Big & Little news !

ultiarjan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Big & Little news !

Nice machines. :-P

But: Are the names another example of names given at R&D and just picked up by marketing? (I now see why the R&D people started using ugly names like pluggable Unicorn... ;) ).

Is it just the picture or does the UM2 GO have an unnecessarily small print bed? Where has the famous build-space-to-machine-size-ratio gone?

But: Are the names another example of names given at R&D and just picked up by marketing? (I now see why the R&D people started using ugly names like pluggable Unicorn... ;) ).

Uhm. No. They where called the Goliath and Calimero during development. (And Mini and Maxi)

And is it just the picture or does the UM2 GO have an unnecessarily small print bed? Where has the famous build-space-to-machine-size-ration gone?

That was quick, told them someone would notice this. But didn't expect it from the press photos. Kudos!

The print volume is 122x122x110. But the head movement actually has ~10 more mm in the X direction on both sides. So with some hacking you could get 140x122x110 out of it.

The external size could not be made smaller due to the electronics size, else we would have made it to fit the build volume.

It does look super cute in real life. (But it's bigger then the TITAN :p )

Nice machines. :-P

But: Is it just the picture or does the UM2 GO have an unnecessarily small print bed? Where has the famous build-space-to-machine-size-ration gone?

I think it's logical that the ratio get's (a lot) worse on a small machine as the space needed for the printhead stays the same.

The ratio *could* have been bigger, but we couldnt get the machine smaller due to the electronics.

Am I correct that the Z-axes are the same diameter on the "extended" (this name is to long IMHO...) as on the normal UM2 ? So if I would "extend" my UM2 would I only need ?

- new side panels

- 2 Z axes

- Zstepper/leadscrew

optional, longer stepper covers

Am I correct that the Z-axes are the same diameter on the "extended" (this name is to long IMHO...) as on the normal UM2 ? So if I would "extend" my UM2 would I only need ?

- new side panels

- 2 Z axes

- Zstepper/leadscrew

optional, longer stepper covers

And longer electronic cables.

Ah yes, thought about moving the electronics to the back, but that's probably not an option looking at the controller in the front plate..

I like the mini one. will check out the specs when they get around to updating the website.

I have never needed a taller printer than my UM2 but wider would have been nice.

I expect the UM pico to perform even better then the UM2, as it has even less resonance during printing, and print with greater speed.

But does the UM grande really have the same z-axis rods as the UM2 ?, when I made my UM taller, I immediately noticed big difference in z-axis wobble with the too thin rods.

and can we expect the new Cura when the new UM's start shipping ? (deadline Daid ?)

and pricing based on ZDnet .. extrapolated to euro

3xpricing

edit: according to the UM website the europe pricing is 1195 euro for the GO and 2495 euro for the extended (ex VAT), so the new ones are relatively more expensive in europe....

But does the UM grande really have the same z-axis rods as the UM2 ?, when I made my UM taller, I immediately noticed big difference in z-axis wobble with the too thin rods.

It's only 100mm. We didn't notice any "bad" effects that we noticed with the really tall ones that we prototyped a long time ago. The UM2 bed also helps a bit on this aspect, as well as the lighter head.

and can we expect the new Cura when the new UM's start shipping ? (deadline Daid ?)

Planning to have an update on Cura out before that, just to assist everyone that already has one of these machines for testing and showing off (resellers get them sooner for promotion)

The website doesn't seem to have many specs on the new UM'S. Do they have upgraded feeders or nozzles?

Will the UM2go be upgradable to dual extrusion?

Is the spool holder the same as um2?

The website doesn't seem to have many specs on the new UM'S. Do they have upgraded feeders or nozzles?

Will the UM2go be upgradable to dual extrusion?

Is the spool holder the same as um2?

First half of the first question is the most interesting IMHO. ;)

I was very excited about the Go when I saw the promo, but now the prices are known, my excitement has waned. For the same money as a single go, you could buy 3 Robo Rminis, also to be announced at CES, with almost the same build size (4.5 inches cubed), It's a very competitive market out there and those wanting to do affordable printing will be going to other manufacturers. Don't really want to see Ultimaker become the Apple of 3D printing.

I found it interesting to see that the shop now has U-PET material.. no further info though..

also U-PET is now the default material you get for free when buying a new printer..

I found it interesting to see that the shop now has U-PET material.. no further info though..

also U-PET is now the default material you get for free when buying a new printer..

This material was mentioned before here in the forum: http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/8237-pla-hitzebest%C3%A4ndiger-machen/&do=findComment&comment=81712

It seems that sometimes the language specific sub forums get the information first; it's quite similar on the French sub forum I think...

First half of the first question is the most interesting IMHO. ;)

No new feeders or hotends. Yes, we are working on that, it was not ready for these machines. The latest teflon pieces are a bit better. But other then that, you can expect sort of the same problems with these as with the UM2. After all, they are variations of the UM2 as the names imply.

I was very excited about the Go when I saw the promo, but now the prices are known, my excitement has waned. For the same money as a single go, you could buy 3 Robo Rminis, also to be announced at CES, with almost the same build size (4.5 inches cubed), It's a very competitive market out there and those wanting to do affordable printing will be going to other manufacturers. Don't really want to see Ultimaker become the Apple of 3D printing.

We decided quite a while ago that we are not going to join the "race to the bottom". Yes, there are cheaper options out there. Quite a few actually (I would recommend the printrbot options over the Robo options if you want cheap).

But we prefer to have highest quality prints. And better user experience. (Also, for 400 euros, you cannot build an Ultimaker. Unless you have it assembled by child labor)

U-PET

Yes, this was a bit unannounced and added to the shop. It's one of those things where it shows that we are doing way too much at the same time. It's U-PET. It's great. It's printable PET, in multiple colors.

It has been tested a lot and prints great in the UMO and UM2. The latest UM2 firmware has material settings for this as well.

can't find any specs on U-PET on the UM shop, whats typical the printing temperature of this stuff ? how does it compare to colorfabb XT ?

How much does the small one weigh?

I can see using it for demos but if I'm traveling with it, size AND weight are both important. I don't work out and have poor upper body strength.

How much does the small one weigh?

I can see using it for demos but if I'm traveling with it, size AND weight are both important. I don't work out and have poor upper body strength.

Not sure on the weight, it's lighter then an original that's as much as I know on that.

But I do know it comes in special packaging that is designed to be re-usable and easy for transport.

can't find any specs on U-PET on the UM shop, whats typical the printing temperature of this stuff ? how does it compare to colorfabb XT ?

I think the XT is also a form of PET (could be wrong here).

Settings for the UM2 are:

Print temperature 250C

Bed temperature 60

Fan speed 50%

Settings for the UM2 are:

Print temperature 250C

Bed temperature 60

Fan speed 50%

What's the corresponding print speed? 50mm/s? With colored XT these are more or less the parameters I can print with 25mm/s.

Can you say anything about interlayer adhesion?

I don't really get why you would want a smaller one. IMO the Original with the printed handle is portable enough. I take it by bike and train to the ultievenings :p

But I'm curious to see it IRL, it is said to be really cute!

I don't really get why you would want a smaller one. IMO the Original with the printed handle is portable enough. I take it by bike and train to the ultievenings :p

But I'm curious to see it IRL, it is said to be really cute!

You could have said about the same for these devices: ;)

old_mobile_phones.jpg