Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
IRobertI

Post your latest print!

Well here's the little dog, I also did the bib pup, but am trying to do timpelapse patina on him, the naked lady is gonna have to wait....but the wait will be worth it!

went a bit crazy with the lighting here!!! lolz

IMG_8183.JPG

IMG_8190.JPG

IMG_8187.JPG

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, cloakfiend said:

Well here's the little dog, I also did the bib pup, but am trying to do timpelapse patina on him, the naked lady is gonna have to wait....but the wait will be worth it!

went a bit crazy with the lighting here!!! lolz

IMG_8183.JPG

IMG_8190.JPG

IMG_8187.JPG

Crazy or not, the light works really well for this nice model, I think.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cloakfiend said:

Heres the big pup, my camera lens is stained (the black dots) phone pics. Came out coarse. My new copper source is contaminated i think. Oh well nicer picture to come.

20181211_124937.jpg

Just out of curiosity, can you re-coat them in a new metal bath?

Yes this is common and essential with some metals as they dont plate to certain things. If i wanted this in gold i would need to plate it in nickel and then finally gold or silver. Platinum is also different. You can also do chrome, which ive not tried yet. Its more tricky i think. Copper is easyish.

Flash plating is the process of a quick initial ultrathin base plate. Before other plates. Mine are much thicker. More scratch resistent.

It gets a lot more expensive though as you start needing more and more space and baths and the time between pates needs to be almost instantaneous. You start needing a proper setup. And contamination gets expensive if you dont know your chemistry. Im happy with copper. Im gonna focus more on modelling before worrying about what i print them in. I want to try hard gloss next.

the purity of the cathodes and anodes is also very important as well as many other things...that could go wrong.

Edited by cloakfiend

So, after a week or so learning the ins and outs of the S5, I finally pulled the trigger (pressed the button) on my first 24 hour print. 

It's intended to be a Christmas lamp, and will soon be filled with lights/a bulb. I'll post another pic when it's finnished

Modelled in siemens NX and printed at 0.2 with Inofil pro1 white fillament. (tough PLA) 

DSC_0532.JPG

• Like 4

Im a bit dissapointed, but kinda expected it. My endless battles with supports, next time i guess ill just have to make my own. They are simply not optimized for my kind of workflow. They are useless for fingers, even big ones!....I need to remember that. A 2 day print off to a lame start, but at least ill be able to print a new hand on the um2 in the meantime! Im just gonna let it run and see what happens. By far my largest print vertically.

20181213_091115.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Some of those look a little like the ones I designed. Great minds and all that stuff.

Very nice indeed. :)

Actually thy were all my design, aside from the solid ones either side of the big one which is "Christmas Tree Spiral Ornament" by Mistertech on thingiverse.

Im working on a star at the moment for the top of the tree. Do you guys print christmas decorations?

1 hour ago, ScanHD said:

Actually thy were all my design,

I know. That is why I said 'great minds.' :)

I just found it funny because I had a couple I did that looked a bit like a couple of yours. Not implying anything negative. 👍

13 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I know. That is why I said 'great minds.' :)

I just found it funny because I had a couple I did that looked a bit like a couple of yours. Not implying anything negative. 👍

id love to see them!

Kman was a busy man...he did hundreds of them from what ive seen so i guess it should be be no surprise that some look very similar. But they are a classic shape so its bound to be the case. Im buying my christmas tree today so when my armless lady finishes printing im going to have a go at some of the ones that dont need support and plate them so they are nice and shiny to hang on the tree!!!

Well heres my armless statue...  

Printed well untill.....support disaster. no closeups due to poor layer quality after this, just too much wobbling or something. Also 193 is too cool i started getting under extrusion later on which made matters worse! Ive already done a lot of remodelling and will reprint later. Im also going to clean the main screw a bit seeing as it could well be adding to the uneven layers later on.....learning.

20181215_112634.jpg

20181215_112734.jpg

20181215_140323.jpg

• Like 3

Yes so am I! even the base looked like it warped, not sure what to do about it?

Im thinking that this is unavoidable if hollow...?

But hey at least it doesn't fall over! yay lol.

I shouldn't really complain, I rushed and didn't optimize conditions, we'll see how my next few prints look.

20181215_152351.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend

I gave everything a clean and the arm came out ok. Apart from the fact that i just noticed the fingers are way too short!! Oh well ill just do a new one and chop this one off. The other blob is the bottom of the hair which also failed.

I think i know the culprits behind the layers but have a few more tests to be sure!!

195 bed 55

20181216_025535.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend
  • Like 1