Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0

fvrmr

Posted · Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0

Hi all,

Today we release Ultimaker Cura 5.0! After multiple special beta releases to test our new slicing engine (formerly known as Arachne), the new slicing Engine is finally here. This new engine uses variable line widths when preparing files for printing, meaning you can now print thin and intricate parts more accurately and with greater strength.

image.thumb.png.9d2db7cf5a86b479e2f1d39496470e12.png

In the past, sliced files would use a consistent line width, with the exact width depending on the nozzle diameter and the line width settings used. This meant that when slicing a file, if part of the print was two-and-a-half lines thick, Ultimaker Cura would generate two lines and leave a small gap between them. In certain cases (such as with extremely small details) areas of less than one line thick would not be able to print at all. This issue has been completely solved with the latest release. Your printed parts will now have fewer internal gaps which means they’ll not only look better, but they’ll be stronger as well. The following improvements have also been included:

• Renewed the Ultimaker Cura Marketplace
    We have streamlined the workflow for accessing the Ultimaker Marketplace inside of Ultimaker Cura. The UI has been improved and it’s now easier and faster to find and install plugins and material profiles.

image.thumb.png.68692355429dd95cbe8c1b577026e257.png

• Compatible with Apple M1 chips
    We have fixed a number of visual bugs meaning that users of Apple M1 chips can now enjoy improved compatibility.  
  • Improved print profiles for Ultimaker printers
  • New Cura Icon and splash screen

Bug fixes:

• Fixed a bug where Monotonic Ironing breaks Ironing, contributed by BagelOrb
  • Fixed a bug where modifier meshes didn't work in one-at-a-time mode
  • Fixed double scroll bar, contributed by fieldOfView

After the 5.0 beta release we want to thank you all for reporting bugs, these issues have been fixed after the beta release:

• Fixed a bug where multiply was not possible, contributed by fieldOfView
  • Fixed a bug where exporting profiles didn't work
  • Fixed a bug where there were scrollbars showing on tooltips
  • Fixed a bug where drag and drop was not working on the first run of Cura
  • Fixed a bug where printing via USB stops during the print

For all improvements, bug fixes and known issues, check the release notes.

Or watch this video to learn more about Ultimaker Cura 5.0:

Download Ultimaker Cura 5.0 now 

Let us know what you think of this new engine and show us your results here in the comments below, you can report your bugs on GitHub!

• Like 3

I see that ultimaker now seems to prefer to print the outer wall before the inner walls for the ultimaker profiles (as in the beta). 
I am still experimenting with the change, but so far have had more failures in terms of print quality. 

The default for all printers is "Outside to Inside".  I went in and changed that to "Inside to Outside".  In particular - printing the outside wall first on an overhang just doesn't work well.

• Like 1

Good morning, just noticed Cura 5 is stable now that's great news tyvm!

I am using a Chromebook with Linux. Just noticed that I couldn't run Cura 5 due to 'GLIBC_2.29' not found. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Hi,

I can't start Cura due to the error message "api-ms-win-core-path-I1-1-0.dll missing", followed by "Error loading Python DLL '(path) python310.dll' LoadLibrary: module not found"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Enigma_M4 said:

Hi,

I can't start Cura due to the error message "api-ms-win-core-path-I1-1-0.dll missing", followed by "Error loading Python DLL '(path) python310.dll' LoadLibrary: module not found"

me too

• Like 1

Cura 5 is not longer compatible with Windows 7. From the releasenotes:

From version 5.0 onwards - Ultimaker Cura is only supported on operating systems actively maintained by their software manufacturer or community. This means Windows 7 and MacOS 10.14 will no longer be supported.
    Ubuntu 18.04 is also no longer supported because of the update to Qt6.

• Like 1

Hi, the windows 10 download/installer doesn't seem to include a "Cura.exe" in the Program Files. It does include a shortcut to "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0\Ultimaker-Cura.exe", but there is no such exe; attaching a photo of the executables in my Program Files.image.thumb.png.acaf12d6d41152e75874a01b77abbc7c.png

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0

Tried several versions of Cura today (including 5.0) and none of them would fully open before crashing.  Used to run flawlessly.

I do not know if it is related, but I looked at the apps installed (win11) by date and one of them was installed yesterday: "Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime".  There was an option to either update or reinstall (can't remember) and Cura runs fine now. (?)

Edited by cohocarl

10 hours ago, lacronx said:

It does include a shortcut to "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 5.0.0\Ultimaker-Cura.exe", but there is no such exe;

It may have gotten quarantined, as some virus checkers seem to detect a virus in that exe. As far as I know it is a false positive.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Enigma_M4 said:

Hi,

That's because we don't support windows 7 anymore. It's been EOL for 2 years now, so we had no other choice but drop support.

• Thanks 1

I just switched to Cura 5.0 from another slicing software, but i cant seem to get my files to save as .x3g   i was able to download the .x3g file converter in older versions of Cura, but its no longer in the marketplace.... is there a new way to do this ?   

Overall it looks like a great update, but let me nitpick something here:

Cura 4 was using macOS menus, like any good macOS application:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/744925511704248420/976466347313729576/unknown.png

Cura 5 does not, why?

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/744925511704248420/976466347582177280/unknown.png

Thanks!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, GregValiant said:

The default for all printers is "Outside to Inside".  I went in and changed that to "Inside to Outside".  In particular - printing the outside wall first on an overhang just doesn't work well.

how can i change such default settings?

i agree that this approach to fdm printing simply does not produce reliable results. The only good results I had were with PLA without using the second print core. 
    However, since the horizontal expansion is also adjusted in the new profiles, ultimaker seems to have implemented this new setting in an absolutely deliberate and planned way. here i have to ask myself under which test conditions these profiles were tested, as i think it only takes slightly more complex prints with two print cores and technical materials to show how inappropriate this printing sequence is. 

can i also adjust other default settings in the cura profiles? i actually use the default settings from time to time via the simplified print settings tab where i can quickly select layer height and infill. can i change the default settings here?

I would prefer this over making my own profiles which i had to enable from a drop-down-menu.

calibration shapes have been removed from my install and marketplace, bug ?

9 hours ago, ahoeben said:

It may have gotten quarantined, as some virus checkers seem to detect a virus in that exe. As far as I know it is a false positive.

This was exactly it, thank you! Bitdefender didn't even warn me.

@Gero

I went into my printer definition file and added an override.  You could also do it in fdmprinter.def.json but that is not advised.  This is from fdmprinter.def.json

"inset_direction":
                    {
                        "label": "Wall Ordering",
                        "description": "Determines the order in which walls are printed. Printing outer walls earlier helps with dimensional accuracy, as faults from inner walls cannot propagate to the outside. However printing them later allows them to stack better when overhangs are printed.",
                        "type": "enum",
                        "options": {
                            "inside_out": "Inside To Outside",
                            "outside_in": "Outside To Inside"
                        },
                        "default_value": "outside_in",

It could be changed there.  I have customized some of the Creality definition files for my own use and when I install a new release of Cura I always over-write the stock Cura files with my own.  I added a line to the creality_base.def.json file

"wall_thickness": {"value": "line_width * 2" },    -------The comma must be added and then
            "inset_direction": {"default_value": "inside_out"}

@2lo4dsno and @natekwilson the changes to the Cura dialog boxes and controls meant that virtually all of the plugins needed updating.  They are a work in progress.  As the authors get to them they are re-submitted for approval.

@ahoeben has been keeping a running list of his progress with his own plugins.  I haven't seen notifications about the others.  Maybe contacting the authors would provide a schedule for when they will be re-released.

9 hours ago, nallath said:

That's because we don't support windows 7 anymore. It's been EOL for 2 years now, so we had no other choice but drop support.

Thank you, @nallath, for the info. Although it's no good news, especially for participants of the Win7 extended lifetime program, it prevents me from wasting time trying to bugfix.

2 hours ago, natekwilson said:

calibration shapes have been removed from my install and marketplace, bug ?

No, not a bug. All the plugins need to be updated for the new version. I've reviewed the plugin and it still had some bugs. I expect it to be released soon 🙂

• Like 1

Loving the new slicer, have only faster printing time compared to previous version. Mainly unhappy about losing the custom support plug-in. Its one of my most used options for my new prints. Please update soon.

Hi.

New dark themes is [very bad], is it possible to make old 4'th theme include font?

I'm trying to myself change colors in theme.json but code is slice different, many settings from old one are not included in new one.

• Like 1

Hello, I LOVE the old Ultimaker 4 dark theme. Is there a way to have it as option or install it somehow?

It is way more legible and good looking.

Please

image.thumb.png.c1f30290685ee0796ef090b205848850.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PLAmenPRINT said:

Is there a way to have it as option or install it somehow?

No, a new theme would have to be made to "emulate" the old theme. Once someone makes that, it can be easily passed around.

What do you miss most about the old looks? The colors or the spacing?

50 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

No, a new theme would have to be made to "emulate" the old theme. Once someone makes that, it can be easily passed around.

What do you miss most about the old looks? The colors or the spacing?

Mostly the color soft contrast. The black and white one of the 5.0 is too much. 

• Like 1