Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
tonycstech

Tweak at Layer Number Windows application

G-Code Modifier for windows users.

Application allows you to add changes to layer numbers instead of calculating the height using plugins.

Adding changes directly to layer makes it perfect for advanced tweaking and ultimate control of your printer.

Remove range of layers from code: Allows to resume your print if it fails from a known layer number.

Search for layer by height.

Screenshot1.5

Works with CURA generated G-Code

Works with CraftWare generated G-Code

Works with Repetier Slic3r generated G-Code (Special instructions see below)

V1.5 added saerch for height. Helps to find layer by height.

Download from https://www.dropbox.com/s/hz12ynenu41b8o6/G-Code%20Modifier.zip

Slic3r users instructions Repetier Slic3r.

Start Repetier/Click "Slicer" tab/Click "Configure" to cinfigure Slic3r settings.

Inside Slic3r window, under "Print Settings" tab, click "Output options"

On the right, check box with "Verbose G-code" as shown on the picture below.

Slic3rVerbose

Your code will now have ton of comments as shown below.

YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST save G-code as follows:

Inside Repetier, click "G-code Modifier" tab and click "Save" icon as shown below.

Slic3rGc0deEditor

Do not save G-Code as a job, my program will not be able to identify layers because there will be no comments in the G-code.

Great tool, Tony! It would be nice to have this incorporated into Cura!

Just one remark: would it be not too complicated to have the line numbers count from 1..N in stead of 0..N-1?

The first layer is layer 1, and the user would not make mistakes.

Just a remark...

Great compliments in creating this tweak.

Awesome post! I read your post in the rob3d printer forum http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/tool-for-cura-users.1655/#post-12230. Does your program still change the layers that are below it in the list, as in your rob3d example? I like your unwavering stance on starting at zero, do whatever you want I'm just glad to see such interest in the idea!

Great tool, Tony! It would be nice to have this incorporated into Cura!

Just one remark: would it be not too complicated to have the line numbers count from 1..N in stead of 0..N-1?

The first layer is layer 1, and the user would not make mistakes.

Just a remark...

Great compliments in creating this tweak.

Not good idea to count lines from 1 instead of 0.

This is because RAFT and BRIM generate negative values.

I might look into this but not sure.

I cannot implement this in CURA or make a plugin for CURA. Someone with python coding expirience has to do it. All i can is code windows apps.

Thank you. :) That is what I need, because Cura PlugIns with UM2 not works.

They don't? I think they do. When Cura went from 13.04 to 13.05 it broke all the plugins. Not all of them have been fixed. The tweakAtZ plugin that works best is on the plugin page but some of the other plugins might still not work. This one works fine (but does height in mm, not layer number):

https://github.com/Dim3nsioneer/Cura-Plugins/raw/master/TweakAtZ.3.0.1.py

Soneone need to tell me what is the difference between Reprap Ultimaker and Makerbot gcode generated by cura.

I only care about these codes:

M104 S230 Nozzle temp (no wait)

M140 S90 Bed temp (no wait)

M106 S255 fan speed

M220 S100 Print speed override %

M221 S100 Feed rate override %

M114 Remember current position

G1 XYZ movement

M0 Pause and Resume. Resume by user

G92 Move back to remembered position

These are only codes i suspect to be different. If they are all the same, i will need to delete that stupid so far useless dropdown for selecting firmware. It has no use as of right now anyway.

Thanks

I only know what those codes do on Ultimaker (Marlin). So I can't answer you. But here is a summary of those codes in Marlin:

scroll way down to the gcodes on this page:

https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/

Also here it talks about exceptions for certain firmware including Marlin (and possibly sailfish or whatever makerbot uses):

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

I don't know about the Makerbot coding.

The difference between Marlin/Reprap and Ultigcode is that the latter:

a. does not include start/end gcode - the printer does it automatically

b. uses G10/G11 for retract and deretract, rather than explicitly including movement on the e-axis

c. expresses e coordinates in cubic mm of plastic to be output, not linear mm of filament to feed in.

On the Ultimaker, M114 and G92 don't do what you said. M114 writes the current coordinates out to the serial port; and G92 is used to redefine the current coordinates, making the printer consider the current coordinates to be whatever values you supply.

Hi tonycstech,

are there any new features in planning?

May I wish or suggest something? I just do it :)

- denote the layer(s) which have been modified (for the current session)

- after apply a change: reset the values to "nothing", for exaple Bed Temp (I forgot it some times)

- allow to change more then one layer before writing the GCode

(especially if you write to sd-card and in large files it takes a long after every change)

I don't know what is possible...

V1.04 is out. Link updated.

Reseting values to "NOTHING" could be useful as well as not so much.

I my self would like to know what change i did with previous layer, so i kept this as is. (Perhaps add options dialog in the future)

At this time it is impossible to edit more then 1 layer at the time.

This is another thing to keep in mind. You can modify your code same layer as many times as you want, but previously added changes are still there and they will override changes you make on top of them.

This is because there is no "CHANGE" made, all this thing does is "ADD" code at the top of selected layer.

Program searching for :Layer #; in the code and reports its line as the location from where to start adding your changes.

If you add temperature change and bed change to that layer, you are adding 2 additional lines to the code.

Without reloading the code, changes for other layers you select will not be added to the correct line, therefore not changing correct layer (end of the previous most likely and not the beginning of the currently selected).

Do not write to SD card, write the code in your computer folders and then copy it to SD card when you done.

SD card speed is very slow compare to computer HDD.

Oooo man, this thing is getting sexier and sexier! I'm new the Ultimaker environment and am still waiting for my printer, but this thing looks sooooo useful. I like the absolute control it gives you, I can totally see changing these settings to print out very specific parts of things I've already designed.

Thanks again!