Fine Knurl Feeder Error 65

L_Guertin

Posted · Fine Knurl Feeder Error 65

Hi, 

We recently installed the fine knurl feeder for our second extruder. We use the second extruder exclusively for PVA and I am happy to say it fixed the issue with PVA filament breaking in the Bowden tube.

Only issue is that when it prints pva, the printer pauses and spits out error 65. I made it resume the print from my phone as nothing seems to be going wrong on the actual print. And as long as I don`t clear the error on the touchscreen, it prints fine. But once it finishes a layer after clearing the error, it pauses again and gives the same error. I tried tightening the feeder's grip slightly above the recommended setting, although not all the way.

This isn``'t stopping us from printing fortunately, but it is a bit weird and annoying. Any help would be welcomed!

Leandre

If you only installed one of them, I'd go ahead and add the second one as well. They are meant to be paired together, so if only one is installed, you could potentially run into a number of issues, ranging from things like Er65s to motion controller errors.

Other common causes are things such as:

* Front fan being impacted by debris https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011635039

* Partially clogged core https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011620800
    * Debris in the feeder https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011652139-Clean-the-feeders-on-the-Ultimaker-S5 (I'd also recommend resetting the tension back to the middle notch)
    * Waterlogged PVA https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012057799

* Changes to Cura profile settings (Speeds, temperatures, layer heights)

If you continue to see errors after checking these, then I'd recommend opening a support ticket via: https://support.ultimaker.com/

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Priddy said:

If you only installed one of them, I'd go ahead and add the second one as well. They are meant to be paired together, so if only one is installed, you could potentially run into a number of issues, ranging from things like Er65s to motion controller errors.

Other common causes are things such as:

* Front fan being impacted by debris https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011635039

* Partially clogged core https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011620800
    * Debris in the feeder https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011652139-Clean-the-feeders-on-the-Ultimaker-S5 (I'd also recommend resetting the tension back to the middle notch)
    * Waterlogged PVA https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012057799

* Changes to Cura profile settings (Speeds, temperatures, layer heights)

If you continue to see errors after checking these, then I'd recommend opening a support ticket via: https://support.ultimaker.com/

I installed the other matching feeder as you instructed. I checked the fan, core and feeder and they all seem fine. Our pva seems in decent condition so I doubt that's the issue. We also use the default cura profiles when printing.

Unfortunately I still get the same error.

So coincidentally I just learned something this week about these feeders.  And I already forgot what I learned except you really really need to contact your reseller.  There's some complexity with the 2 different feeder wheels and the 4 different feeder circuit boards that can cause errors if you don't do it "properly".

And if your reseller isn't familiar with this issue they need to contact Ultimaker about it.  There is some bulletin or something I think that explains in great detail what works and what doesn't work and how to fix it and so on.

• Like 2

That's a bit awkward for us because we got the feeders directly from Ultimaker after we had a call with them. We'll contace the original seller of the printer and see what they say. I will update afterwards.

Oh - well then in that case, contact ultimaker directly.  I'm not certain but I think you might be able to do that by going to support.ultimaker.com  and click "submit a request" in the top right corner. 

I am also having an issue with the fine knurl feeders and error 65 on my S5 with material station. In my case, I installed both new feeders, upon recommendation from Fbrc8 (Ultimaker's US service company), so it's not a problem of mismatched feeders. Like the OP, the new feeders did solve my problem with broken PVA, which was a near constant and debilitating issue, so I'm glad for that. But ever since I changed the feeders, I get random ER65 errors on my #1 feeder, running even common filament like PLA. The errors occur at random intervals, on different sorts of parts, and they are not reproducible, so it is very difficult to diagnose. The only thing I know for certain is that it started happening after installing the new feeders and occurs at random intervals ranging from 20 hours of run time to 60 hours of run time. Fbrc8 has been pretty much useless, just quoting me sections of the user's manual basically, so I'm kind of out of ideas. I've already cleaned and serviced the entire machine, including the feeders, installed a new print core, recalibrated the decouplers, reseated the cable at the head, etc, etc. I'm also using standard UM profiles in Cura and a PLA that has run beautifully through 5kg or more. Fbrc8 told me I cannot use one of each type of feeder as that would cause errors and I was also strongly discouraged from increasing the tension on the #1 feeder to improve its grip. Even when I get the errors, the prints come out fine once resumed, so it's not a clogged nozzle or stripped filament or anything like that. Where do I go from here?

Contact fbrc8 about this.  There is some kind of bulletin within Ultimaker - something to do with these different types of feeders on the S5.  Possibly some feeders mislabelled?  Not sure but contact fbrc8.  They are really really good and by now should be familiar with any potential, newly discovered issues.

7 hours ago, gr5 said:

Contact fbrc8 about this.  There is some kind of bulletin within Ultimaker - something to do with these different types of feeders on the S5.  Possibly some feeders mislabelled?  Not sure but contact fbrc8.  They are really really good and by now should be familiar with any potential, newly discovered issues.

Unfortunately, they were unable to help. That's why I came here. So far, I've been three days without an error. Hope I didn't just jinx it.

@rachael7 this is exactly the sort of thing fbrc8 helps with. It looks like one of our technicians responded to your ticket on Friday morning and is waiting for feedback from you. 

Hi @rachael7, sounds like FBRC8 is on it via @fbrc8-erin, glad to hear! 

@L_Guertin, feel free to send me a DM with who you have been in touch with. I'll see if I can reconnect you, or with someone else who will be able to work with you towards a solution. An alternative route could be to submit a ticket via this link. Looking forward hearing from you! 

2 hours ago, fbrc8-erin said:

@rachael7 this is exactly the sort of thing fbrc8 helps with. It looks like one of our technicians responded to your ticket on Friday morning and is waiting for feedback from you. 

Thanks, Erin. Unfortunately, we were unable to reach a resolution. The issue is too intermittent to pin down. If I can find any pattern or capture the logs after an error, we may have a new direction to investigate. But for now, we’re at an impasse. 

When you're able to get logs, we'll be happy to help.

The logs typically last for a long time - weeks or more.  If you know the date it happened it's not hard to find the corresponding information in the logs.  Anyway if it's intermittent then it is indeed difficult to fix.

• Like 1