ticking sound?

braddock

Posted · ticking sound?

Question for U2 owners, if you listen to this clip, there's a constant ticking sound in the background. It may have always been there, I'm not sure. It's more noticeable here due to the straight line bottom layer printing at slow speed. This print is currently running trouble free, no under extruding or anything.

Just wondering if this is a normal sound, and where it's coming from?

ticking sound

Posted · ticking sound?

I believe the clicking is the feeder stepper motor skipping steps as a function of the too much force bring required to progress the filament through the feeder. illuminarti unspools a his filament on the ground for less resistance into the feeder, I believe gr5 has also mentioned the feeder mechanism seems to be about 50% weaker. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm off.

Posted · ticking sound?

I believe the clicking is the feeder stepper motor skipping steps as a function of the too much force bring required to progress the filament through the feeder. illuminarti unspools a his filament on the ground for less resistance into the feeder, I believe gr5 has also mentioned the feeder mechanism seems to be about 50% weaker. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm off.

Hi Aaron, no, that's a different sound, and only happens when the feeder skips, it's not constant. I'm all too familiar with that sound!

Cheers.

Posted · ticking sound?

The sound happens even when the x,y steppers have stopped. It happens even during retraction. It can't be belt related because x,y steppers have stopped. I don't think it's Z related.

It doesn't sound related to the ultimaker at all.

Posted · ticking sound?

When I look at my own video, sounds even my printer is defective.

So real everything sounds much more harmless. But maybe it will help you further.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/gallery/image/2591-20140107-053335/

Markus

Posted · ticking sound?

I don't think it's abnormal... It's not noticeable when printing at normal speed making more detailed shapes.

Posted · ticking sound?

If your machine is at a standstill, then test if you can manually move back and forth the linear waves of the X and Y axis. Check all four waves.

I do not mean the print head, but the waves with their Pulleys ...

Can you move it further than half a millimeter, then sit the Pulleys not correct and there are clack noise.

The Pulleys at the respective ends to act as a limiter. For movements on the axes the Pulleys against the spacers and bearings, if too much leeway is available.

Also check all the screws from the Pulleys.

Edit: Pullys > Pulleys

Markus

Posted · ticking sound?

I don't quite understand what you mean by "waves" if you pull on the belts, it's the same as moving the head?

Posted · ticking sound?

I have this ticking sound too...and it seems to get louder when there is more tension on the filament...i mean when the extruder needs to pull harder on the filament (for example there is some sort of nut in the filament.) I plan to make an upgraded filament holder to reduce this pulling force and hopefully this noise...

Posted · ticking sound?

Hi Aaron, no, that's a different sound, and only happens when the feeder skips, it's not constant. I'm all too familiar with that sound!

Cheers.

One of these days I'll diagnose a troubleshooting question, lol.

Posted · ticking sound?

.and it seems to get louder when there is more tension on the filamen

This sound happens even during retraction. It can't be the extruder.

This sound even happens when the UM2 stops moving. I don't think it's coming from the UM2.

Posted · ticking sound?

I fixed a ticking sound I had last night but I'm not sure it sounded exactly like that. Either way it was the cables for the LED strip that were rubbing on one of the pullies.

I have another sort of ticking sound that is softer that comes from the extruder motor.

Posted · ticking sound?

But again, the sounds you describe wouldn't occur when the XY steppers were stopped or during retraction *and* priming *and* printing. Also the frequency is regular - like a metronome whereas the printer is speeding up, slowing down, stopping, etc.

Posted · ticking sound?

Well I guess your sense of beat is better than mine then because I can't really determine if the frequency is constant.

Posted · ticking sound?

Yes, I get the same soft 'motor tick' that Robert describes. But I'm really not sure what the sound in the video is.

Posted · ticking sound?

This sound happens even during retraction. It can't be the extruder.

This sound even happens when the UM2 stops moving. I don't think it's coming from the UM2.

gr5 if you listen carefully, the sound stops during retraction, and at the end of each move. It's coming from the UM2.

It sounds to me like it's motor related, possibly the same as what illuminarti and Robert describe, it just stands out more in the video as there isn't the squirly movement sound the UM2 usually makes when printing to mask it.

Later in the print stage, once the speed is up, fans are one, and normal print noises are occurring, the sound isn't distinguishable.

Posted · ticking sound?

gr5 if you listen carefully, the sound stops during retraction, and at the end of each move. It's coming from the UM2.

Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. It is unrelated. It is uncorrelated. It's drumming to it's own beat - unrelated to the movement, unrelated to the retraction. You can dance to the damn clicking sound. Try listening to it and snapping with each click. Sometimes you will snap before, during, or after retraction depending because there is no synchronization between clicks and anything else.

Sometimes there are 5 clicks between retractions, sometimes 6. But the clicks are as consistent as a metronome.

One could write a song to the clicking or instead the movement sound, or the retraction sound - but if you try to make a song to all 3 it will come out more complicated than an African drumming pattern (they have complex rhythms sometimes).

Posted · ticking sound?

Is now may not matter, but what I really wanted to make it clear in my previous post was the following:

Touched with two fingers of one Pullys (Pullies?) On the linear rods. Then do not try to turn, but to push and pull them. Linear motions, just like the machine also makes them.

The rods with two Pullys should be able to rotate. But they should not be able to make even linear movements.

Only the carriage and the print head should be allowed to make linear movements, right?

Otherwise arise annoying extra noise and vibration, and at very high printing speed may arise destructive forces.

Guys, please check your machine.

My machine was affected by this issue.

Click clack click clack

Edit: Pullys > Pullies > Pulleys :lol:

Markus

Posted · ticking sound?

Oh I follow you now. No, rods are all tight, no linear play in them at all.

Posted · ticking sound?

Fine, then I still have managed to express myself it's understandable. :oops:

Have a nice day. :-P

Posted · ticking sound?

Thanks for your help!

Fine, then I still have managed to express myself it's understandable. :oops:

Have a nice day. :-P

Posted · ticking sound?

It might be a bit late, but we experience the same ticking noise with our UM2 (we got it 2 weeks ago...). It has a higher frequency than the one shown by the original poster, but it is darn annoying and was not present until to day - miraculously...

I agree with what was written here, the clicking is constant even when x,y steppers change direction or don't move at all, also retraction is unlikely the cause.

My best guess is that it stems from the feeder, but I have no idea how to solve that. I think we already lowered spring tension to its minimum (ah yeah: filament is Innofil Black, 3 mm, that could be relevant in that respect)

Does someone have a suggestion on how to zero in on the cause?

Posted · ticking sound?

Hi

I use besides UM filament also from time to time INNOFILL, and then the material transport is a little louder in any case.

I suspect it has something to do with the water content in the material.

Maybe it helps a little if you reduce retraction sppeed set to (20-25mm / s), and retraction Lenght at 5.5mm.

Full eliminate this noise you'll probably only if retraction is switched off completely.

Because then always drips some material from the nozzle while the print head goes to an new position without printing. The material is pulled and there are unnecessary threads / lint.

At the end you have to edit the finished objects intensive.

Markus

Posted · ticking sound?

Hi guys, I am having the same problem as well with the "ticking" or "knocking" sound as well. Please listen to the sound in the video:

Knocking Sound