Ultimaker Hero Design Contest

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Hero Design Contest

Hi !

Today we are proud to show you the first release of our new website and our new products, the Ultimaker 2 Go and Ultimaker 2 Extended! We figured, what is the best way to celebrate than to host a contest for our community! On our new platform we have a couple of hero images which we want to dedicate to you guys. And especially your modeling / printing capabilities. The hero images are located at the top of the software page (soon the dedicated Ultimaker 2 Go and Ultimaker 2 Extended pages as well).

In total we are looking at 8 hero images, so it is quite the opportunity to get involved with Ultimaker and showcase your work to a massive audience.

We are working together with StudioSpass, a creative agency who will help us with the hero images. To give you an idea we had in mind, please take a look at one of the before mentioned pages or specifically the products page and then this example sketch StudioSpass has made.

Edit; To be clear, this is a suggestion we made to give you a push in a certain direction. If you want to use your creativity please feel free to do so and surprise us!

54ab92728bc62.png

Here's the full set of sketches of every print to give you an idea of what we had in mind.

We understand it is not reasonable to ask for a fully outlined concept and artwork for 'just' a chance to win, therefor we have set up a couple of phases.

First phase

Starting now! Ending January 14th. Collecting all entries.

An entry should be a pretty accurate representation of what you have in mind.

It can be sketches or drawings or how you prefer to work. We do not require fully detailed artwork, but a representation of what you would make when selected. The ideas / work you submit will remain to be your own IP. But keep in mind your submission will be used by us to select a lucky few to enter the second phase. So try to find an appropriate balance between a valuable representation and the amount of time you put in. When you make it to the second phase you are guaranteed to be rewarded for your work. If you don't make it to the second phase, we are very grateful for your input but there is no further reward.

Second phase

Starting January 15th. Ending February 10th.

A lucky few are selected to continue in this contest. They will be given the opportunity to further outline their work to represent what they have in mind.

Based on this input a top 3 will be selected, and the #1 will be allowed to design the hero images which will be displayed on the main pages on Ultimaker.com

#1) Ultimaker 2 Extended

#2) Ultimaker 2

#3) Ultimaker 2 Go.

Depending on the amount of work #1 submitted we may also mutually agree on an additional financial compensation.

Third phase

Starting February 11th. Ending March 15th.

Creating of content production. In this phase the #1 will work on creating all the files and near the end Ultimaker will use those files during photoshoots for online content.

We will only check for submissions in this thread.

Information on how to upload images can be found

We are very excited for what lies ahead, hopefully you are too!

• Replies 126
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, but I don't fully understand what the idea of the contest really is,

do we need to design the objects that are shown in the PDF, can it be totally our own design, or close to the sketch in the PDF file.

or do we need to print these for you ?

a stick for two roles of PLA ?

wheels in different sizes ?

pieces of a modular system

A very high magician’s hat and magic stick ?

pencil, an owl, a nail, several leaves and a classic bird house

these are objects that don't need designing ?

must these parts only be printed on an Ultimaker ?

and posted on Dec 29th ?

I can tell that they are looking for royalty free designs for promotional purposes,

and I would like to help to show the awesome power of the UM's.

but a little bit more clearer info would be nice :)

At least participants do not have to fear that the company takes their designs and patent it... ;)

I also had to read the text three times to get an impression what's really asked for. Though, I'm not yet sure I fully understood... :unsure:

Sorry guys, I thought it was pretty clear.

(else I would have written it differently of course..)

What we are looking for are designs by you guys that we can use in the hero images mentioned in the text.

The sketches provided are to give you an idea of what we had in mind as themes.

They can be used as a suggestion or inspiration, so you can focus on the style mostly (like realistic, cartoony, low poly, whatever).

But we don't want to limit your creativity so if you feel you have a totally better idea of what kind of models would suit those hero images better feel free to submit your own ideas. The goal is to have 1 designer to do them all, so we have 1 style.

I hope this makes it clearer?

Now I see. It's about the style not about contents/models... (I guess the ambiguity of the term 'design' caused the confusion...). Thanks for the explanation.

Do you want them drawn? I kinda like the photo's too!

But so basically you want someone to create 8 images in the same style, corresponding to the themes(homepage, products page (Ultimaker 2 Family hero image), Ultimaker 2 page, Ultimaker Original page, materials page and software page)?

Hi Titus,

It can be drawings, whatever you want.

Every artist has his own way of outlining his ideas, we don't want to limit anyones workflow.

However, make sure it does represent what you have in mind (perhaps adding like a portfolio would be clever), because that is what we will have to determine who will be in phase 2.

Do you need something like this?

ultimaker test1

Let me know if I understood it.

First we send you 8 images before January 14th. Then you select 3 guys who improve their own work before February 10th. And finally, one of them finish his job.

On Jan 15th we know who are the three guys and on Feb 11th we know who is #1, #2, and #3.

It's all right?

Sounds like an awesome opportunity to get your artwork featured!

I am really excited that Ultimaker places such a high value on original artwork.

I'm looking forward to submitting my ideas!

From what I understand the Creative Brief to be:

Ultimaker is requesting unique and original 3d print ready artwork centered around 8 themes (already created by StudioSpass) such as "An U.F.O., a large rocket, a meteor, a satellite and a planet."

Ultimaker wants to tell a compelling story with each of the 8 3d printed themes/scenes. The 8 themes will be printed by Ulitmaker and photographed by StudioSpass.

Please let me know if I understand correctly :)

Thanks so much!

lol.... it seems like we are all asking the same question in different ways :)

Can't hurt to get more clarity in a design contest though!

I thought the 8 teams were related to the pages, not the things StudioSpass came up with?

Also, I don;t think they will be printed and photographed, it's the artwork itself going up the site right?

I thought the 8 teams were related to the pages, not the things StudioSpass came up with?

Also, I don;t think they will be printed and photographed, it's the artwork itself going up the site right?

From how the original post reads, it looks like the ultimate goal is to have real 3d printed objects in front of and around Ultimaker's new 3d printers. They want to showcase the quality of prints from the new printers and the skill of the artist in their community. They have already been working with a creative agency (StudioSpass) to come up with a promotional campaign. Within this campaign will be 8 "hero shots"... "Ultimaker will use those files during photoshoots for online content. "

I could create some nicely lit and composed renders during the second and third phase of the competition though :)

Cool! I'm in for sure :)

Sounds like an awesome opportunity to get your artwork featured!

I am really excited that Ultimaker places such a high value on original artwork.

I'm looking forward to submitting my ideas!

From what I understand the Creative Brief to be:

Ultimaker is requesting unique and original 3d print ready artwork centered around 8 themes (already created by StudioSpass) such as "An U.F.O., a large rocket, a meteor, a satellite and a planet."

Ultimaker wants to tell a compelling story with each of the 8 3d printed themes/scenes. The 8 themes will be printed by Ulitmaker and photographed by StudioSpass.

Please let me know if I understand correctly :)

Thanks so much!

Yes, that is pretty much it!

Looking forward to all of your interpretations!

Do you need something like this?

We are looking for things a little bit more narrative

From how the original post reads, it looks like the ultimate goal is to have real 3d printed objects in front of and around Ultimaker's new 3d printers. They want to showcase the quality of prints from the new printers and the skill of the artist in their community. They have already been working with a creative agency (StudioSpass) to come up with a promotional campaign. Within this campaign will be 8 "hero shots"... "Ultimaker will use those files during photoshoots for online content. "

I could create some nicely lit and composed renders during the second and third phase of the competition though :)

Yes, eventually we are going to print them for the pictures!

No renderings but actual prints.

How about posting any progress pictures of our submissions? Or would you like everything we create all one time on the 14th?

How about posting any progress pictures of our submissions? Or would you like everything we create all one time on the 14th?

I want to see your progress!

I want to see your progress!

me too :) It will also give me the opportunity to give you some feedback.

QBKXksx.jpg?1

This a desgin I have been working with for a little bit. Figured I would show this to get some feedback. I created this drawing/ future 3d model to go on the software page. SInce these prints are supposed to be more narrative than just "there", here is my view on my artwork: Software needs be to rigidly defined and can not contain bugs or discrepancies, or else the software will not function properly. The rigidnes and solid structure of the cube embodies the idea of straightforward ness and ease of use like Cura, but the cube is still visually complex, just like Cura on expert mode. The divison of the main cube into several parts not only makes the model more complex, but also visually organizes the cube making it more asethtically pleasing.

My idea is to make some tools and some furniture.

Like a hammer, a screwdriver, a screw, a saw, a cutter, a table, a sofa and a pillow.

Still WIP some things might be changed.

here is a fast sketch

hero contest sketch 1

Of course these will be full printable 3D-Models in the end.

is it possible to submit more than one idea?