Power supply for Ultimaker 1

Posted · Power supply for Ultimaker 1

Hi all,

After many prints on my Ultimaker, the 19V power supply finally packed in.

Looking around the house I found a couple of 20V Laptop chargers (135W / 200W) and they both have the same plug type.

Is it safe to use a 20V power supply? (the watts should be fine since it should only pull what it needs)

Also, does anyone have any idea why the display on the ulticontroller looks cloudy and a bit dull when using the original power supply (before it broke when new) but perfectly clear and bright when plugging in the USB instead?

Cheers

You should be just fine with 20V, the board actually says something like 16-20V DC (next to the plug)

Just make sure that your electronics cooling works properly, and maybe check the temperature of components a few minutes into a print, just to be sure...

I think the critical part is your 12V regulator (black component with 3 legs and a small heatsink attached, marked IC1 on your board)

Thanks for your help, I'll give it and try and keep an eye on the temps.

Good point you have about the regulator, I didn't think about that so I'll check the specs in case it's a linear regulator (which normally like less of a difference between the input and output voltage).

I made a video that may help you with this. I wanted to be able to convert the Original Ultimaker to run off a single 24 volt power supply and run all the electronics including a heated bed. Check it out!

Thanks, really nice vid! I've never been fond of linear regulators so this sounds like a great idea.

I think the electronics board is one of the few things i've not yet upgraded (was a bit nervous).

Have you had any problems since the upgrade? I was wondering if the motors caused any problems after adjusting the pots or all was ok.

Cheers!

Great video!! Thank you for preparing this info this way. Very helpfull for the community :-)

I made a video that may help you with this. I wanted to be able to convert the Original Ultimaker to run off a single 24 volt power supply and run all the electronics including a heated bed. Check it out!

Hi,

So the only thing I need to do is solder the new regulator?

Nothing else? Fans, motors and other components get the same voltage as before?

Thanks for the video!

No, everything gets 24v instead of 19v...

Depending on your board version, the electronics fan will go faster (understand: more noise), and the hot end fan will probably die as it is a 12v fan already overpowered with 19v.

Motors will get 24v as well, which is ok, your heating cartridge will warm up faster. But all in all you should be good ;)

• Like 1

No, everything gets 24v instead of 19v...

Depending on your board version, the electronics fan will go faster (understand: more noise), and the hot end fan will probably die as it is a 12v fan already overpowered with 19v.

Motors will get 24v as well, which is ok, your heating cartridge will warm up faster. But all in all you should be good ;)

Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Power supply for Ultimaker 1

Today, The new regulator has arrived. I immediately soldered him to the mainboard.

Now it is waiting for the new power supply ;)@neatherbot Thanks for the video!

5a333d0c3d13e_2017-07-2015_37_48.thumb.jpg.141482a7bfb8277a651b9d16e1526607.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

You can also use a lot cheaper TRACO POWER TSR 1-24120. Do the job well (almost same spec - 15-36V input; not 15-42V - that we do not need).

• Like 1

Is the hotend fan the only thing to replace? In the video it said nothing about it? What are some other things that I should calibrate or adjust?