Not Manifold

Jpmreno

Posted · Not Manifold

I have a file that i'm using on two other machines and it's printing fine. When I print on number 3 printer i'm getting a message. Your Model is not manifold. The highlighted areas indicate either missing or extraneous surface. What do i do? I cant find anything on this subject. Could it be something with the software that i dont have set right? Thanks

faceshield_inch_units.gcode

• Like 1

Posted · Not Manifold

To be reliably printable, models have to be watertight (aka manifold) which means that the edges of the polygons must join up to leave no gaps (for the water to get in/out). If a model is not manifold, it may possibly still be printable depending on the extent of the non-manifold regions and also exactly how the slicer processes the model. So it may be printable using slicer X but not with slicer Y.

Posted · Not Manifold

Yes, Cura 4.6 opens the file and gives the "Your Model is not manifold" error, but the print seems to come out fine.

Probably because the error is in some place not visible or because it is a very small problem.

In the course of researching this issue, I came across a free online service (Jomatik) that corrects these Holes and other issues with 3D files making them ready for 3D Printing.

Check the following link.

Just drag and drop your file there and it instantly repairs it. Well.... atleast it did mine. 🙂

The file now loads up in Cura without any errors.

https://3d-print.jomatik.de/en/index.php

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Not Manifold

I am with you on this one @Jpmreno   Just happened to me with 4.6.1 .  @burtoogle 's comment above may be true for some cases previous to this posting that are similar to this, but either not enough research was done before answering or there was none at all. 

My model was sliced without issue. When I multiplied the model to having 5 on the build plate, this "manifold" message came up. Also, I have printed this file many times in the past with the previous cura versions and never had this issue.

Looks like a 4.6.2 needs to be created.

Edit - Also, when looking for the "highlighted areas" there were none to be found after a quick examination.

Edited by ronanweb

Posted · Not Manifold

The fact that the warning pops up during the print is because there is a specific time set after which Cura allows itself to warn you again, due to the way the model error is detected. It has nothing to do with the fact that Cura is printing the model.

Posted · Not Manifold

The manifoldness is determined long before walls and infill are created so the settings for walls and infill make no difference to whether a model is manifold or not. I guess it could be possible that some wall/infill settings could make a non-manifold model print acceptably.

Posted · Not Manifold

My guess as to why a single model could possibly be considered manifold but replicated models fail that test is due to rounding errors introduced during the model position/orientation transformations. @fieldOfView, do you think that is possible?

Posted · Not Manifold

The non-manifold detection looks if any pixels are drawn with that packing paper pattern. This depends on camera-angle, so it also depends on object placement, especially for small defects. The MeshTools plugin checks the actual geometry instead (ie if all edges of all faces of the model are connected to other faces of the model), and is therefore more accurate.

PS: @fieldofview is not active on the community forum, but I am.

• Like 1

Posted · Not Manifold

I am running 4.5 on one pc and 4.6 on the other.  I’ve found that 4.6 indicates a “non manifold” condition but 4.5 does not on the exact same stl.  I am able to slice and print that stl from either ver of Cura.  It looks like there is a glitch in 4.6.

Posted · Not Manifold

Could you please attach the stl file so it can be checked with another program? Thanks.

Posted · Not Manifold
    21 hours ago, burtoogle said:

Could you please attach the stl file so it can be checked with another program? Thanks.

Here are two from Thingiverse.  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1697916

Confirm they sliced with no errors in Cura 4.4.x

- Bill

Standard_Short_375_6pt.stl Metric_Short_375_6pt.stl

Posted · Not Manifold

Screenshot_2020-06-02_10-24-54.thumb.png.0877e2ba391af05fc1cb3b316f339f49.png

Screenshot_2020-06-02_10-24-31.thumb.png.264aa31411b0f29a7662d47d3128b9b4.png

Neither are manifold and so cannot be expected to print without problems.

Posted · Not Manifold

In case you don't trust Cura's analysis, here's what freecad thinks...

Screenshot_2020-06-02_10-28-14.thumb.png.7aa3e5565e38d41ea8b8f811cf7b2ded.png

Screenshot_2020-06-02_10-27-40.thumb.png.c187a0f835bb80d40cf1cd38fd903645.png

Posted · Not Manifold

Thanks very much.  Unfortunately it's not my design and I'm not the OP on this thread -- pulled this off Thingiverse to print and came across this thread while researching the error message.  I will post these comments back to the original maker.  They did not post anything but the .stl  

Since this design has been posted since 2016, I'm not holding my breath for the original designer to fix these.  Is there any way in Cura (or anything else - F360, OpenSCAD, etc.) to fix this without having to start from scratch?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

- Bill

Posted · Not Manifold

Well burtoogle above is showing you a screen shot from freecad.  And I see a "repair" button so you could try that.  Also there's a post above by ashton who has a link to a very very simple to use repair service.  Also netfabb has a free repair service online (but you have to create an acocunt).

Posted · Not Manifold
    On 6/1/2020 at 1:19 AM, burtoogle said:

ShuttleBoosters.stl 

The file printed fine.  After printing I could see where there was a hole in the bottom of one of the parts that may have been the reason for the non manifold warning.  I don’t see it as a problem.

3 hours ago, gr5 said:

Well burtoogle above is showing you a screen shot from freecad.  And I see a "repair" button so you could try that.  Also there's a post above by ashton who has a link to a very very simple to use repair service.  Also netfabb has a free repair service online (but you have to create an acocunt).

Thanks.  I'll give freecad a shot.  Tried the link that @ashton posted but the repaired version still throws errors.   Was trying to fix in F360 and not getting very far -- but that is probably due to my lack of skills -- "I am only an egg."

Halfway through a print so will see how it comes out.   [Edit: Print came out fine, no apparent holes, voids or other issues]

[Edit: Pulled it into FreeCad, and did all the evaluate and fix steps.  FreeCad showed everything was good, but the 'repaired' file still shows as non-manifold in Cura and now has a completely new obvious missing mesh piece that wasn't present in the original version.  See the pic:]

new_error.png

Edited by billh_nm
    Updated info

Attached you can see all the vertices that are non-manifold (in orange). It's too much for a quick manual fix for me at the moment but anyone familiar with blender can get it done in 10-30 minutes.

Zwischenablage20.jpg

Edited by ungutknut

Posted · Not Manifold

Thank you.  I don't need any assistance with the model.  I printed it without any problem.  I just thought it was interesting that I never got any warnings about non-manifold with 4.5 but now 4.6 is pointing it out.  Both ver of Cura printed the model without any problems.  Thanks again, Craig.

Posted · Not Manifold

I am seeing this issue on a design that I downloaded. It will slice in 4.6.1 without any message. Rotate 90 degrees, lay flat,  and the manifold message occurs. Having a hard time saying the problem is inherent in the original design.

aztec_v1.stl

Posted · Not Manifold

I'm 99% sure the problem is in the STL.  There are so many crap STLs out there.  Especially ones created with sketchup.  A good cad software will not even have a way to create non-manifold designs yet with sketchup it takes extra work to remember to seal in your parts and you have to tell sketchup which is the inside and which side of each face is facing the air.

Anyway, I think in older versions of Cura you had to install the mesh plugin to get that message.  Now I guess the manifold check is built in?  It's probably that.

Try viewing the model in xray view to potentially see the problem in red.