Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
Blizz

Taulman3D new filaments

Interesting materials for sure but I sure wish they'd offer coloured filaments as well. Personally I really dislike the look of clear filament when printed, it looks really messy.

Still though, very cool to see these new high durability filaments starting to appear in more variations.

I hope they are successful and I like their filaments, but I agree about the colors. Taulman seems to have this strange obsession with optical clarity, when what generally makes parts look professional and finished is a clean, opaque color. Maybe someday there will be big applications for optically clear FDM materials, but right now I think they are way overserving that niche.

Are they patenting any of this stuff? (Maybe they are just trying to lock down as much IP as they can before some of the bigger companies get to it...?)

I remember reading about someone doing that a long time ago so I can't quite remember, but they used something like fabric dye, right? It's an interesting alternative but it's a bit of a messy step to add IMHO. On the other hand you can experiment more freely and get whatever colour you desire potentially. Still though, I wish they'd release at least a nice opaque black version as well.

Oh and the spools... those need to updated to match the kinda-sorta-but-not-really-standard that is starting to develop.

i really like this kind of new material.... BUT if we want colours.... has anyone designed a little color cartridge that can be filled with ink and filament can be fed through it... maybe a simple unit based above the top of the feeder on the ultimaker 2...... i know guys have played with markers on filament with interesting results... but something a little... STEP UP.. ?

Ian :-)

You can get black PA6 nylon here. I've printed with the White version (quite a few parts) if you have any questions. It's pretty easy to print on the UM2 but you need to print quite hot (260C):

http://fbrc8.com/products/pa6-nylon-filament

It's more flexible than PLA but stiffer than for example taulman bridge (haven't tried other taulman products).

At first, I thought it looked like a great deal, but after reading the details I could not figure out what I would use the new filaments for.

I am confused as to why they select to develop so many new filaments with such similar specifications.

The product range in the kickstarter project somehow does not fit either as engineering plastics or as plastics for printing art.

I completely agree that Taulman should sell colored filaments.

That kind of semi-transparent look of nylon is really not that appealing. Although color is theoretically unimportant for functionality, I feel it would be hard to sell printed nylon components looking like that, even if the material would be superior.

3D Prima has nylon available filaments in several colors by the way: http://www.3dprima.com/en/filaments-for-3d-printers/nylon-filament-3mm/

The only filament in the kickstarter project that would have been interesting for me was the tritan, because of it's high Tc and strength. It is a bit odd though that they go for a material which needs 270-280C when most people are sitting with teflon-insulated printers.

Something with slightly lower Tc and strength printable at 260C would have been extremely interesting I think!

:)

Hey, I'm just saying... The Japanese companies usually know what they're doing, and with a big chemical company like Mitsubishi getting behind a filament, it can only be good. Sparking competition between other large chemical companies, driving prices down, increasing quality etc...

The marketing could use some work though :p