Recovering a bricked Ultimaker S5

Posted (edited) · Recovering a bricked Ultimaker S5

Hi guys!

I'd like to ask for your help. One of our client reported that his UmS5 can't boot up, after powering it up it shows the linux logo. This started happening after the last two firmware updates. I guess the second update got interrupted.

Now on the Um3 you can reflash the firmware from a recovery image using a micro sd card and the "hidden" sd card reader on the bottom of the olimex board.

I'd like to ask if the same is possible on an S5 and if so could you point me in the right direction to the S5 recovery image file, please.

(Pictures show the Um3)

1.jpg2.jpg

Edited by Daniel_Josvai
  • Like 1

Posted · Recovering a bricked Ultimaker S5

For the S5 I'm afraid you need to go through your distributor to get this handled. Only people who have been through the official training with UM are allowed to do this procedure on the S5.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is indeed the same procedure but different firmware and the other major difference is that you can die.  Seriously.  So let your distributor do it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Due to the fact that it is not intended for the end customer to repair such things, the recovery image is also not available for download.

Is there a way to get my hands on the recovery image?

My goal is to implement the display of the S5 into my UM3. Thus far I only have a bare A20 board and the LCD but no firmware yet.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Had this same thing happen to me today when I updated the firmware on my S5  to 5.5.12 and seriously I keep getting nothing but issues from updates, Does nobody test these updates before they are released?

• Like 2

Yes there are various testing stages and testing teams. However, software is complex and you might be experiencing an issue that nobody at Ultimaker ever experienced. Your case might be quite rare.

Please try a firmware reboot to factory settings.

If that doesn't help them contact your reseller.

What ever you do don't touch the internal circuitry. Some elements can store a deadly charge even when the machine is not connected to the outlet any more.

How can I do a factory reboot if I can’t even get a screen that I can push any buttons on? Everything is gone and only a photo of a penguin is visible? How can I do a factory reset? I’d be happy if I could just do that

B3F56E18-1582-466B-B40C-9BA3E93C8BDF.jpeg

• Like 1

Contact your reseller.  In your situation I'm pretty sure they are the only ones who will help you.  There is a procedure.  They have the procedure.  If you had any other model (UM3, S3) this would be easier.

I don't have an S5 but have looked at this off and on since its release. 

Not to be too picky here, but how did we get to the point where one needs a distributor to correct a firmware update?  I don't live anywhere near a distributor.  This would be a big deal.

I get the hazard warning with stored charges and the advice to avoid exposure is wise.  But the philosophy behind such a creation, coming from Ultimaker of all places, surprises me.

Now, this place is full of people waaay smarter than me.  Is there any possibility down the road of creating an interface unit that can allow a field recovery without risk of death?  I mean, seriously, what will we do when the S5 is no longer supported by distributors?

J

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

A 3.5 day print finished on our S5 Pro over the weekend. I removed the print, shut the machine off, and went to prepare the next model. Turning the S5 back on yielded the Linux boot screen (Black Screen of Death). I did nothing but cycle the power while the machine was between print jobs. 

I am waiting for instructions from UM. Their tech said I should be able to re-flash the firmware with a microSD. Meanwhile, our parts production languishes at Zero, so to speed recovery I canvassed the forum and came across this thread. It's not a reassuring read, to be honest. 

I look forward to seeing more information on the subject. 

photo_2020-06-01_08-46-14.jpg

You don't have much choice.  And it's really not a big deal to reflash.  The only tricky part is getting someone to tell you where the "flash" versions of the firmware can be found.

Oh - and on the S5 there are deadly voltages under the cover and for a while I believe UM refused to let customers open that up but now they have some kind of document that they gave to all resellers and if you promise to follow the document perfectly then they are okay with you taking the cover off and reflashing.  The UM3 and S3 don't have the deadly voltages issue as you can reflash without uncovering a power supply.

Good news! One of UM's techs has offered me access to the information, software, and hardware I need to repair our S5 Pro and get it back in production. I find it amusing that I'm using our trusty Lulzbot to print the UM-required safety plugs to repair the S5 Pro. 

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

Oh - and on the S5 there are deadly voltages under the cover and for a while I believe UM refused to let customers open that up but now they have some kind of document that they gave to all resellers and if you promise to follow the document perfectly then they are okay with you taking the cover off and reflashing.  The UM3 and S3 don't have the deadly voltages issue as you can reflash without uncovering a power supply.

Gr5, you are entirely correct: The instructions are explicit. You can kill yourself--literally--for cheap with an S5. I'm not flinchy when it comes to dealing with electronics, but it is helpful to know that I need to be v..e..r..y   c..a..r..e..f..u..l. 

Also, before opening the bottom plate, I want to be sure I have UM's permission to do so without voiding the warranty. Since I don't have the luxury of time to ship the machine out for service, I am grateful for the opportunity to service the machine myself. The only thing I would wish differently in this scenario is that the machine's software would be stable from the start. 

On 3/8/2020 at 6:21 AM, Ultimakercam said:

Please let me know how to do a factory reset from this screen, I’ve got a customer that needs a product yesterday already and nobody seems to be available on the weekends

To anyone else who may have this very frustrating and seemingly pointless problem, be advised that recovery cannot be done from the GUI. You have to open the hardware and perform a manual operation. To gain access to the instructions and firmware you need, I recommend you open a support ticket with UM via Fabric8. If you value your life and warranty, get your information and software from official sources. 

Edited by TrueNorth
    Outdated response.
    • Like 2

fbrc8 only services USA.  For other countries talk to your reseller.  I forget the terminology but each reseller reports to a distributor ("master reseller"?  regional seller?).  You might get passed on to that other company but at some point you will get instructions just like @TrueNorth did.

I FIXED IT!!!!

I had the same problem... and its insane we cant update the firmware ourselves... this machine should have a factory reset button you access with a paper clip like all other machines BTW!

SO, I tried like 30 or 40 reboots, sometimes using the power plug, sometimes unplugging the material station... and non of that worked...  sometimes it hung on an all white display, sometimes it hung at the ultimaker logo screeen... I never got to the menu..

But the long term charge on the capacitors got me thinking... I unplugged the machine overnight!  In the morning it booted up!  first time I'd gotten my machine back in weeks!!!

Edited by CaptainAl
    • Like 1

5 hours ago, CaptainAl said:

But the long term charge on the capacitors got me thinking... I unplugged the machine overnight!  In the morning it booted up!  first time I'd gotten my machine back in weeks!!!

Great to hear that you are back in business.

I am just curious, but I think you have just unplugged the power cable and the printer was still switched on that the capacitor was able to discharge right?

I left it unplugged overnight... when i tried unplugging for 30 seconds it seems that it wasnt doing a cold reboot...

But unplugging it overnight I am now able to get to the menu screen... Im still having problems printing though...  It gives me an unspecified error with a QR code... ive tried to factory reset in the menu, but it wont roll back the firmare...

Ive tried upgrading the firmware from 5.7.2 to 5.8.1 but it fails.. Ive tried over WiFi... and Ive tried with USB stick and it always fails.  I have the 2 yeard S5 with the robot logo on the side.  I'm using the correct firmware as this links says:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011545559-Update-the-Ultimaker-S5-firmware

I ordereded another S5.. dont know what else to do...

• Like 1

As someone looking at purchasing a nearly $10k printer bundle this is slightly unnerving to think it can still get bricked, and if it does, it has to be sent back.

How common is this?

Was the problem ever fixed with the OP?

• Like 1

Updating the firmware is generally safe, but nobody can ensure 100% that nothing happens. But if something happens, most of these issues can be easily resolved by the user itself, like restarting or like this case, leave the printer switched off overnight. 

In case it is really bricked and nothing works anymore, you will get instructions from your reseller how to unblock it again, so there is normally no need to bring the printer back to service.

Argh, mine just bricked on a firmware update.  First I got the error with the QR code.  Waited like it said to resolve.  Played with Cura, Updated Cura, no joy...

Finally shut it off and when I turn it on I get the Linux screen of death...

So frustrating on a firmware update.  Quite honestly we don't print that much and a huge reason we went with the Ultimaker was we didn't want a Project Printer... I get issues but firmware bricking a machine with no reasonable way to quickly/easily resolve... serious miss!

I am going to try the let it sit unplugged over night but not hopeful... argh!

• Like 1

If you have the S5R1 then I recommend you order the Olimex-serial-F cable now just in case.  It's only  $7 at digikey.com. 

And get a uSD card if you don't have one (I think it must be 4-32GB range). 

Just do the unbricking procedure.  You don't have much choice at this point.  I think you have to contact your reseller.  Let them know if you have the S5R1 or S5R2.