Ultimaker 2 or Replicator 2X

Posted · Ultimaker 2 or Replicator 2X

Hi, I need help from someone who knows something about 3d printing:

First I have a Qu-bd Two-up but i'm already planning to buy another printer and I hesitate alot on which one to take between the Ultimaker 2 and the Replicator 2X (I live in Canada)

Ultimaker advantages:

- 3 times faster (300 mm/s vs 90mm/s)

- more precision (20 microns vs 100 microns)

- more possibilities of material

(3415,50$ CAD including taxes and shipping)

Replicator 2X advantages:

- Fiability

- There is a store near where I live that I can buy it there and ask for assistance

- same filament use (1.75mm) than my Two-up

- 150$ less

(3277,50$ CAD including taxes)

I would like to know your thoughts and if someone has an advice for me it would be nice.

You're asking Ultimaker users if you should pick an Ultimaker or a Replicator... Of course the answer will be Ultimaker.

That speed thing is misleading though, no one prints at 300mm/s, that's just silly.

As Robert mentioned, most of us here are going to be partial to the Ultimaker machines. Either is going to be a world of difference from the QU-BD machines (I own an Revolution XL as well).

Lots of people consider this forum to be a huge advantage for Ultimaker - I'd like to think we provide a good resource for new and experienced users alike to get advice and fix issues. The Ultimaker is also open source, if that matters to you, and the firmware (Marlin) and slicing software (Cura) are both being very actively and transparently developed.

Ultimaker doesn't have local support in Canada or, indeed, North America at all, at the moment. So that might be one advantage of the Makerbot in terms of the local support available to you. Currently, other than this forum, you will be dealing with the folks back in the Netherlands if you need spares etc. However, there have been rumors for a long time now that UM is looking to improve this situation and improve their capabilities on this side of the Atlantic, so I'm hopeful that there will be some movement on this before too long.

I agree with Robert, you are:

- NOT going to be printing 300 mm/s (more like 100, .. maybe)

- NOT going to be printing at 20 microns (anything below 60 is in my opinion outright silly, though I do not own an UM2)

An advatage of the replicator/disadvantage of the UM2 that you have not mentioned is the current horrible lead times of the UM2... (For Canada I would easily expect 2 months before delivery, unless you buy from some local reseller that already has stock)

Another thing to consider is that you can get China knockoffs of the Replicator for 1/3 the price...

Print speed in mm/s is a misnomer, as actual "print speed" (ie amount of printing over time) is as much dependent on acceleration settings as velocity settings. This is where the UM is faster than a Rep 2, since the UM has a much lighter printhead and can handle higher accelerations.

Where i work we have 2xUM2, 1 UM Original, 1xRep 2 and 1xMakerbot Gen 5.

The UM2 is the best in terms for general printing and the heated bed is a god send.

the UM original still has the best quality prints on small items IMO.

The Makerbots don't even come close...........

Hello fellow Canadian!

The choice is obvious, if you're asking on the ultimaker forum, you're wanting to get the UM. :p

But you need only to refer to here for print samples from the UM community.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/467-post-your-latest-print/page-78

I would argue that the support you would get from this forum would be faster and more indepth than assistance you would get from any retail store. As long as you have a camera.

I get my filament from these guys in Canada:

http://www.voxelfactory.com/%20%20/%20KG

if you want more info:

Here's my first impressions + 6 mo review of the UM1

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2128-new-ultimaker-kit-review-first-samples/

Ultimaker advantage:

- More software options&features

And is it possible to use 1.75mm filament with the Ultimaker, because having to use 1.75mm + 2.85mm filament at the same time (two different printers) would be quite an Issue or it's something that is worth just to have the UM2?

It also depends on what you want to use the printer for and how much you want to spend.

If you want to save money, consider buying the UM Classic which also has a great resolution. Or a Chinese Replicator clone that go for 800 euros on ebay and still have similar quality like R X2. Buying UM also means buying new filaments.

For high detail models, go for UM2 or even UM C.

For dual extrusion, go for UM C or R X2.

For printing ABS, go for UM2 or R X2 (or UM C with custom bed).

UM2 and R X2 use different slicer software and generate different gcode files. Not sure what the Qu-bd uses, but I would go for a printer that uses the same software. On the other hand, Cura is very easy to use.

So lots of things to consider.

Personnaly , I really want a fully assembled and ready to use printer , a very reliable one , that has a build volume of minimum 200x200x200 . Dual extrusion is an advantage but it's not really what i'm aiming for with 3d printing for the moment.

So what I really want to know is that : Is it worth to go for the Ultimaker 2 if we take in consideration that it has to be shipped from Europe = more difficult for support and 2 months longer lead time AND for the fact of having to buy separate filament for both of my printers?

Where are you? Canada? Well it takes about 3 days to ship a UM2 from Netherlands to USA so I don't think the distance is relevant considering the long lead time before they ship it.

I've had UM ship small parts to me and those also only take 3 days. So I'm not sure the distance is a consideration.

So what I really want to know is that : Is it worth to go for the Ultimaker 2 if we take in consideration that it has to be shipped from Europe = more difficult for support and 2 months longer lead time AND for the fact of having to buy separate filament for both of my printers?

(The lead time might actually be less then what's communicated right now, but do not take my word for it. As I'm not in the position to communicate lead-times)

And for the filament issue. That's something only you can answer. Is it a problem for you to keep 2 different types of filament? (or 4 if you want both PLA and ABS, or 6 if you want Nylon with that. Oh, and wood fill... and colors...)

You could also get a Builder from http://3dprinter4u.nl/ they are good people, nice product, and it's 1.75mm, and also Dutch :smile:

I'm thinking about getting an UM2. How reliable are these printers with regards to clogging or other issues?

I'm good with engineering, so that does not frighten me. I just don't want a constant project to fix a printer, no matter what brand, every time I have to make a print.

The above post was also basically made here so please answer in the following thread:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/5494-thinking-of-getting-ultimaker-2-question/