Cura running super slow on a really good computer

Nerfstrike

Posted · Cura running super slow on a really good computer

I have had my laptop for a few months now. It is a gaming laptop that has an intel i7-8750H processor with 16G of RAM and a GTX 1060. It runs Fusion360 like a champ, and can game tremendously well, but for some reason, Cura runs super slow. Anytime I try to adjust the settings for a print, every drop down men I open takes several seconds to open, and when I orbit around the object I am trying to slice, everything is always very laggy. It didn't do this when I first downloaded Cura, but for some reason it is doing this now. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I experience the same when opening a drop down menu in the advanced print settings. The settings appear slowly one after another. Tried it on a few different machines (Workstations and laptops) and there is no difference. So maybe it's a general software bug.

It's not a general software bug, since that would never have cleared QA on our side. For me it takes less than 2 seconds for all settings to load on boot and drop down menus open in 100 ms or something like that. 

Actually now its back to working correctly. Its lightning fast. The only thing I have changed is my wifi connection. I changed to a network that works better. Could this have been the cause?

Hm, maybe my maschines are just crappy. I will take a look at the network settings also.

I think I figured it out. I was looking at some forums about internet slowing down cura, and apparently cura tries to connect to web printer servers like octoprint. I am on a large wireless network because I am a college student using dorm wifi, so Cura was trying to find all the wireless printers on the large server (there is none), thus slowing it down. I just went to the plugins and deleted the one that has to do with wireless printers. C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.2\plugins and delete the one called UM3NetworkPrinting. That instantly fixed the problem, and I dont use wireless printers. If I ever do, I'll just reinstall cura or something to get all the proper network plugins back.

• Like 4

It's not trying to connect to all of them, but it is listening to broadcasting messages (It's a fairly important difference. The first is actively contacting every single IP to check if it's a printer, the second is waiting for someone to shout "IM A PRINTER").

Alternatively, you can also just disable the plugin in the marketplace. You can do this in the installed tab.

I turned this plugin off too and it really makes a difference, much better now. 
    I am also on a large network (company).

On 9/2/2019 at 9:00 AM, nallath said:

It's not a general software bug, since that would never have cleared QA on our side. For me it takes less than 2 seconds for all settings to load on boot and drop down menus open in 100 ms or something like that. 

Well, then you need a better QA process 🤷‍♂️ I've now tried Cura 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4. All clean first installs 

None are even remotely usable on a Ryzen 2700x with 32GB with Ram. 

None were even showing up anything, even though appearing on task manager. Out of interest I didn't "kill" 4.3 after 5 minutes.

The splash screen appeared after.... 20 minutes. After that the GUI appeared in just 15 or something 😅

Then I found this thread and deleted the plugin above also, no change (I'm home by the way) 

So, there is clearly something going on here.

After many hours of trying and cleaning the registry etc - still nothing. Deleted filters, added to the firewall, compatibility, run as admin, .... 

I have tried on another PC and it works 100% - same windows version. Something is definitely up. 

(log attached - stderr and stdout are 0Kb)

I've also tried 3.3 - worked 100%.

Annotation 2019-11-26 221523.jpg

Annotation 2019-11-26 222553.jpg

cura.log

17 hours ago, Kenobinai said:

Well, then you need a better QA process 🤷‍♂️ I've now tried Cura 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4. All clean first installs 

None are even remotely usable on a Ryzen 2700x with 32GB with Ram. 

Well, there is your problem. Ryzen has had a slew of bad driver updates. Depending on the behavior of the program, it breaks or slows down dramatically. Apart from re-writing the behavior of the entire program, there is little we can do about it, since it's Ryzen that is at fault here.

Something wrong with Cura since version 4.

I don't trust any app that steals ALL my bandwith:

Check Google speedtest without running Cura and also when running Cura.
    Can not use my home internet connection for as long as Cura is running. Painful!!

Had to close Cura to get to this forum 

NoCura.JPG

Cura.JPG

Does the same bandwidth hogging happen if you go to the Installed tab of the Marketplace, unselect the Ultimaker Network Connection and restart Cura?

On 11/27/2019 at 4:34 AM, nallath said:

Well, there is your problem. Ryzen has had a slew of bad driver updates. Depending on the behavior of the program, it breaks or slows down dramatically. Apart from re-writing the behavior of the entire program, there is little we can do about it, since it's Ryzen that is at fault here.

That is factually incorrect and it makes me worry about the quality of your programmers 😞 Deleting 1 plugin makes your program load approximately 100x faster, and it has nothing to do with Ryzen. If it did, there would be literally hundreds of developers with the same problems, but they aren't any. Cura runs insanely slow compared to every other slicer program out there. Your UI feels like it's being displayed through molasses, on a 2000$ computer, which is insane. And I can bet cash money your response will be, oh it runs fine for us, it must be a problem on your end. And yet every other program has 0 issues. But yeah keep blaming the processor.

Similar problem here. Recently started playing around with Cura 4.3 and updated today to 4.4. GUI of both version is terribly slow. Switching between extruder 1 and 2 tab e.g. about 10s and drop down menues also take several seconds to open. Can not tell if it has been like this from the beginning, though. Turned off UM3 Network Printing plugin but doesn't improve. 

Also had to change to Windows 8 compatibility mode to be able to start Cura.

my config:

Windows 10 Pro on a Lenovo V330

Intel i5-8250, 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD

Intel UHD Graphics 620

The zeroconf issue with the networking plugin has been improved a lot as we merged our fixes with the upstream library. The changing of tabs should also be a bit faster for 4.5

13 hours ago, AgentPothead said:

That is factually incorrect and it makes me worry about the quality of your programmers 😞 Deleting 1 plugin makes your program load approximately 100x faster, and it has nothing to do with Ryzen. If it did, there would be literally hundreds of developers with the same problems, but they aren't any. Cura runs insanely slow compared to every other slicer program out there. Your UI feels like it's being displayed through molasses, on a 2000$ computer, which is insane. And I can bet cash money your response will be, oh it runs fine for us, it must be a problem on your end. And yet every other program has 0 issues. But yeah keep blaming the processor.

Not all of the issues have to to with the Ryzen, but a fair part of them do. We're also far from the only software that is suffering from the Ryzen issues (so there *are* literally hundreds of developers with the same problem)

19 minutes ago, nallath said:

Not all of the issues have to to with the Ryzen, but a fair part of them do. We're also far from the only software that is suffering from the Ryzen issues (so there *are* literally hundreds of developers with the same problem)

wikipedian_protester.jpg

On 9/2/2019 at 10:00 AM, nallath said:

Wow, that is a bold statement. I use Cura 4 on two different Mac computers. It taks up to 30 seconds just to expand some configuration alternatives in the Print Settings menu. And almost never under 5 seconds. I'm tearing my hair out in frustration. Fortunately I have only on of my printers being a Ultimaker, so for all the other ones I can use Slicer. But for the S5, I have to use Cura and it is a really, really, really slow and bad piece of software. I paid €7000 for that machine, due to Cura I hate using it.

Posted (edited) · Cura running super slow on a really good computer

Any Cura 4.x.x is also very painfully slow on my workstation, but I also have an install of 3.4.1 on the same machine and it runs great. The only way I can get the Cura 4 to boot at all is running Windows 8 compatibility mode so I wonder if this has something to do with it? 

Windows 10 64 bit

i7-6700

16GB RAM
    Intel HD graphics 530

Edited by Travis7s

16 hours ago, MaxQ said:

Wow, that is a bold statement. I use Cura 4 on two different Mac computers. It taks up to 30 seconds just to expand some configuration alternatives in the Print Settings menu. And almost never under 5 seconds. I'm tearing my hair out in frustration. Fortunately I have only on of my printers being a Ultimaker, so for all the other ones I can use Slicer. But for the S5, I have to use Cura and it is a really, really, really slow and bad piece of software. I paid €7000 for that machine, due to Cura I hate using it.

I think it's a definition problem. A general problem is something that occurs during all situations. That was also what my statement was about. If it would be so slow for all computers, our QA department would definitely have found it. Since that didn't happen, it's not a general problem (it's still a problem, but if we can't reproduce it, it's a complete nightmare to actually fix it).

That being said, I have made a bunch of speed improvements the past few days. I can't say if those solve the issues (because I don't have them), but it should make things faster in general.

56 minutes ago, nallath said:

I think it's a definition problem. A general problem is something that occurs during all situations. That was also what my statement was about. 

That being said, I have made a bunch of speed improvements the past few days. I can't say if those solve the issues (because I don't have them), but it should make things faster in general.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if I sounded harsh. I'm just very frustrated, this program I am so dependent on, eating up my workdays.

I think it is a problem on many Macs. Some more info, if it can help you:

- I have one MacBook Pro 2015 (i5, 8GB, Inten Iris, 512GB SSD) and one MacBook Air 2013 (i7, 8GB, Intel gfx, 512GB SSD). Problem is the same on both.

- Both machines works very fast in Fusion 360 on large, complex models

- MacOS 10.14.6

- The GUI is fast when no model is loaded, so it seems to me that the GUI uses 3D rendering resources. The more complex model loaded, the slower the GUI is, down to 30 seconds respons time per click.

Just now, MaxQ said:

- The GUI is fast when no model is loaded, so it seems to me that the GUI uses 3D rendering resources. The more complex model loaded, the slower the GUI is, down to 30 seconds respons time per click.

Then I have some good news for you, as that's exactly the bit I've improved (although it was nowhere near as dramatic as you have it). It used to re-render the entire scene when any GUI element needed an update and now it's a fair bit smarter about what it needs to update. 

You could also try to force the compatibility mode. You can do this by going into preferences and select "force Layer view compatibility mode"