Can't select the rotation hoops

0ldman

Posted · Can't select the rotation hoops

Hi all. 

Hopefully this is just a noob question as I've only just joined the 3D printing community. I'm running Cura 4.3 on Ubuntu 19.10. Everything seems generally good with one significant exception: I can't rotate models. 

When I go into rotation mode the hoops appear but when I try to select them (left mouse button) they disappear and the model is unselected. 

Is there something wrong with what I am doing or is there another method for rotating models in Cura? 

Thanks in advance 

Dean 

Sometimes all of the selection handles are a little finicky. 

what I found works for me ( whether using the rotations, linear moves, or sizing) is to move the mouse until you see the hoop (line, whatever) glow a brighter color. Then click and drag.

I have the same 'problem' but only if i try to select the hoops or linear axes at a point where it is close to the settings on the right side of cura.

with close I mean with in 4 cm from the settings box

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

@NickB what version of Cura do you use? A change was made to Cura 4.3 that fixed that issue for most people.

Cura 4.2.1

I always wait a while before updating cura so there are no big bugs left in Cura

mabye I will update soon to 4.3 or newer. Thanks for the response👍

@0ldman does this happen with all three hoops? Could you confirm that hovering over the hoops changes their color (ever so slightly)?

Hi all,

thanks for your replies. I've just tried this again. Still no luck.

• I can't see any change in colour when I mouse over the hoops (I've tried moving across and around them, hovering over them - nothing helps),
    • It occurs with the hoop for each axis,
    • I'm on Cura 4.3.0 so it shouldn't, I guess, be the same issue as reported by @NickB

I should also say that when I started with Cura a few weeks ago it was Cura 4.2.1 on Ubuntu 18.04 - I had the same problem then. I have since switched up to Cura 4.3.0 by grabbing a newer .AppImage (same problem) and then upgraded to Ubuntu 19.10.

Cheers,

Dean

Hi @ahoeben

I'm not sure if you saw my reply to your questions yesterday - I just noticed that I didn't "@" you in the reply.

If you have any ideas that might help I would be grateful - even if it is only a different method for rotating 🙂

Cheers,

Dean

Not at the moment.

Do the other tools (translate, scale) work correctly with their respective axis widgets?

Hi @ahoeben

I confess I'd never tried them before! I had always used the numeric boxes or just auto-arranged. 

I've just tried and none of the widgets work. Same symptom : the model just gets deselected. 

Cheers 

Dean

I'm sorry, I have no further suggestions.

Well thanks anyway. I appreciate you taking an interest. 

Cheers 

Dean 

Hi Dean,

I just wanted to ask you if you could solve your issues in the past?
    I installed Ubuntu 20.04 and different version of Cura on an old Laptop to directly control my 3D printer.

But in none of theses versions I could rotate my model.

Cheers,

Peter

You are the second linux person to complain this week about not being able to use the rotation tool.  Does the tool show up at all?  For the other person there is no rotation tool - just the others (scale, move, etc).

That person said it was fine with 4.71 but not with 4.8.

1) Do you get the tool button at all?

2) If not try cura 4.71

I also use Ubuntu but I haven't switched to 4.8 yet.

Same issue.  Cura 4.8.0.  

Posted (edited) · Can't select the rotation hoops

Sofar, no Cura developer has been able to reproduce this. Reproducing is the first step to finding a solution.

In order to try to reproduce, please add more information; just saying "Same issue" does not give us much to go on. What OS do you use? What GPU, what drivers? Did it work with any earlier version of Cura (and if so, what version)?

Do the other tools (translate, scale) work correctly with their respective axis widgets, or is it just the rotation hoops? Does clicking on the rotation arrows work to rotate the model 90 degrees?

Edited by ahoeben

I just started using Cura (4.8.0) yesterday and am having the same issue.  If I'm doing something wrong, I'm unaware of what it might be.  To provide the information requested: I'm using macOS Big Sur (11.1) with the standard macOS video drivers on a 27" iMac with the Radeon Pro 580 GPU.  I've never used a prior version of Cura.  I cannot seem to get any of the interactive translation tools to work.  To help identify the problem (or what I'm doing wrong), I've attached a little video of what's happening.

CuraToolProblem.zip

Edited by wesjanik
    Clarified it's a 27" iMac not a (non-existent) 17" iMac

I have the same problem under Mac OS Big Sur 11.0.1 - iMac 27inch i5 (Cura 4.8.0)

I have same issue on MacBook Pro BigSur.

FYI ... Just downloaded "Ultimaker Cura engine improvements with Arachne alpha" and ROTATE works as expected!  So hopefully 4.8 can be fixed!!

Okay, I swear I didn't change anything and it's suddenly working for me.  I've restarted Cura a couple times, but I'm not aware of any updates that got applied to either Cura or macOS.

MacBook Pro Big Sur 11.1

Cura 4.8.0

Same problem. 

I did a little experimentation and figured out why it suddenly started working for me.  The answer is: it didn't.  The selection and use of the hoops works just fine when I first open the app up.  However, once I click on the Monitor tab and then back to the Prepare tab, that's when it stops working.  As I workaround (at least for me) you only need to close and re-open the app making sure not to click on Monitor tab until you no longer need to interact with the translation tools.

• Like 1

I just started using Cura and I am having the same exact issue. I am on Big Sur using Cura 4.8. I right click and select the model, then as soon as I try to click on top or anywhere near the rotation circles, they go away.

On 1/9/2021 at 11:54 PM, wesjanik said:

I did a little experimentation and figured out why it suddenly started working for me.  The answer is: it didn't.  The selection and use of the hoops works just fine when I first open the app up.  However, once I click on the Monitor tab and then back to the Prepare tab, that's when it stops working.  As I workaround (at least for me) you only need to close and re-open the app making sure not to click on Monitor tab until you no longer need to interact with the translation tools.

Same here.  Closing down and reopening Cura was the only way to recover the object rotate function. 

On 

MacBook Pro Big Sur 11.1

Cura 4.8.0

Just so it helps prioritizing a fix: I am experiencing the exact same behavior MacBook Pro Big Sur 11.1 and Cura 4.8.0 as well. Other than that, the tool works great though.

Edited by scarbonn