Print PLA/ABS without heated bed

chrisp

Posted · Print PLA/ABS without heated bed

I always have trouble getting the PLA to stick unless there's enough heat.

I just recently received a generous gift from the guys over at http://www.PRINTinZ.com.

It's a fibrous build plate that fits in place of the glass plate perfectly.(Even better than the glass which is lighter and flexible)

Here is a pic of what it looks like installed on my UM2.

20140515 171918

I printed this quick test design:

Black PLA

Layer Height 0.1

Shell thickness 0.4

Bottom/Top Thickness 0.4

Infill 0%

Speed 30mm/s

Hot-end temp 200C

Buildplate Temp OFF

Fans 50%

The tubes are 4mm diameter.

20140515 214712

20140515 222127

The surface is better than blue tape and it comes out incredibly smooth.

This is definitely the ideal build plate to use for support structures that are thin/small.

No long wait for the build plate to heat up. The printing starts super quick.

Cool. Very interesting surface.

You can also use blue tape on top of glass and clean the wax off the blue tape with isopropyl alcohol.

But if you try printing large ABS parts I think you are going to want that glass bed back.

Seems like PEI?

+1

I've been using a PEI plate myself for a few days now. It's really nice stuff :D

Needs a heated bed of course. But no more gluestick, tape or annoying stuff like that :)

Cool. Very interesting surface.

You can also use blue tape on top of glass and clean the wax off the blue tape with isopropyl alcohol.

But if you try printing large ABS parts I think you are going to want that glass bed back.

Supposedly you can print ABS without a heated bed on this plate as long as it's not a large print. I have not used ABS with my new machine yet, as I would like to keep my teflon coupler from deformation. However, I would suggest closing the front of the machine to lock the heat in so the print does not crack.

I will be ordering a couple more of these plates for my Tantillus build.

On a second note, I did try my first print using a heated bed with this new plate installed and the print stuck so tight that I had to literally pry it off the surface. No damage was done to the plate.

Seems like PEI?

Nick,

I haven't used that specific type of plate, but it looks very similar.

+1

I've been using a PEI plate myself for a few days now. It's really nice stuff :D

Needs a heated bed of course. But no more gluestick, tape or annoying stuff like that :)

I guess these are made with different materials, no heat needed at all on the bed.

*On the website it's clear as to the limitations of this plate*

Hi Guys, I just bought one of those two weeks ago and, oh boy PLA really does stick to it! The surface is not smooth like glass, but it's pretty flat nonetheless. Would be nice if they provided one side with a sanded smooth finish. I use it a lot now and no more curling on corners. As Chrisp mentioned, it's very fast to start printing, no heating required. And none of the blue tape hassles.

They have the UM2 form factor in stock now for those interested.

Cheers!

Try putting the buildplate in the freezer for a while, and that will probably allow the part to come right off - at least it works for PLA with gluestick on glass.

Hi Guys, I just bought one of those two weeks ago and, oh boy PLA really does stick to it! The surface is not smooth like glass, but it's pretty flat nonetheless. Would be nice if they provided one side with a sanded smooth finish. I use it a lot now and no more curling on corners. As Chrisp mentioned, it's very fast to start printing, no heating required. And none of the blue tape hassles.

They have the UM2 form factor in stock now for those interested.

gr5 edit: fixed above so it is quoted.

Hi and thanks for trying the PRINTinZ plate. You can sand the plate if you like. Use a block to keep it even and start with about a 220 grit paper. Then go finer. The adhesion is just as good when sanded smooth. We are working on a smoother outer surface and it should be available in the fall. We're happy to sand one side for you if anyone wants it that way.

Wayne

PRINTinZ

Hi Wayne,

are the print plates available in Europe too?

If not: How much the shipping cost will be to Germany?

Got one of these plates recently (Netherland) and payed $85,- (€63,18). So with the plate being $65,- the shipping cost are $20,-.

Btw: really happy with it it sticks really well, only pity is that is slightly lower than the original glas plate so you need something extra under the clips to hold the plate securely in place. I'm using US cents for that ;-)

Small question: why would you replace the heated glass on an UM2 with this?

Not just because it's easier to get the prints off?

If I let it cool down they're just coming off without resistance.

On just glas prints don't stick very well and I get a lots prints that warp, and I don't like to mess around with glue sticks or other messy solutions that have to be applied over and over.

On this plate I have good results even with the heated printbed turned off and on 40 degrees my most warping print stuck to the bed perfectly.

Edit: and with no or low heat printing starts a lot faster ;-)

Still loving this plate and all of its glory. I haven't used the glass plate since this one arrived.

Just for the record, glue stick usually only needs to be reapplied every dozen or two dozen prints.

IC. Haven't had much warping so far. Then again, I only have PLA.

Would love some ABS as I have a couple pieces to print that have to be more temperature resistent but we don't have enough airflow in the room where the printer is now and I don't want the house smelling like burnt plastic :)

Small question: why would you replace the heated glass on an UM2 with this?

I also have warping on some type of prints, things that have right angle corners being the worst. Whatever I do with the heated glass, randomly one of the corners will warp even just so sightly and ruin the part. With this plate, never had a single warp. :smile: