Cura running super slow on a really good computer

Nerfstrike

Posted · Cura running super slow on a really good computer

I use my printer through a wired network connection so disabling the plugin is not very desirable to me.

Cura 4.5.0 does seem to run much faster for me, but still not as good as 3.4.1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm also having weird issues with 4.5 startup speed. It's quite odd, if I load some STL files it will load almost instantly. Try others and it grind away forever and is using a huge amount of RAM (even more than Chrome!!!).  File size doesn't seem to be a factor as larger files will often open much more quickly than smaller files. I have disabled the network plugin mentioned previously to no effect.

Anybody find a solution?

Pete

I think I found my issue; it seems that some of the stl files I was working with had been rendered at extremely fine detail. I re-rendered them at a lower resolution and things improved immensely.

Pete

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I deleted (actually renamed the plug in) and now it loads a bit faster.

So I am thinking to upgrade to a SSD instead of my mechanical hard drive.  That sure help I would think with Cura, Fusion360, and my Train Simulator program.

What do others think?

Thanks

Jay

It won't make any difference most likely.  It could be running slow for many reasons but not because your computer is slow or hard drive.

google around this website (ultimaker.com) for other people who found the problem.  Some things from my memory:

- unplug all USB devices - sometimes a serial device looks similar to a printer and cura keeps asking it if it's a printer and it doesn't respond

- unplug all USB devices - an SD card or flash drive can distract cura as well thinking it might want to save your project on there later

- network drives (similar)

- firewalls - disable all firewall and security features for a few minutes to see if that helps.  I've seen a few posts where this was a miracle cure for cura.

- network devices - sometimes cura is looking on your network for printers.  Try just unplugging your access to any network just to see what happens

I would argue that switching from a mechanical harddrive to an SSD makes a huge difference, especially when starting Cura. Starting Cura could change from a minute to ~15 seconds.

• Like 1

Yes but once started it should be snappy.  As long as you don't load a massive 100 million polygon STL file.

I am using Cura 4.9.1 The statup time was very slow 120> seconds. (The older versions were also slow)

I dont have a Ultimaker printer and i am not "signed in" with cura, so i disable all the plugins i dont need.

My Cura starts in less then 10 seconds now!

Try to disable this plugins, you can enable it anytime again.

Go to "Marketplace" > "Installed"

uncheck:

- Firmware Update Checker

- Firmware Updater

- UM3 Network Printing

- USB Printing    (optional)

- Ultimaker Digital Library 

Posted (edited) · Cura running super slow on a really good computer

Here's an update. 

I've upgraded Cura to 4.11.0

System is still a 2019 Mac Pro with 24 Xeon cores, 2TB SSD system drive, and 176GB of RAM currently running Big Sur v11.5.2

I have to quit and restart Cura every day because it becomes unusable. If I quit and restart it works fine for a few hours, but I WILL have to restart it eventually. 

Last night I restarted, printed this little spinner, then went to bed and let Cura sit. Here's how it's behaving this morning - all I'm trying to do is reposition the place with command-mouse-movement. 

Here's a video link of the issue: 

Edited by GAD

I should note that the CPU behavior is the same after restarting Cura so I guess it's not CPU causing the problem. 

I can't disable networking because that would completely break my workflow. 

14 hours ago, GAD said:

I can't disable networking because that would completely break my workflow. 

Can you please try anyway? We're not suggesting it as a permanent workaround, but as a way to check to see where the slowdown is happening. So please try Cura without networking enabled, then reenable the networking so you can restore your workflow and report back with your experience so we can start to figure out the underlying issue and perhaps come up with a permanent fix.

Posted (edited) · Cura running super slow on a really good computer
    On 11/6/2021 at 3:13 AM, ahoeben said:

Can you please try anyway? We're not suggesting it as a permanent workaround, but as a way to check to see where the slowdown is happening. So please try Cura without networking enabled, then reenable the networking so you can restore your workflow and report back with your experience so we can start to figure out the underlying issue and perhaps come up with a permanent fix.

OK so I turned off the plugins listed above and even just doing that I daresay it was immediately  faster than it's ever been. 

I left it overnight because usually by the next day Cura is unusable, but this afternoon it's just as quick and responsive as it was yesterday. 

These are the plugins I disabled: 

- Firmware Updater

- UM3 Network Printing

Edited by GAD
    • Like 1

14 hours ago, GAD said:

OK so I turned off the plugins listed above and even just doing that I daresay it was immediately  faster than it's ever been. 

I left it overnight because usually by the next day Cura is unusable, but this afternoon it's just as quick and responsive as it was yesterday. 

These are the plugins I disabled: 

- Firmware Updater

- UM3 Network Printing

Could you also check if you only disable the UM3 Network Printing?

I'm having similar long pauses at startup and especially within the Manage Materials

On an Intel i7 with 32gb/SSD/nvidia Quadro P600 and on a new Intel i9 with 32gb/SSD/nvidia RTX 3080.

I mean, I can play any top flight sim with high settings but the world has yet to invent a computer fast enough to run Cura?  🙂

On 11/11/2021 at 3:48 AM, nallath said:

Could you also check if you only disable the UM3 Network Printing?

I have enabled all above listed disabled plugins except for UM3 Network Printing. I'll report back in a day with results. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, jaybeckham said:

I deleted (actually renamed the plug in) and now it loads a bit faster.

So I am thinking to upgrade to a SSD instead of my mechanical hard drive.  That sure help I would think with Cura, Fusion360, and my Train Simulator program.

What do others think?

Thanks

Jay

I have SSD drive 48 core and Cura is slow slow slow on S5

11 hours ago, GAD said:

I have enabled all above listed disabled plugins except for UM3 Network Printing. I'll report back in a day with results. 

11 hours later and Cura is locked up hard. Can't do anything and have to kill it and restart. 

Another question - slicing seems to be single threaded. On complex objects slicing takes forever but CPU never goes above 100% meaning it's only using one core. 

Why? 

On 11/13/2021 at 5:51 AM, GAD said:

Another question - slicing seems to be single threaded. On complex objects slicing takes forever but CPU never goes above 100% meaning it's only using one core. 

Why? 

If you're slicing on a Mac, it's single threaded. Other operating systems have certain parts that are done on parallel.

On 11/15/2021 at 8:41 AM, nallath said:

If you're slicing on a Mac, it's single threaded. Other operating systems have certain parts that are done on parallel.

Right - but why? 

On 11/13/2021 at 5:46 AM, GAD said:

11 hours later and Cura is locked up hard. Can't do anything and have to kill it and restart. 

Ok, so that rules out the UM3 Network Printing plugin. Could you try the same thing with just disabling the USB Printing plugin?

13 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Ok, so that rules out the UM3 Network Printing plugin. Could you try the same thing with just disabling the USB Printing plugin?

The USB Printing plugin is now disabled

On 11/19/2021 at 12:44 AM, GAD said:

Right - but why? 

Because we couldn't get it to work, since the compiler for OSx was (is?) lagging behind in what it supports.

We are working on fixing that, as we found another way to support it.

12 hours ago, nallath said:

Because we couldn't get it to work, since the compiler for OSx was (is?) lagging behind in what it supports.

We are working on fixing that, as we found another way to support it.

Cool - thanks!

On 11/19/2021 at 7:30 AM, ahoeben said:

On 11/19/2021 at 9:07 PM, GAD said:

The USB Printing plugin is now disabled

This afternoon (I was out all day) Cura is slow and unusable. I'm going to re-test having the Networking plugin disabled because when I tested that Cura had locked up entirely and it's never done that before, so I'm not convinced it was the same problem. 

• Like 2