Should we also be posting our models on Thingiverse ?

ian

Posted · Should we also be posting our models on Thingiverse ?

Should we also be posting our models on Thingiverse ?

I want to support ultimaker because I believe in them.

And thats why I have pulled a lot of my 3d content off thingiverse and have posted only my new creations on youmagine.

My question is... thingiverse at the moment has 1000 times more users and visitors than youmagine... If we did double post our ultimaker models there as well... we would also be spreading the name ultimaker.

If we only concentrate on youmagine, we are bunkering our efforts in there... if we copy our efforts onto thingiverse and post with each model... printed with an ultimaker.. that spreads the name further...

This was just a little thought I had this morning when I was eating my cornflakes...

Ian :-)

I think posting your designs on multiple platforms is ok as long as the platforms stay open-sourced and independent of the printer model you use. If one of them closes to the users of a certain printer, one might have to change. Actually Ultimaker is already going further into that direction by adding the 'send to 3d printer' button (I guess it's only possible with an Ultimaker, or am I wrong?).

If you want to make money with your prints you anyway have to use neither Youmagine nor Thingiverse.

Edit: To be honest, I usually first have a look on Thingiverse as the chances to find a suitable design is much bigger there. They have the advantage of having started earlier.

I'm trying to redirect traffic to YouMagine, by hosting the SolidWorks versions of my files on YouMagine only, but the Stls on both sites with a link to YouMagine from Thingiverse.

i think thats a good way to go !!

we all know how good ultimaker is and we want to see it get even better.. thats why we should or want to help them as much as we can... horrible to see such an incredible small company get smashed out by one of the big monsters...

Ian :-)

I've been trying to post on both but to be completely honest posting on youmagine feels like sending something into a black hole. I want as many people as possible to see what little I put out there and the difference between the sites is enormous.

Cable chain, 13 downloads vs 1044 (spread over 4 files but I imagine that's the same on youmagine).

Labyrinth box, 13 vs 2194.

Youmagine is in a bit of a catch 22 situation.

Honestly I have the same impression as Robert.

With the implementation into Cura, the adoption can be forced but getting the same attention as Thingiverse will need a few more month...

Currently I upload my designs to Thingiverse only because I´m used to it and it´s easy to look up for things or get ideas because of the amount.

Further it provides a few great features which are currently missing on youmagine (or which I have not recognized up to now) e.g. the collections and the way of organize it. I often mark things I´d like to print when I have time or which could be usefull somedays (download the stuff and create a own local data store is not my intention, but maybe a local database could be a nice feature of Cura someday??)

I hope that youmagine become also as popular as thingiverse and that designers which leave thingiverse find youmagine the right new place...

just my two cents...

Actually Ultimaker is already going further into that direction by adding the 'send to 3d printer' button (I guess it's only possible with an Ultimaker, or am I wrong?).

You're wrong. Erik did some prototype style tests with it. And right now I'm working with a valued community member (hired by Ultimaker) to define what you actually want for network printing, and how to build it.

The plan is to pretty much open this up. Allowing everyone and every printer to chip in if they want.

Hello people

A friend showed me thingyverse. We have often talked about the much waste is presented. This refers to prints of poor quality, bad documentation, poor representations, all pretty unloving. Really a great mass, but quantity is not enough. Again and again were small highlights to recognize, objects with apparent high print Quality. These were from a Ultimaker machine has meant my friend. That was an important clue for my decision, so I now have a Ultimaker2. I do not regret this decision.

So it is a good and detailed presentation with tips for successful reproduction significantly crucial. Then the name Ultimaker is a self-perpetuating, guaranteed. Things that are on other machines not so slight feasible are needed.

And people..."You need Gasoline"...You have to get a head start...The firmware and software should be supplied with more than one language, which is important for a wide-ranging acceptance...

"Designed for non-expert and expert"...eliminating language-barriers, so you enjoy a new feeling when easy 3D-Printing...

Markus

I'm generally also with Robert on this one. There's still a lot to wish for on youmagine. Also, there is a bunch of people using some of my designs on Thingiverse, and following me there, and I would feel bad with not giving them a chance to see my latest stuff. I would gladly cut off any ties with (Strata-)Makerbot, but I think youmagine is not a true rival as things stand now.

I must say I really like Aaron's approach, in the future I will try to host the solid files only on YouMagine.

I decided to go with Youmagine only for my R2-D2 model because I also want to support the Ultimaker team and Youmagine.

The amount of downloads and likes on Youmagine is nowhere close to Thingiverse but honestly I don't really care that much about that since I'm not considering making profit from my models.

I noticed there's a "I printed one" button on Youmagine now. Perhaps it's been there for ages but honestly I just noticed it :-) Cool!

One thing I would really recommend is a better method to just browse through the models. With only 9 models on one page just browsing around is not much fun.

Is it a good idea if we share stuff for upgrade that can be use on other brand of printer? So in the event of doing this make other brand user to come over and see how YourMagine is doing and the great stuff we sharing, even their printer can use and print. Don.t forget more will get to see how well UM can print if we add more video of the process in printing and the finial product image. :) :idea:

I post on both but I always make sure my photos try and include ultimaker. The print bed makes a good photo booth. This way they can see what made said product what designer is using what. :)

Yes Yes Yes, exactly so I want to make it too... B)

I want to easily be able to reach many people in this world.

Any interested individual, I want to give the opportunity to use my small design's.

This is my motivation to do things without expecting anything in return. :wub:

...always shown with a small fingertip on my Ultimaker machine... :ph34r:

Markus

I think YouMagine is improving in user base size. My most popular design that is on both sites shows a 3:1 ratio of downloads, and 7:1 ratio of like/favorites, when comparing Thingiverse:YouMagine.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/universal-joint-with-bearings

(80 D/L, 10 favorites)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:392828

(264 D/L, 70 likes)

Maybe not directly comparable, but certainly different from the 100:1 ratio that IRobertI reported back in January. If I hadn't posted it on Thingiverse, I wouldn't have been able to proudly reply there when a comment praised the surface finish in my photo and asked me what printer I used. :smile:

Note: this forum has an annoying bug that HTML links get merged together with any following text on the same line, and mangled in the process. So any link must be the last thing on a line. It would be nice to see that fixed!

Well that depends...similar metrics maybe needed to compare?

Take for example two things featured on both sites.

Currently as this is posted the downloads are as follows :

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:362357

7122 downloads

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/velociraptor-business-card

579 downloads.

This gives a more realistic of around 10:1 (I know it's 12 but it's easier estimate being 10)

The benefit of youmagine is simply there are higher quality items posted on a average. It hasn't reached the user level where people are constantly uploading anything they were able to scrap together in a free cad program.

It would be nice if through votes items could be moderated or sorted based on quality. To keep any garbage piling up as does on thingiverse.

Note: this forum has an annoying bug that HTML links get merged together with any following text on the same line, and mangled in the process. So any link must be the last thing on a line. It would be nice to see that fixed!

Amen...

The benefit of youmagine is simply there are higher quality items posted on a average. It hasn't reached the user level where people are constantly uploading anything they were able to scrap together in a free cad program.

It would be nice if through votes items could be moderated or sorted based on quality. To keep any garbage piling up as does on thingiverse.

I find myself visiting Youmagine more regularly now, since new things are uploaded more frequently, however if you dont wan't to search for a special keyword I don't find it easy to explore it.

On the-competitor-website-we-shall-not-name I usually check the "made" pages, it's like a first filter from other users: if they printed it, it's certainly worth it AND feasible, isn't it? Better than a "like" or "favorite" sort, of good looking designs impossible to print, but so good looking.

The narcissic me like to upload pics of what I made, and the narcissic designer likes to see people using his/her design at the other end. And it's also a way to thank the designer. This is a "social" aspect which is underdevelopped at the moment in YM I think. I know it's kind of useless per se, but it's a cement and really creating a virtuous circle.

The benefit of youmagine is simply there are higher quality items posted on average. It hasn't reached the user level where people are constantly uploading anything they were able to scrape together in a free cad program.

It would certainly be good to have smart filters that show you only the "good stuff", although that depends on your interests... For example, I am working more often with functional mechanical parts as opposed to art and I am mostly interested in models with OpenSCAD source provided, because I usually want to change some dimensions to suit the project at hand, and I don't have access to SolidWorks etc.

Jbeale, I'm open to the idea of free cad software. But my reference was to the people who just learned how to extrude a star or a box and hen they post the models. :(

My belief is that anything printed needs to have function or a reason to exist. Otherwise it is a waste. There must be some use to someone else other than the designer too. Example posting a box with the name John Doe in it doesn't benefit a secondary user.

I also get a lot of spam from other startup sites wanting to "feature me" bla bla crap. I think that for an account to exist there must be more of a waiting period for youmagine accounts or at least it requires a few approved posts or models uploaded. Or the accounts get deleeted with no activity at all.

It kind of depends, if you really wants sales, I think you should put your design on both sites: That said, Thingiverse and youmagine. But you can always set a cheaper price for youmagine if you wanna support Ultimaker. Smart plan huh?

If you want to sell your designs both YouMagine and Thingiverse are the wrong place to publish. These sites are for sharing free designs.