Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
schafe

How to update UM2 firmware

Okay - one step at a time then...

Turn sound up on PC. Open device manager - google it if you can't find it through control panel - it's a few levels deep.

Plug in the USB and the PC should make a sound "ba-dump" with pitch going up when you plug it in, and second pitch going down when you disconnect. If you don't hear anything, try other USB ports? You must hear the "ba-dump" sound.

Then look at device manager. There may be quite a delay - it might say search for drivers somewhere. Eventually it should like the good screen shot in this post:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4011-um2-help-needed/?p=32230

If you get this far and know the COM number, this is huge progress. If not you might need to install ardunio drivers. The are automatically installed (normally) when you install Cura but you can get them from arduino directly also.

Now you have the com port. You can now go back to Cura and see if it will connect by manually entering the com port in the machine settings. If still no luck, get prontrface:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

Try connecting with that. The most common baud rates are 110000 and 250000 I believe. Try every baud rate until it connects. When pronterface succesfully connects it will pull back the version of Marlin and all kinds of other data. If it never connects you could then maybe download the arduino IDE and connect that way and install through arduino IDE.

Sorry Daid. Same result with the new version. The printer power cycles and after a few seconds the same error message appears. It did install a new driver.

I read and reread gr5's instructions. I finally used the serial port and baud rate in Cura that I used to get Pronterface to connect. Success. I'm pretty sure it was COM11 @ 115200.

Why does everything have to be so hard??

Why does everything have to be so hard??

No idea, the update-firmware used to work flawlessly for years for a lot of people. But on the UM2 it's giving occasional problens on some machines. I haven't found out the cause yet.