Ultimaker Cura 4.4 (including Intent profiles)

Guest maht

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 4.4 (including Intent profiles)
On 11/19/2019 at 7:04 PM, gr5 said:

7*4*4*20 = 2240!

Can you imagine testing 2240 profiles? 

It sure is alot of work but in my opinion :

1) Printers that are still sold should, in my opinion, benefit of all upgrades possible (both printer's and Cura's side) . Unfortunatly it is not so... That is Ultimaker's strategic choice and I accept it.

2) UM 3, UM S5, UM S3 are pretty similar no? Would'nt it be possible to "easily" adapt a profile from one of thes printer to the oders? (For UMO (+) and UM 2 (+) I understand it would be a lot more work)

But someone has to test all these profiles.  I checked the other day and in fact there are only about 225 profiles.  But still a lot!  and each time you create a new profile for a new printer someone has to test it at ultimaker.  And probably (hopefully) they retest it on every upgrade as well.

As for the UMO and UM2 - those printers profiles I believe already use very accurate profiles that also make nice looking prints.  They don't need new profiles (I don't think they do).  It was the UM3/S3/S5 printers where UM seems to have shifted to nicer looking prints instead of keeping it as accurate prints.  Now they have profiles for both "intents".  So it would indeed make sense for the UM3 to get these extra profiles.  Maybe in the final release, the UM3 will be included.

3 hours ago, gr5 said:

Maybe in the final release, the UM3 will be included.

The final release of Cura 4.4 is already out..,

As a rule, no new features are added between the beta and the final release; only bugfixes (and translations) are allowed. A new set of profiles is a new feature.

Although it is a pity that the UM3 was not noticed, there is no magic behind the profiles. There are only a few settings like speed or line width that are adjusted. So you can create your own profile like you did before Cura 4.4.

This new Intent function is only a visual change of how the user selects the profiles. In the background there are still single profiles. With this I mean that if someone has already created a profile that fits his needs, then there is no great advantage from new Intent profiles.

All those who have printed with the default profiles and have problems with the dimensional accuracy would of course benefit from it.

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Although it is a pity that the UM3 was not noticed, there is no magic behind the profiles. There are only a few settings like speed or line width that are adjusted. So you can create your own profile like you did before Cura 4.4.

This new Intent function is only a visual change of how the user selects the profiles. In the background there are still single profiles. With this I mean that if someone has already created a profile that fits his needs, then there is no great advantage from new Intent profiles.

All those who have printed with the default profiles and have problems with the dimensional accuracy would of course benefit from it.

I am one of the people you mention that has issues with dimensional accuracy from time to time. I own a CNC machine shop so printing is a useful addition to my business. 

I bought an S5 after trying a cheap Chinese printer because  I simply don't have the time or inclination to tweak and test constantly. By and large it does what I wanted, I can go from design to print in no time at all and the S5 is reliable and does an excellent job until dimensional accuracy becomes important.

The intent profiles would be excellent for me except I don't use any of the materials they have intent profiles for. I use mainly CPE, Nylon and Nylon/carbon. I am not alone with this as I have seen a few other posts regarding accuracy which brings me to an idea.

What about a forum for people to share and request profiles. This could be divided into sub forums for different model printers much like people share files on thingyverse? 

• Like 1

Here is a summary of the difference between the normal profiles and the accurate ones.  You can set these settings in your favorite profile and either create a new profile (not recommended) or always do "file" "save" and later if you want to repeat these settings on a new part, start off by loading the saved project (I have had much better luck with "file" "save" than with saving profiles).

These settings are material agnostic meaning they should work with all materials but only the 0.4 core.

Line width: 0.4
    Wall thickness: 1.2
    Top/Bottom thickness: 1.2
    Speeds: 35-40 (all speeds, except travel)
    Jerks: 20
    Horizontal expansion: -0.03
    walls: 3
    Inital Layer Height = 0.1
    Slicing Tolerance = Exclusive
    Combing Mode = off
    Outer before Inner Walls = Checked

3 hours ago, Ishy said:

I am one of the people you mention that has issues with dimensional accuracy from time to time. I own a CNC machine shop so printing is a useful addition to my business. 

I bought an S5 after trying a cheap Chinese printer because  I simply don't have the time or inclination to tweak and test constantly. By and large it does what I wanted, I can go from design to print in no time at all and the S5 is reliable and does an excellent job until dimensional accuracy becomes important.

The intent profiles would be excellent for me except I don't use any of the materials they have intent profiles for. I use mainly CPE, Nylon and Nylon/carbon. I am not alone with this as I have seen a few other posts regarding accuracy which brings me to an idea.

What about a forum for people to share and request profiles. This could be divided into sub forums for different model printers much like people share files on thingyverse? 

I'm with you, I use CPE all the time, it is great stuff.  Im just surprised that I buy Ultimaker CPE and the dimensional accuracy of prints is off over .010 in.  sometimes more, and this is their filament.  I did do a test print with abs with engineering mode and it was much better, but I have a hard time with abs warping with the prints I do, until my air manager shows up...

A separate forum for this exact issue would be great.

(as a note, I do find that CPE prints better accuracy at .15 layer height with all speeds set to 30)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Elfonerio said:

with all speeds set to 30

Thats the magic or the key in all the accuracy profiles, equalize all the speeds to a lower value.

3 hours ago, gr5 said:

Here is a summary of the difference between the normal profiles and the accurate ones.  You can set these settings in your favorite profile and either create a new profile (not recommended) or always do "file" "save" and later if you want to repeat these settings on a new part, start off by loading the saved project (I have had much better luck with "file" "save" than with saving profiles).

These settings are material agnostic meaning they should work with all materials but only the 0.4 core.

Line width: 0.4
    Wall thickness: 1.2
    Top/Bottom thickness: 1.2
    Speeds: 35-40 (all speeds, except travel)
    Jerks: 20
    Horizontal expansion: -0.03
    walls: 3
    Inital Layer Height = 0.1
    Slicing Tolerance = Exclusive
    Combing Mode = off
    Outer before Inner Walls = Checked

Thank's for that, are these settings for any layer height?

On 11/22/2019 at 10:57 PM, gr5 said:

But someone has to test all these profiles.  I checked the other day and in fact there are only about 225 profiles.  But still a lot!  and each time you create a new profile for a new printer someone has to test it at ultimaker.  And probably (hopefully) they retest it on every upgrade as well.

As for the UMO and UM2 - those printers profiles I believe already use very accurate profiles that also make nice looking prints.  They don't need new profiles (I don't think they do).  It was the UM3/S3/S5 printers where UM seems to have shifted to nicer looking prints instead of keeping it as accurate prints.  Now they have profiles for both "intents".  So it would indeed make sense for the UM3 to get these extra profiles.  Maybe in the final release, the UM3 will be included.

I get those difficulties. They are legitimate and understandable. And it does seem like they are small profile changes.

I think what I'm worried about is that it seems to communicate that the UM3 (much less the UM2 and past) printers are somewhat being deprecated in the development. The focus is on the S line. When resources are constrained, those printers are going to get the focus from now on.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:01 PM, Ishy said:

Thank's for that, are these settings for any layer height?

I believe so, yes.  I use them mostly with 0.2mm to 0.3mm layers (for speed).  I find if you go thinner than around 0.06mm the visual quality starts to get worse again.

The "Z magic number" for all UM printers is 0.04mm which means you get more integral number of Z steps if you print with 0.16 layer height than 0.15 so I recommend 0.16 over 0.15 layer height but it really doesn't seem to matter much and I always forget and have often used 0.15.  But more likely 0.2 or 0.3 (0.32 would be smarter).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

I believe so, yes.  I use them mostly with 0.2mm to 0.3mm layers (for speed).  I find if you go thinner than around 0.06mm the visual quality starts to get worse again.

The "Z magic number" for all UM printers is 0.04mm which means you get more integral number of Z steps if you print with 0.16 layer height than 0.15 so I recommend 0.16 over 0.15 layer height but it really doesn't seem to matter much and I always forget and have often used 0.15.  But more likely 0.2 or 0.3 (0.32 would be smarter).

Does focus magic number really make any difference when you cannot guarantee the first layer is on a full step. What happens if the auto bed level for example starts on a half step and then using 0.04 would just result in going to the next half step? (Or have I miss understood)

strange because the new  visual extra fine intent profile for S3 is set with 0.06 LH and not 0.08 ?

by the way, I get far better result with a 0.08 LH with my 0.20 nozzel on my MK3s

As I said in am not sure this magic layer works in theory, as you can't guarantee what step count the print starts at. You could start the print on the half step and then it makes no odds if you use these 'magic'numbers at all, in fact in that case you would be better not to use them......

I am guessing this is why UM don't use the 'magic' numbers and people don't see any improvement from using them ?

I bought a UM3 only 3 months ago I really hope they don't stop supporting the UM3

UM still supports the UM2 so I think you are safe for a few years.  Just don't expect new feature upgrades (although it could happen).  Also there are 3rd party sellers of many UM3 parts.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:58 AM, nhopfen said:

Anything new for people that don't own a supported machine? Experimental? anything?

There is a web app called 3doptimizer. It does not offer any existing profiles, but it helps creating new ones fairly quickly.