Can't connect to printer since firmware update

wfin73

Posted · Can't connect to printer since firmware update

After updating to the most recent firmware, we have lost the ability to connect to our printer over the network via an ethernet cable (our IT doesn't like WIFI printers). IT seems to think it's a firmware problem and suggests rolling back to the previous version. Is that even possible?

Thanks!

Sorry about that, it's an S3 with firmware 5.8.2. I did manage to connect to it this afternoon, but ONLY when I'm on WiFi. As soon as I connect back to the network with a cable, I lose connection to the printer again.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2020 at 10:50 PM, wfin73 said:

Sorry about that, it's an S3 with firmware 5.8.2. I did manage to connect to it this afternoon, but ONLY when I'm on WiFi. As soon as I connect back to the network with a cable, I lose connection to the printer again.

I'm 100% sure it is not the firmware. We did not change anything network related between 5.7 and 5.8.2. When connected to ethernet are you still able to ping the ip of the printer? If not maybe there is something wrong with the cable or the connector or the switch-port.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We updated to the 6.0 firmware per my company's request. Since then I haven't been able to connect to the printer through ethernet which worked before the update. I know 6.0 changes network security but what is the right way to connect to the printer after updating to the 6.0

With 6.0 you can only use the Digital Factory, so you have to send your print jobs through the cloud. A direct connection is not possible anymore.

• Like 1

I have read the article and tried to connect to Digital Factory but the printer won't allow me to click on Digital Factory. Is wifi needed to use digital factory? The firewall appears to be off already as well. 

You need a working internet connection, wifi or ethernet doesn't matter. Is the printer able to connect to the internet or is it isolated?

It was connected through ethernet and still is plug into the port (and should work). It is possible IT has to work on something to get approved and I am working on that with them already. 

It is hard to say, but I would say, the printer is not allowed to connect to the internet. So check with your IT if the printer is allowed to do that.

• Like 1

I have double checked with IT and they say the problem is with the printer. I have also asked other plants inside the company who also have the same 3-D printer S5 with Pro Bundle and all upgraded to the 6.0 firmware and no one else had this issue. The printer does not seem to be behaving the same either. It did not eject ABS after two hours sitting in the parked location. The printer has been unused in the past 3 days but the nozzles have a blue light on them and the print head is not the "home" location all the way in the back left. It is in the back middle. I am trying to download the firmware again but the links seem broken in the posts and can't seem to download it again. 

I cannot give you advices about the material station, but when you say, other printers are working fine after the upgrade, then I would contact your reseller. Also if you want to reinstall the FW, your reseller should be able to give you the download link, because it seems the official download link on the UM website is not working anymore. 

On 1/18/2021 at 4:44 PM, arktape said:

I have double checked with IT and they say the problem is with the printer. I have also asked other plants inside the company who also have the same 3-D printer S5 with Pro Bundle and all upgraded to the 6.0 firmware and no one else had this issue. The printer does not seem to be behaving the same either. It did not eject ABS after two hours sitting in the parked location. The printer has been unused in the past 3 days but the nozzles have a blue light on them and the print head is not the "home" location all the way in the back left. It is in the back middle. I am trying to download the firmware again but the links seem broken in the posts and can't seem to download it again. 

Please DON'T try to downgrade it! It is not possible, we clearly state this with the release notes! 6.x is based on a different OS version, downgrading will most likely brick your printer!

Wait for 6.1 to be released it will be here *really* soon, try upgrading it will also give some new possibilities to (network) provision your printer.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:28 PM, arktape said:

It was connected through ethernet and still is plug into the port (and should work). It is possible IT has to work on something to get approved and I am working on that with them already. 

Printer / DF (Digital Factory) indeed don't care about the type of connection being ethernet or wifi, but it must have access to the "cloud" in order for DF to work (and this should work with the firewall turned on).

If you want direct local network access to the printer (e.a. direct from cura to the printer or use the API on the printer) the firewall needs to be off.

3 hours ago, sj3fk3 said:

Please DON'T try to downgrade it!

Don't worry I wouldn't try it as the website has made it clear it won't work. I uploaded 6.0 again and the printer seemed to behave better but still no luck with ethernet. I also tried factory reset per @SandervG but still no luck. 

All networking data should be removed on a settings -> "reset all printer settings" (used to be called "factory reset")
    If you haven't already tried that, it might fix your problem.

Otherwise version 6.1.0's new import network settings via USB might help as a workaround though this shouldn't be needed.

On 1/21/2021 at 8:34 PM, arktape said:

Don't worry I wouldn't try it as the website has made it clear it won't work. I uploaded 6.0 again and the printer seemed to behave better but still no luck with ethernet. I also tried factory reset per @SandervG but still no luck. 

Firmware 6.1 is released as of a couple of minutes ago, see also https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012055979 where you can find an alternative way of network provisioning (including fixed IP).

I have upgraded to 6.1. I am still unable to connect to ethernet. I have tried connecting with the USB and have not been able to get it to work yet. I know the IP address, subnet, gateway, and DNS. Using the file Ultimaker provides I wrote, (I put the numbers in don't worry)

[service_ethernet]
    Type = ethernet
    IPv4 = IP address/subnet/gateway
    IPv6 = off
    Nameservers = DNS

I had no luck with this. I can't seem to get this printer connected to the ethernet. 

did you try a settings -> "reset all printer settings" (used to be called "factory reset")

Yes I have. Still no luck. What would cause the ethernet to not turn on? Not plugged in, no ethernet detected, machine doesn't want to?

As a last ditch effort I tried several ethernet ports through out the building with a new cord. First 3 no luck but the fourth works! Turns out I just got really unlucky and right around the update (I don't use the printer everyday) the port I was using stopped and the other ports I tried before didn't work even though we just had them put in. So at least now I know the issue and it is an IT issue now. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, arktape said:

As a last ditch effort I tried several ethernet ports through out the building with a new cord. First 3 no luck but the fourth works! Turns out I just got really unlucky and right around the update (I don't use the printer everyday) the port I was using stopped and the other ports I tried before didn't work even though we just had them put in. So at least now I know the issue and it is an IT issue now. Thanks for the help!

Glad that you have found the issue!

I have not updated my firmware to 6, but my connectivity seems to have fixed itself. I'm guessing it was more to do with our internal networking than the firmware.

What a bummer:  With 6.0 you can only use the Digital Factory, so you have to send your print jobs through the cloud. A direct connection is not possible anymore.

i might have to roll back then.  this is a no-go for me.