First print Attempt 2.
I was unlucky with attempt #2. A loop of filament left the reel and went into the void between printer and reel, then as it got pulled tight it hooked up on that little "ear" of filament sticking out from the hub of the reel (see first photo). So the filament jammed and the printhead ran out of material.
I didn't take a picture of the jam as I was too worried about the print head overheating. In hindsight when I look at an Ultimaker reel I see the cleverness of their double-walled hub design - nothing sticking out to catch on anything. I've discussed this with Spectrum and they agree that their reel design needs to improve, and they expect that it will in due course.
Ultimaker Reels have a double walled hub design.
Another thing to note is that the Spectrum reel is deeper than an Ultimaker reel, so it would not be possible to get two Spectrum reels on the standard UM2 spool holder at the same time, which would be a problem if and when the UM2 Dual Extrusion Kit comes along, ditto PVA support.
After changing the material in the printer I kicked off a test print of a small DC motor mount that I've been working on. However I quickly aborted the print after noticing that some of the old blue filament was still coming out. Still, that left me with a thin disk of material that was interesting in its own right. I found that while a thin disk of pure PLA would snap if I bent it like this, the Spectrum filament doesn't break. In fact it didn't even make a visible seam until I had worried it a bit, though I did hear cracking noises. I feel safe in saying that this material does seem to be substantially tougher than pure PLA.
In hindsight any color other than black would have been better for photographic purposes, however I hope you can still see what's going on.
Link to post
Share on other sites