Which 3D Design application do you use?

Posted · Which 3D Design application do you use?

MOI 3D, It's OK and relatively cheap ($300US), better for organic models. Otherwise, the free version of DesignSpark Mechanical. On the plus side, it's free and is good for more mechanical designs. However, it is missing some things like loft/blend, you need to use a hack to edit STEP files and it will sometimes refuse to do things like make or remove rounds/bevels....

http://moi3d.com/

http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/page/mechanical

Anyone use 123D Design???

Im new to 3D modelling and am tempted with the above??

I have tried 123D Design and found it very limited.

Autodesk also has Fusion 360 (for which we qualifiy for Free use). Fusion is a very capable modeling program.

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/pricing

I have also used Creo Elements Direct/Express. This is also quite capable, but quite unlike other CAD programs, so it has a high learning curve.

I don't like the way I have to be online to use Fusion though, although it looks like a good package, I will only ever use it at home and don't want all the cloud features.....

I use openscad for more technical drawings. For the organical stuff I do like meshmixer a lot. I try to use it at least once every week, by taking small steps everytime I discover new possibilities. I find openscad the easiest/quickest to learn if you have a programming background. By-the-way. On meshmixer a series of 101 manuals are on youtube, these will take you further into the basics.

Using Autodesk 123D Beta, but you have to search for an old version. The newer ones are to limited.

But you have to be logged in to write stl's. Normal drawings can be saved off-line.

I use Rhino5 for more complex shapes.

I used 123D but it´s very limited and you have to do a lot of work arounds to do some normal operations like additional work planes. It´s only possible to save files in the proprietary 123d file format or .stl. You cannot open STEP, IGES or other standard file formats.

I am useing Moi3D now, which is awesome. The 300 bucks are well invested. It´s the most intuitive CAD program I have used so far. I prefer it to even more "professional" and much more expensive CAD programs. You can download a 30 days test version, which has the same functionality like the full version. It runs very smooth even on older systems. Totally love it.

As I mentioned, I too use Moi3D. It is pretty easy to use. My only issue is that specifying dimensions during operations seem to be lower priority than "point and click". I think this is do to the focus on creative/organic modeling and not mechanical modeling. However, it can be done and it does support the functionality required for 3D CAD.

That´s true, Anon. It´s different from "normal" CAD programs which are optimized for mechanical modeling. I don´t know how Zbrush or other programs which 3D artist use for modeling of their characters, work. But Moi seems to be sth. inbetween. You can do mechanical modeling, but you can also add points and handles and use free form operations which are not common for mechanical modeling tools.

If you have time to learn and you like 3d, use blender.

It ist as powerfull as Maya or 3Dsmax.

I use it for 1 Jear now and i like it very much.

There are so so so many tutorials for blender.

It is also good for the beginning because it is free.

In some days you are able to make good models in blender to print.

mfg. Multan

If you have time to learn and you like 3d, use blender.

It ist as powerfull as Maya or 3Dsmax.

I use it for 1 Jear now and i like it very much.

There are so so so many tutorials for blender.

It is also good for the beginning because it is free.

In some days you are able to make good models in blender to print.

mfg. Multan

Can this be used on MAC?

*looks at the blender app on his other monitor*

It sure can :)

I use http://www.tinkercad.com online modeling for beginners. No need for software on your computer. I was stunned how it was possible for me to design objects in no time. Even objects with nuts and bolts. Follow a view Youtube tutorials and you will see how easy it is. Check https://tinkercad.com/users/gPLUGE4r60J-leon-knook and https://www.thingiverse.com/LeonKnook/designs

Rhino! Student edition.. only £200. Worth every penny. Quite easy to learn also.... Well I've learned it from having no previous cad knowledge :)

Rhino for Mac! FREE, use it as a beta tester, until it is finished. But I use it for 5 years now…. and for a beginner everything works.

Only thing: no plug-ins yet

solidworks here. thats what we have at work. It was up to me to choose and that is what I was accustomed to working with. very easy to use with a lot of options. I'd like to get a bit better at surfacing but dont have to use it much at work. I've modelled up some carved top guitars that look pretty good though. built 3 of them now.

Cinema 4D.

Has a lot of interesting modules in it's "larger" incarnations. Support parametric and polygonal design, sculpting, many generators, can turn textures into geometry and and and.

Hi you may try FreeCAD!

I started my first 3D modelling for 3D printing with FreeCAD, which is GUI driven CAD software.

http://www.freecadweb.org/

You will find Tutorials on Youtube.

I found only problems in DXF export, when using for CNC milling. But for 3D printer modells a good tool in my eyes.

BR

Freecad has a remarkable set of tools. However, it's not very stable and rather slow (v0.13). And I read about issues people were having with Cura when Freecad 0.14 was installed.

I use good ol' SolidWorks.

Another vote for OpenSCAD here. I tried Designspark Mechnical and it just didn't... er, spark. SketchUp on the other hand I have found to be a joy to use for woodworking plans - but not for 3D printing as it doesn't make true solid models. I'm not working with others, so the ability to import STEP etc is not a major consideration for me.

I would love to give Solidworks a go, but the price is insane.

I use rhino with grasshopper and Tsplines plug ins. I am considering to dive into solidworks, however I don't really know what features solidworks offers over rhino.

I use solidworks because work is paying for it. I wouldn't pay that much for the software if it was for just me. it is fortunately on a laptop so I can take it home and work on other stuff on the side

I use SimClaim. It has both CAD and simulation capability. Also one can open any geometry created in most popular CAD packages. Check it out...