Ultimaker S5 - Crash after printing?

Vasile

Posted · Ultimaker S5 - Crash after printing?

Hi Ultimaker Community!

2 days ago I got my Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle. A great printer but I already have my first problem.

The job was done and suddenly the printer crashed against the printed part.

The crash was so hard that even the glass plate was moved (see picture).

I don't understand why the printed part stays so close to the printing nozzle after the job is done.

Do you have some idea what went wrong here?

I don't expect this kind of failure for such an expensive printer.....

I'm a bit disappointed.

Thanks

Vasile

Ultimaker Crask.jpg

It happened to me a few times. I had some print that curled up while printing/cooling (it was ABS if I remeber correctly). Every  time the printer printed a new layer it had to psh against the printed parts untile the glass moved from side to side. What I did was to improve bed adhesion so the printed parts do not curled up anymore and I slightly make the metal clip holding the print glass so they grip the glass more firmly. Since then no more of this issue.

• Like 1

I was using PLA in this case. The adhesion to the glass was very good that's why it pushed the glass away. Maybe on the picture it looks like when the part was pushed away but it was not the case. The printed part wasn't positioned in the middle. The glass is sitting also very tight in my opinion. The position of the part was too high when the nozzle moved from the "front left" side to the "back right" of the printer. The part and the nozzle collided with an overlap of about 3 mm....

• 1 year later...

Same Issue here Vasile. It's not a problem that happens at every layer. it just happends at the end of the print when finalizing the print. I don't understand the issue. It's like if the bed is moved up after the print finishes and then the print head want's to move to the side and then CRASH.

I would love to have some help from Ultimaker team on that matter !

Hi, @Nicko_Airbus I had the same issue, with firmware 7.0.1, after update with 7.0.2 I don't see this problem.

But I'm not sure that the problem is the firmware. I checked all the parameters in the printer menu, and in the future I won't use the option "latest firmware". 

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 - Crash after printing?

same issue here. Finding a problem with this printer every day now, driving me crazy.

The head has obviously collided with the job after the print and it has forced the glass bed right over. Thats 2 jobs in a row now its done this, its also tore away some of the rubber protector around the nozzle.

Why lord why, why cant you just work like my Ultimaker 2 does 😞 

*I've just upgraded to 7.0.2, I'll run again to see if the problem remains.

IMG_20220216_090650.jpg

Edited by Super_paulie

I have had this problem a couple of times in the past, and my reseller advised me that it may have been down to warping. It only seems to happen at the very end of a print, so I'm very interested in the outcome of this thread

Ciao @PeterWhite76, I don't thinks that the problem is caused by warping in my case, because I have print the same parts and after update the firmware I had the problem, after update with the new one firmware the problem was fix. But now I configured the printer for update of Firmware stable and not latest.

For info... This has started happening to me again. 4 prints in a row now. Why does the head have to glide over the top of the model so very closely at the end of the print? Surely lowering the bed 10mm or so covers all potential collisions with a warped part? Absolutely no need to glide so damn closely.

My part isn't even warped, it's totally flat but it still collides, no idea why. Only a matter of time before the glass bed gets destroyed no doubt.

Hi I have only done this by following a youtube tutorial, so don't really know anything about it.

But when making eg. a temperature tower for testing filaments you can "relatively easily" alter the g-code inside Cura to do changes pr. layers. So it should be possible to tell Cura to lower the build plate 10mm after the last layer in the same way.

Indeed. You could potentially edit the code to do the job, quite easily I'd imagine. But I'm in the opinion of I shouldn't really have to, as this was a £10k machine...

Still, it's something I'll look into if the problem persists.

Not sure if this is still an active thread, but I’m running into an issue that with the print head colliding with my finished print that seems to match what others describe here.

I’ve now witnessed this behavior on 2 prints in a row:
    1. The print is fine and the status of the print is complete. 
    2. The print head pauses over the print (possibly running the fan over the last bit of extrusion?)
    3. The printer moves into a post print process where it extrudes filament off to the side of the print bed. **This is when the collision happens**. As the print head moves to the side, the bed also raises to the highest Z position, creating a direct line of impact with the print.

Fortunately, both prints were not highly involved prints, and the impact of the print head knocked the print off the bed. Both prints sustained damage where the filament was not completely cool and the printer head made contact.

Most of my prints have been relatively low profile so far, but I’m about to print a tall print that will most definitely be crushed at the end when the bed is raised to the top after the print, so I need to find a solution.

Does anyone know if there’s a way to configure the post-print process?

I am experiencing this exact issue. Out of no where I crash while printer is ending the print job. Once completed printing, the bed raises while head moves to front left. Purges material, then moves to rear right absolutely plowing through my prints. It’s terrible and for over 12k this is absolutely unacceptable. The only thing I can think of is either firmware updated without me noticing, or the code somehow was altered to not drop the plate. Extremely disappointing and now have customers prints delayed till this is fixed. 

happened to me 4 times in a row this week, after months of never doing it. The frustration with this machine never ends! Come in after each print to find the glass plate pushed clean out of the metal retainers and shunted right over to the side of the bed, model has a big divot in it where the head has collided and pushed it over.

Make that 5 times in a row... I did upgrade the firmware to the latest one just last week, it's no coincidence.

Why fly so close to the top layer of the print, I don't get it. Move the bed down 10mm, it makes no sense. I guess it's the material station that controls it but god almighty.

Super-paulie, I’m sorry to hear you have this problem. We (in R&D) hear about this from time to time, but are not able to reproduce this. 
    You write you have this problem now 5x in a row. Can you please dump the logfiles to a usb disk and send them to me. I’ll DM my email address. 
    Do this before rebooting the printer please. 

In this series of 5, did you restart the printer at any time?

If not, would you try that and attempt the 6th print?

It's happened 6 times in a row now, see attached. I'll get the log files when I get in tomorrow morning for you guys. See the glass bed shunted over to the right hand side.

Screenshot_20230119_000909_org.adblockplus.browser_1.jpg

Edited by Super_paulie

Take a video near the last print process......Why is your glass plate greenish in color?

My S5 few issues in almost two years....One issue sent new part under warranty. Tech Support is Beyond Excellent ....have no concerns about your new purchase.....

5 hours ago, Super_paulie said:

It's happened 6 times in a row now, see attached. I'll get the log files when I get in tomorrow morning for you guys. See the glass bed shunted over to the right hand side.

Screenshot_20230119_000909_org.adblockplus.browser_1.jpg

In this sequence of 6 times, did you ever reboot the machine?

Did you use Cura to slice the printjob?

Edited by tomnagel
    Add extra question

Don't think it's rebooted, no.

I'll attempt to watch the final layer and record it today, yes.

The plate is that colour because we use kapton tape on the bed for adhesion.

Yes I use Cura. It's a job that's saved in my digital factory as it's a repeat job that we use every week without being changed. 

Edited by Super_paulie

Could you please reboot the machine, and print the same printjob again? I need to know if the problem persists over a reboot

i have rebooted the machine and started the job but it takes around 7hrs so i'll see what happens this afternoon with it.

See attached of how the plate gets "shunted" at the end of the job, the yellow tape is Kapton which is our choice of adhesion method. I have indicated the impact point, it seems to be on the "inside" of that part when the head is moving from left to right as you look at it from the front. The job is marked as completed however.

I have the log files which i will send over now.

MicrosoftTeams-image (19).png

Edited by Super_paulie

i can confirm that the collision issue DID NOT occur after i had rebooted the machine and started the job off again. So whatever is going on is cleared by a machine power cycle. However we dont really want to be in a position where we need to cycle the machine after every job "just incase" so hopefully the logs provide some evidence on what is happening.

57 minutes ago, Super_paulie said:

i can confirm that the collision issue DID NOT occur after i had rebooted the machine and started the job off again. So whatever is going on is cleared by a machine power cycle. However we dont really want to be in a position where we need to cycle the machine after every job "just incase" so hopefully the logs provide some evidence on what is happening.

Of course, don’t worry, that’s not what I will be asking of you. I’m very happy with this outcome though. 
    Roughly a month ago our firmware team worked on solving an issue that is very similar to what you are describing. 
    This issue was that when a user paused a print and then aborted, a certain variable was left in a wrong state, impacting all print job after that.

This variable is now reset only after a reboot. 
    This will be fixed in a firmware version that we hope to launch before mid Feb. 
    I apologize for the bad experiences you had. This one was really hard to find since it took a long time before we found out how to reproduce this. 

• Like 1