3D stops due to issues as shown in picture

Paramesh

Posted · 3D stops due to issues as shown in picture

That's mostly normal.  You should still get a great print despite all that extra PVA scattered around your print.

Did the printer actually stop early?  What was the message exactly?

You have to keep your PVA very dry.  Don't leave it on the back of the printer.  If you have the material station then you don't have to worry but if you don't then you want to put it in a sealed bag with a cup or two of dessicant when you aren't printing.

But that PVA looks okay to me (it's hard to tell but the darker the pva (more transparent) the better and yours looks darkish).

• Like 1

you are correct I believe, I left the PVA on the printer for almost 4 weeks and trying to print now. may be that's the reason it is giving so many strings and stopping the print regularly.

I shall keep the PVA warm today and try by evening or tomorrow

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Paramesh said:

you are correct I believe, I left the PVA on the printer for almost 4 weeks and trying to print now. may be that's the reason it is giving so many strings and stopping the print regularly.

I shall keep the PVA warm today and try by evening or tomorrow

Thanks

PVA is very sensitive to moisture. If you leave it on your Ultimaker S5 without an air manager for 4 weeks you definitely need to dry it before you try and use it again. Here are instructions on how to dry your PVA. Good luck! 

• Like 1

Those instructions are good but 2 hours is not enough.  You need more like 40 hours.

To speed things up, look at your print in cura and see how many meters of PVA you need.  Then uncoil that man meters (plus one for the bowden) of filament and without cutting the filament, place the unspooled PVA directly on the glass.  Then place the remaining spool on top.  Cover with a towel.  Ideally you want many cm of insulation.  Set the heated bed to 60C.  Wait about 4 hours like that.  After 4 hours it should be dry enough.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 4:10 PM, gr5 said:

Those instructions are good but 2 hours is not enough.  You need more like 40 hours.

To speed things up, look at your print in cura and see how many meters of PVA you need.  Then uncoil that man meters (plus one for the bowden) of filament and without cutting the filament, place the unspooled PVA directly on the glass.  Then place the remaining spool on top.  Cover with a towel.  Ideally you want many cm of insulation.  Set the heated bed to 60C.  Wait about 4 hours like that.  After 4 hours it should be dry enough.

@gr5 40 hours? Just checking if this is not a typo since you say 4 hours twice later in your message. 

On 8/30/2021 at 6:37 AM, SandervG said:

@gr5 40 hours? Just checking if this is not a typo since you say 4 hours twice later in your message. 

I think that they were saying 40 hours for the method using 45-55 with a full spool. Their instructions limit the amount to just what is needed for the next print, putting the PVA directly on the glass, and increasing temperatures. I would think that all of those things would significantly speed up the process.

I just want thank you all who wrote on this post, I could finally print my very FIRST part and it turnout to be good.

I took PVA and kept on  build plate at 50 celcius hot for one hour, and then it worked well. below pic is the print. 

image.thumb.png.b55952e7a1ef33deccc06d5ab8889c3a.png

• Like 1

Hi All,

after first success, I did 3D print the second project. started with same procedure, kept the PVA on the build plate which was set to 55 deg Celsius hot for 60 mins. total print duration was 14 hours 40 mins. PVA did perform great upto first 3 hrs and then started messing around. this project did need the PVA support up untill top edge. just because PVA was messing around, the final print finish quality is not so good.

is there anybody who could help me in this regards (first getting a smooth finish on the print, and second making PVA to be good for whole print duration)

Thanks in advance

image.thumb.png.d2bcd36f216c14db680c6ed3ec44c010.png

image.thumb.png.af51420efeedcbfba1ea503f378a641f.png

Hi @Paramesh, thank you for your message. Sorry to hear your second print was less successful. You mention you dried the PVA for around an hour on a heated build plate, but in our instructions we suggest to do this for 2 hours. We also mention to do this in the box it came in, or some people also put it under a towel. 

Regarding the outer wall artefacts, it could be that during the print process pieces of PVA got in the walls if it got brittle, and therefor create some holes in your surface.