How to update UM2 firmware

schafe

Posted · How to update UM2 firmware

In cura: Machine -> Install default firmware

I've found that it fails sometimes. What I do then is to just unplug and re-plug the cable and try again. One time it took 4 tries before it completed successfully.

Tried and tried several different ways. Always got the same error message: "Failed to write firmware. 'Timeout'"

Ideas?? I am using a PC that is 7 or 8 years old with Vista.

Okay - one step at a time then...

Turn sound up on PC. Open device manager - google it if you can't find it through control panel - it's a few levels deep.

Plug in the USB and the PC should make a sound "ba-dump" with pitch going up when you plug it in, and second pitch going down when you disconnect. If you don't hear anything, try other USB ports? You must hear the "ba-dump" sound.

Then look at device manager. There may be quite a delay - it might say search for drivers somewhere. Eventually it should like the good screen shot in this post:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4011-um2-help-needed/?p=32230

If you get this far and know the COM number, this is huge progress. If not you might need to install ardunio drivers. The are automatically installed (normally) when you install Cura but you can get them from arduino directly also.

Now you have the com port. You can now go back to Cura and see if it will connect by manually entering the com port in the machine settings. If still no luck, get prontrface:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

Try connecting with that. The most common baud rates are 110000 and 250000 I believe. Try every baud rate until it connects. When pronterface succesfully connects it will pull back the version of Marlin and all kinds of other data. If it never connects you could then maybe download the arduino IDE and connect that way and install through arduino IDE.

Note the drivers in Cura 14.03 might fail to install, the 14.03-TEST2 version contain newer drivers:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

Sorry Daid. Same result with the new version. The printer power cycles and after a few seconds the same error message appears. It did install a new driver.

I read and reread gr5's instructions. I finally used the serial port and baud rate in Cura that I used to get Pronterface to connect. Success. I'm pretty sure it was COM11 @ 115200.

Why does everything have to be so hard??

Why does everything have to be so hard??

No idea, the update-firmware used to work flawlessly for years for a lot of people. But on the UM2 it's giving occasional problens on some machines. I haven't found out the cause yet.

I also had a lot of Timout Errors by trying to update the firmware.

But chanching the Port from Auto to COM6 did the job.

now i can sleep well :mrgreen:

thanx for your comment it fixed my problem as well uploading custom firmware

yours,

Jesse

Hello,

While I was updating my UM2 FW suddenly my Laptop crashed 😞

When I then wanted to update the FW again, I noticed that the ultimaker doesnt work, the display shows noting, the board is blinking and the LEDs ar lighting a little... and the worst: I cannot connet it with my Laptop (also tried it with my PC and with diffrent cables and with pronterface)

So do you have any suggestions???       (a reset knob on the board  is misssing xD )

Best regards,

Tom

Please see my 4th post above.  Does the COM port show up as described?  which com port is it?

What baud rate and port did you use in pronterface?

so that is the problem... no ba-dum sound and no device is recodnized.

So you get the "ba-dum" when you plug in your keyboard and/or mouse but not the UM2?

Check power.  Check power cable. I've seen it where the power cable feels like it's in, but it's not.

I can't imagine how you broke the PCB but it kind of sounds like that may have happened.  I've never heard of anyone breaking it when they connected a USB cable but I suppose it's possible.  You can order one from your reseller.

Oh - and another thing - you need the arduino USB driver installed.  Maybe you only have that installed on one computer?  It gets installed automatically when you install any version of Cura.

Oh right - you get the "ba-dum" even if there is no driver.  Hmm.

I already checked: on both computers are the latest drivers.

I also checked the the power cable and measured, everything allright.

Well it sounds like you somehow destroyed the arduino chip on your PCB.  This seems so unlikely from your description but it's the explanation that makes the most sense right now.

You can get crappy (in that it's more work - you have to buy separate servo drivers and tweak their current without damaging them) but cheap UM2 boards from China or you can get the real thing from igo3d.com in Germany.

I'm not certain but I think you can completely remove the white PCB and hook it up only through the USB and it should still power the arduino and also program it.  I know someone who had a UMO was able to remove the arduino (it's socketed) and program it and put it back onto the printer and got it working again.  I'm not sure this works with the UM2 but probably it does.

If you own any arduinos ($5 on ebay) you can plug one into your computer and usb cable and program it up using the arduino IDE or you could get an arduino mega2560 (probably more like $20 on ebay) and try to load the UM2 firmware onto it (won't hurt anything).  This will verify that the software/drivers/computer/cable are all working and it's something with your UM2.

Hi there,

Just had a look into the wiring of the PCB (old type UM2). Between the USB port and the U2) Atmel Mega 16U2 (USB controller) there is a small fuse T1, if this fuse fail (go open) you would not be able to connect. However, this fuse (T050) is a "self resetting" fuse that should reset itself after opening. Might be checked.. 

The 5 V DC from the USB is not connected for power up the processors according to this wiring.

As the UM2 use Atmel Mega 16U2 and Mega 2560 you might find this site useful:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2

Not very much, but may help.

Thanks

Torgeir

• Like 1

Hi

Well, since you do not have any contact with you main pcb using usb, I'll think the Atmel Mega 16U2 is the one to work out first.

There is a special reset point on the pcb just to reset this microprocessor and this is jumper named JP2. There is a little problem here because there is not soldered in pins at this point, there is just two solder points. By shorting this two points, the microprocessor go into DFU mode (direct firmware upload). By fixing this, you should be able to reload (DFU) the firmware to "Mega 2560" for your printer. But ofc. that is true if all the hardware still works.

This reset might be a risky thing to do if you do not have any experience with this.

Here's a little picture of the pcb with fuse T1 and JP2 marked with yellow.

USB_Mega_16U2.thumb.jpg.7dffd80e72622129ce478bed7d31b7aa.jpg

Well, that's a little more about this issue.

Good luck

Torgeir.

• Like 1

Hello,

I could fix my problem by resetting the printer. Thanks a lot!

but right now the printer works and connects with my Laptop but cura doesnt recodnize it...

When I connect it with Pronterface It shows something like "incorrect baudrate" (i also tried it with some baud`  s)

Sooooooo.... do you have any suggestion?

best regards,

Simon

Posted (edited) · How to update UM2 firmware

Hi Simon,

As an UM2 is based on Arduino, just install it and you will have the correct driver for UM2.

You'll find it here:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/main/software

(Read about setting baud rate and more with the Arduino software.)

The default baud rate is 115200 baud.

Thanks

Torgeir

Edited by Torgeir
    Addet text