Ultimaker Cura 4.2 beta available

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.2 beta available

Ultimaker Cura 4.2 beta is now available. Check out the blog for some feature highlights, or download it now to discover what’s new.

42-hero-user-context-1920x1080.jpg

During the beta phase, user feedback is really valuable to us, and our developers are on hand to answer any queries you have. Feel free to tell us what you like, and please report any bugs you encounter so that they can stabilize the next release.

We’ve hosted the beta version on GitHub for now. This is because our product pages have just switched over to a new platform. We’re working to reimplement beta hosting on the product page eventually.

Reporting bugs

Bugs (that are clearly bugs) are best posted on our GitHub issues page. Talking about "This isn't doing what I want it to do" is perfectly okay in the forum, right here. 

When reporting a bug, please fill in the issue template and provide logs.

We hope you enjoy this release!

I'd like to see some support added to Cura to allow USB connection. I know that many modern printers have wifi, but my older one (Cocoon Create-Australia/Wanhao rebadged) doesn't. Is that a possible future update?

@andy3820 While it isn't under any active development any more, we do support USB connections for at least some printers. The USB detection may or may not work for certain models, but it is there.

Some nice changes here. However, I am somewhat concerned about the "Flow per feature" feature. I suspect people will try to fix levelling or printer issues by changing these settings instead. Only giving them more issues with over or under extrusion in different parts.
    As a person who gives a lot of advice on how to slice with Cura, I often see suggestions in facebook groups that only hides the symptoms and not addresses the cause of an issue. Like "increase first layer flow" instead of reduce the distance between the bed and nozzle. Or "increase flow" instead of fixing a slipping extruder or printing at the correct temp. Not saying that we should never mask symptoms but if we don't know what we are doing, this could lead to more issues. Trying to troubleshoot a print where the poster has dabbled with different flow settings would also become more difficult.
    My suggestion is to add a carefully worded tool-tip to these settings, that tells the user to use them with caution or to check the hardware for issues first.

Anyway, thanks for an excellent software!

• Thanks 1

what about upgrade from 4.0 ? i'm still on 4.0  because upgrade to 4.1 will delete all configs

@marcottt, the update from 4.0 to 4.1 (or 4.2 in the future) shouldn't delete your config files. Maybe if you send us your 4.0's files, we can try to take a look and see what the problem is. It will help us to catch possible errors. 

For those that prefer the sidebar gui, please test this version of the plugin:
    http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/SidebarGUIPlugin-v6.1.0-2019-07-18T12_34_52Z.curapackage

Download the file and drop it onto a running Cura 4.2 application window. Then restart Cura and it should have the sidebar gui.

2 hours ago, DiegoPG said:

@marcottt, the update from 4.0 to 4.1 (or 4.2 in the future) shouldn't delete your config files. Maybe if you send us your 4.0's files, we can try to take a look and see what the problem is. It will help us to catch possible errors. 

ok, how i can send the config files (i do not have it.. i made with wizard and test...) . there is a process or a directory to check ?

where i can send it ?

thanks

The manual support plugin works again! Fantastic!

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 4.2 beta available

Octoprint plugin 3.5.6 don't work.

Solved: I manual install  with latest version on GitHub it work!

Edited by meo_udon

4 hours ago, meo_udon said:

Octoprint plugin 3.5.6 don't work.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that here. Thanks for letting me know the version on github works for you.

Others, please help me test the updated version of the plugin:

http://files.fieldofview.com/cura/OctoPrintPlugin-v6.0.0-2019-07-18T12_32_22Z.curapackage

Download the file and drop it onto a running Cura 4.2 application window. Then restart Cura and the OctoPrint Connection plugin should be working again.

• Like 1

Yesterday I tried Cura 4.2.beta...

Some strange things happend:

In my Printerprofile (Ender 3 (pro)) the dimension of the printing plate changed from 235x235 to 220x220...and in my costum printing profiles the layer hight changes from 0,2 to 0,32?
    In the standard profiles Layer high changed also, but to the "magic numbers" wich might be intended...
    Also Layer with (0,4 noosle) change from 0,4 to 0,44....
    Maybe this changes are intendet or the calculation for the with changed? can't find anything in changlog so far?!

@Astrofreak85 We did pull in something that was previously available as a mod by one of our community members (the 'Creawesome' mod) that could have changed the Ender definitions, but I'm not sure those are the intended changes.

On 7/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, marcottt said:

what about upgrade from 4.0 ? i'm still on 4.0  because upgrade to 4.1 will delete all configs

Are you concerned about losing the configurations you see on the right for printing?

If so you can go to "Manage Profiles" by pressing "Ctrl+j". 

In this menu, select the settings you want to keep and then select "export" in the TOP MIDDLE of the screen.

No I lost All configs... Printer 

On 7/23/2019 at 9:55 AM, Astrofreak85 said:

Yesterday I tried Cura 4.2.beta...

Some strange things happend:

In my Printerprofile (Ender 3 (pro)) the dimension of the printing plate changed from 235x235 to 220x220...and in my costum printing profiles the layer hight changes from 0,2 to 0,32?
    In the standard profiles Layer high changed also, but to the "magic numbers" wich might be intended...
    Also Layer with (0,4 noosle) change from 0,4 to 0,44....
    Maybe this changes are intendet or the calculation for the with changed? can't find anything in changlog so far?!

Hi @Astrofreak85, The build plate size is indeed 220x220 by default in 4.2. You can find that information on the Creality website as well. So I think 220x220 is the correct value.

About the layer height changes, could you upload your custom profiles so we can have a look? Thanks!

Edited by DidierKlein
    remove link
    • Like 1

Ok, thats rigth in the FW shiped with the Boards <1.1.4 ist was set to 220x220x250, with the new board 1.1.4 FW is set to 235x235 wich is realy the maximum size oft the plate.
    So 220 is right, when you don't change anything...
    If you change your FW 230x230 is quite well printable, never tried to print something 235x235...I don't think this will work well...

somehow my profiles where based on the standard profile with now has 0,32 layer high, so it changed as well, now I changed this back to 0,2 and it is OK for me, the layer with of 0,44 vs. 0,4 seems to be ok for now I don't see a benefit here but it doesn't seem to be wrong either.

The new pre-defined creality profiles are just horrible... old ones were actually better and it was better to restore a wrongly configured parameter to default.

Also now because of this you can't import profiles made by creality machines in 4.2 into other machines. I configured my cr10s and wanted to export that profile and import into a custom profile for dual extrusion cr10s but that can't imported because "machines are different".

Edited by redslifer

Is there a change log for the new version?

On 7/26/2019 at 11:13 PM, redslifer said:

The new pre-defined creality profiles are just horrible... old ones were actually better and it was better to restore a wrongly configured parameter to default.

Also now because of this you can't import profiles made by creality machines in 4.2 into other machines. I configured my cr10s and wanted to export that profile and import into a custom profile for dual extrusion cr10s but that can't imported because "machines are different".

No. The failed importing was because of a bug. Which is why we do betas 😉 It should be fixed for the 4.2 release.

As for the profiles being worse, I wouldn't know. We got the pull request and a lot of people agreed that they were better (and no-one disagreed). We simply can't test any other printers than our own (and even if we could, it would be insanely expensive for us to do so).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nallath said:

No. The failed importing was because of a bug. Which is why we do betas 😉 It should be fixed for the 4.2 release.

As for the profiles being worse, I wouldn't know. We got the pull request and a lot of people agreed that they were better (and no-one disagreed). We simply can't test any other printers than our own (and even if we could, it would be insanely expensive for us to do so).

Yes I see the bug is solved. That's good.

For the profile, just like there are people that like the "creawsome" mod (only people who never modded stock cura's profile because they were lazy imo), there are people that dislike it because of unexpected results. There are options which just don't make sense, and options far away from creality machines. I'd just say, for people that like to tweak profile for his own machine, using the "creawsome" starting point profile isn't that good.

The first thing I dislike when tuning a profile is  having a multiplier on the line width, I never had good results with a line width bigger than nozzle size, and even if I wanted, I'd want to have as a reference the nozzle width which I could tune by myself, not a stock random multiplier which would just confuse a new user new to the 3d printer world.

Also, with this new profile, nozzle temperature isn't inherited by the material.

It's time!

Hi guys I've been out of the loop since cura 3.8. I tried 4.2 today and  I'm not getting an option to save as gcode. I can change the filename but my printer and/or octoprint won't print from it. I'm not getting an option to save as gcode, so maybe I'm just re-naming the 3mf file and not conveting it to gcode. Can someone point me in the right direction to catch up on 3mf and how to convert to gcode?

I've been searching for about an hour and all I'm finding is redundant stuff that's not relevant. Do I have to upgrade octoprint or my firmware to print from 3mf.

I'm using an old tevo tornado BTW