEs, the unit has HW ID : 9051-0.

It is a S5 R1 with FW 5.6.8.

I cant find an image file with 5.6.8 in it . Can you point me to your website and in particular the bit you highlighted above. I had assumed a simple process of getting the right .img file, using diskimager (or equiv) to burn to the SD and putting in the unit. The correct stuff will be copied across ...  or have I been a bit naive? 🙂

Thanks.

You just need a version *older* than 5.6.8 and if it starts working then you can upgrade the "normal" way using the internet or USB flash drive.

Trying to get exactly version 5.6.8 is tricky.  The only people who know that stuff are Ultimaker support or resellers.  I can help you with that but I think I posted a link to 5.7.3 above.  Isn't that close enough?

So to get 5.6.8 or older I guess the best way is to click the 9 dots in the upper right corner of this window, then click "support", then near the top do "submit a case".  That should hopefully go straight to UM in Netherlands (sometimes it might go to your reseller) where they can point you to where to get the img file you want.  Assure them that you will be careful not to electrocute yourself and assure them that you have the R1 with the "robot" on the side and the 9051 id.  You might want to include your serial number as well but then they can look up your reseller and might move your request on to them.

Link to my website is just a few posts above but here it is again:  gr5.org/unbricking/

There are many helpful posts I believe earlier in this thread.

Posted (edited) · Recovering a bricked Ultimaker S5
    On 4/13/2023 at 3:52 PM, gr5 said:

S5 R1 has a code name of 9051 so getting an img file with 9051 or R1 in the path or filename is wise.  So hopefully you figured how to get to the first post in this topic (go back to first page of results in this topic).  If you google "image recovery procedure S5 ultimaker" I think you can probably find the official directions.  here are some img files - not sure if they are still there. 

DO NOT USE THESE ON NEWER S5 PRINTERS - ONLY R1 VERSION WHICH HAS ROBOT ON SIDE PANEL, NOT THE LARGE "U"

S5R1 https://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/9051/stable/6.2.2/um-restore-6.2.2-R1.img

http://software.ultimaker.com/releases/firmware/9051/stable/5.7.3/um-restore-5.7.3-R1.img

I might have more links - certainly links that work - on my unbricking web page that I mention above.

Your hard drive (SSD) is probably corrupt and likely needs to be repartitioned and/or reformatted.  The newer recovery images do this automatically.  Again, my unbricking web page tells you which versions have this feature.

If you do the go tutgle search I mention earlier in this post you can find the latest images which will definitely repartition and reformat and then you can switch to an older img if you want.

Does those two recovery images contain the boot.scr file?
    Is it just to insert the SD-card and turn the printer on to install the recovery image, or are any other measures required to install the recovery image?

EDIT:
    Ok, so I found the 6.1.1 recovery file.
    Here's my situation

While updating from 5.7.2 on my S5R1 the update got stuck at "2 minutes remaining".
    Now, if I just turn the printer on, it displays the Ultimaker logo, then after a while shows a black screen, turn the light on and shows the Ultimaker logo again and gets stuck.

If I insert the recovery.img or the 5.7.3 recovery image, the same thing happens.

If I inser the 6.1.1 or 6.2.2 recovery images, the S5 first shows the Linux (penguin) logo for a while, then the Ultimaker logo, and then it pops back into the "installing firmare, 2 minutes remaining" screen and gets stuck there.

I'm a bit surprised here, I would have expected a recovery image to boot from the SD-card and install the recovery image.

Any advice on how to go on from here would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by X-Type

EDIT: Never mind this post.

This was a little bit dangerous, I didn't notice I had the serial interface set to 5V, but the Olimex survived. Getting proper data now.

---

Ok, carrying on, hooked up the serial port at 115200 8N1 but I am only getting garbage, like I am at the wrong speed. Tried several other speeds, but no luck.

Edited by X-Type

WHAT ON EARTH?

After I got the serial working I saw the lines

Restore complete, remove the recovery SD card and powercycle the printer.
    Restore complete, remove the recovery SD card and powercycle the printer.

And when I checked the printer screen, it says

Firmware sucessfully installed

Pull me backwards, as we say in Swedish. 
    It seems obvious to me just hooking up the serial port got it to recover properly. Very strange.

Well, what do you know, finally my printer is back up. Thank you to those of you who have contributed with how-to-recover-info, especially @gr5

Edited by X-Type

Well congratulations.  The serial cable had nothing to do with it but trying several times had a lot to do with it.  I don't really understand it and I would have had some advice but now you don't need it.  🙂