U2 Side fan wiring

mikey

Posted · U2 Side fan wiring

While taking apart the head assembly to check for clogs I broke the fan connectors off. I thought I took a photo of the wiring before I removed the cable but I guess I didn't. Here is how I soldered it back up.

Yellow(U2) to red(fan1/left), black(fan1/left) to red(fan2/right),black(fan2/right) to green(U2).

But it does not seem to be working. I sent an email to support requesting new fans and cables but I did not get any response yet. What is the correct way to wire the cables? If I had a multimeter I would have tested the setup but I don't

Please any help is appreciated I can't print well without the side fans

The fans are polarity sensitive... You might try reversing the yellow and green connectors.

Already tried that, sadly it did not work

Is it possible the fans are fried?

That wiring sounds correct. Especially after looking at this picture:

fanWires 2

To turn on the fans, select PRINT and choose anything to print then immediately go to TUNE menu and then adjust the fans to 100%. The printer will not print until you exit the TUNE menu. When done testing just kill the power.

If the fans still don't work I would look at the wiring underneath the printer - you only have to remove 2 screws to remove the (larger) botton cover.

That wiring sounds correct. Especially after looking at this picture:

To turn on the fans, select PRINT and choose anything to print then immediately go to TUNE menu and then adjust the fans to 100%. The printer will not print until you exit the TUNE menu. When done testing just kill the power.

If the fans still don't work I would look at the wiring underneath the printer - you only have to remove 2 screws to remove the (larger) botton cover.

Haha that photo where the thread is from is where I figured out the wiring. I already did that fan test so I'm gonna check out underneath the printer but seeing as it was functional right before I broke the connectors I somehow think its the fans that are dead

Yep no luck all the wires on the electronics board look fine. Is there another way I can contact support for some new fans and cable bundles?

support.ultimaker.com

However I recommend you get a multimeter - one of your connections is probably an open. Or borrow one from a neighbor. Ideally you would expect 24V across both fans when you do my test I described above. And 12V across each fan individually. If you have an open then you will see 24V across some gap somewhere.

So I contacted support and got replacement fans and a new set of cables but I still can't seem to get the fans to work. Is it possible the electronics for the fans have died?

Not surprising. You should really get a multimeter. Did you check the wiring underneath the UM2? Under the cover? Did you do the method of turning the fans on that I posted a few posts ago?

Not surprising. You should really get a multimeter. Did you check the wiring underneath the UM2? Under the cover? Did you do the method of turning the fans on that I posted a few posts ago?

Yes I had to run a whole new bundle of wires for the fans so I did look at the board. I only got a look at the back because even with it unscrewed the wires were mostly holding it in place. I can't see any damage on the back but the front might be another story. I did do the fan test. They just want work. I'm getting a multimeter today. Here is a crazy idea what if I went and swapped the led and fan pwm pins in the firmware. And just ran without leds. Would I be able to reuse that led pin until I can get a new board

I suspect the PCB is fine and it's something somewhere else but who knows. It could be simply a bad solder connection somewhere I suppose. Or a blown diode or transistor. I suspect wiring even though you say you replaced it.

Yes you can use the LED signal - the circuitry for the LEDs is identical to the fan. In both cases it puts out a pulsed 24V signal.

Check out the bottom left corner of page 8 of the pdf here which shows the schematic (click raw):

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/blob/master/1091_Main_board_v2.1.1_%28x1%29/Main%20Board%20V2.1.1.pdf

I suspect the PCB is fine and it's something somewhere else but who knows. It could be simply a bad solder connection somewhere I suppose. Or a blown diode or transistor. I suspect wiring even though you say you replaced it.

Yes you can use the LED signal - the circuitry for the LEDs is identical to the fan. In both cases it puts out a pulsed 24V signal.

Check out the bottom left corner of page 8 of the pdf here which shows the schematic (click raw):

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/blob/master/1091_Main_board_v2.1.1_%28x1%29/Main%20Board%20V2.1.1.pdf

So just as a quick test I swapped the pins and the fans are working with the cable so there must be something wrong with the board. Now I am currently trying to build the U2Marlin but am getting an error. Should I post here or start a new thread? I just can't seem to get it to compile.

http://imgur.com/iKCLaJf

http://imgur.com/XVpOCYB

To get it compiled with the Arduino... IDE? (Not sure what they want to call it but I'd go with POS myself...) you have to modify a file. From the comments of Marlin:

"Note: For compiling with Arduino you need to remove the "SIGNAL(TWI_vect)" function from "libraries/Wire/utility/twi.c""

I didn't find a "SIGNAL(TWI_vect)" but I did find "ISR(TWI_vect)" which I removed and it would then complete the compile.

To get away from their horrible software I tried getting it to work in Sublime Text but it wouldn't compile in there even with the above fix so I kinda gave up on my little project.

To get it compiled with the Arduino... IDE? (Not sure what they want to call it but I'd go with POS myself...) you have to modify a file. From the comments of Marlin:

"Note: For compiling with Arduino you need to remove the "SIGNAL(TWI_vect)" function from "libraries/Wire/utility/twi.c""

I didn't find a "SIGNAL(TWI_vect)" but I did find "ISR(TWI_vect)" which I removed and it would then complete the compile.

To get away from their horrible software I tried getting it to work in Sublime Text but it wouldn't compile in there even with the above fix so I kinda gave up on my little project.

I got it to compile on my mac with just make. after swapping the pins I finally have fans working. I can live without leds but what is odd is they are on very slightly. something is just broken with that pin ill look into getting it replaced, but im just happy im back up and running after far too long

So just as a quick test I swapped the pins and the fans are working with the cable

I don't understand. So at that point weren't you done? Why do you need to then use the LED circuitry?

I don't understand. So at that point weren't you done? Why do you need to then use the LED circuitry?

Well if I want to have control of the fans and how they ramp up I need to swap the functionality of the pins. It was a simple fix in the firmware.

Oh - now I get it. I thought you meant you swapped the polarity - swapped the two wires on the connector. But you mean you plugged the cable into the LED output instead. Now I understand. So there is nothing wrong with your wiring then.

I recommend you contact ultimaker and get a new board. You are working for now even though the lights are dim and you might be able to fix that yourself using the schematic and a volt meter, but why not just get a free replacement board? Contact them at "support.ultimaker.com" and request a new board and an explanation of your debugging that led to your conclusion.

Hi.

Have you got that fixed ?

We've just run into the same problem.

Last night both side fans stop spinning in the middle of the print.

Wiring, plugs and fans are 100% fine (tested with external power supply and multimeter) so it must be issue with PCB board itself.

Our UM2 is only 9 days old :(

We've just opened a ticket with Ultimaker support but I wonder what they have done for you to sort it out.

Had the same problem, the two fans suddenly stopped. Looked at the cables and connectors near the fans. The problem was in the connector underneath the printer going to the PCB. It was easily fixed but it is an assembly error from the manufacturer.

I've just received new PCB board (thanks to Ultimaker team).

Happy days :-P

UM2 PCB Board

I don't understand.  So at that point weren't you done?  Why do you need to then use the LED circuitry?

Well if I want to have control of the fans and how they ramp up I need to swap the functionality of the pins. It was a simple fix in the firmware.

Hi. Sorry to reopen the topic. I have exactly the same issue with my fans. They stop to work 2 days ago. I check the wiring and everything is ok. I suppose something blow on the mother board on the fan pin. I tryed with the les pin and the fans worked.

I am using thinkergnome firmware. How I can edit the .HEX and switch the fan pin with the led one ?

Thanks for your support

Wouldn't it be better to just install a new switching transistor on the board? It's a 0.13 euro part and anyone familiar with a soldering iron can replace it in 60 seconds.

Just saying.

Thanks for your quick answer!

I don't know which component is it on the board? And moreover the components are so small. I am not sure you can unsoldered it without damaging the board. Also do you know the reference of the switching transistor ?

For most SMD components with pins coming out sideways from the package, I'd always recommend cutting them with a scalpel rather than trying to desolder the entire part. Cut it out, then desoldering the individual pins is easy as can be.

And yes, you'd need a relatively fine tipped soldering iron to work on the board, this is true.

The switching transistor is designated T1, part number BC817, available here.

Component location is:T1.thumb.png.bf213c3ee1608187b15c20e88fe063ae.png

T1.thumb.png.bf213c3ee1608187b15c20e88fe063ae.png

On a side note regarding sourcing of the part (shipping/administration costs and such), it's probably safe to say that due to the Mark 2 project I'm pretty damn well stocked on BC817's. If you want, I can throw a few in a letter and mail them to you.