Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
fingerpuk

6 inch cube - 79 hour print!

Hello.

I am going to be test printing a wild bee house, it's a 6 inch cube with holes in it. I jut want to print fast and ugly for now to test the size and design. The low quality setting in Cura is telling me 79 hours, which cannot be right! In expert settings I'm on 0.2 layer height, 50mm second, 5% infill, 1.2 mm wall thickness. It goes to 89 hours!

Help. :)

It is a huge cube. I once printed a model that size, but totally hollow, no infill only 2 perimeters (.8mm walls) and 80mm print speed and it took 24 hours.

So with infill, those very thick walls (1.2mm), and 50mm is kind of a slow print speed for an UM. Yes, it is probably

spot on. You could speed it up slightly by reducing the wall thickness to .8mm. Increase print speed, increase infill speed higher. You could try pushing the layer height to upper .2's or low .3's with possibly a higher than usual temp to compensate for the larger amount of plastic.

Forcing the printer to run faster is tricky, and can result in a half print. Just so you know.

Larger prints like this need a larger nozzle size so you can do a much larger layer height.

It is huge indeed. Just imagine in your head how much the print head has to move on every single layer of that print (all 810 of them). Just take the rings in the center for example, that's 64 retractions on those alone. Say it takes a second to do a retraction (I've never timed it so I have no idea how long it actually takes), that's an extra (64*810)/60/60 = 14+ hours on retractions alone. It adds up quick.

Please post pic but if you can print 10mm^3/sec (some can't) then you can do .2mm layer, 230C, 120mm/sec, no retraction .8mm walls. I can't imagine that would take more than 10 hours. Post picture please (in cad or in cura).

I decided to be a bit more clever and spit the model. As this is only for a very alpha design test I don't need a solid part. I'll print many fronts and a single back, with a sliding join. First front is coming out out, 7 hours. Printing at 0.2, 60mm sec at 220.