The next big thing?

foehnsturm

Posted (edited) · The next big thing?

To relax from talking about bugs and a at least partly misdirected new forum design:

According to several insiders, there is something "pretty awesome" coming on which UM has been working for a long time.

But what?

There is no doubt that UM needs some innovation drive in the near future. Despite its economic success (which I assume), UM keeps more or less selling the same printer for several years now.  Much prettier and more silent with the UM2, smaller and taller with the  Go and Extended but basically the same.

Right now, they won't tell anything as far as I know.  Be it because of the competition or the epic fail with the dual extrusion announcement.

So let's speculate (or find an information leak ;-)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Posted · The next big thing?

But what could be "awesome" but somehow closely related to the current product?

AFAIK UM hired Erik Zalm some time ago.

So new firmware based on new electronics like smoothieboard?

... hmm. Good point. Yes, maybe something into the direction of smoothieboard / pannel like? Maybe with included wireless capabilites (think octoprint but integrated)? That would allready be "pretty awesome".

I am also thinking fast change / switching tool heads (eg. laser cutter, pens, etc.). Sounds familiar :)? For the UM and the UM2!

Magnetic dual head extruder! Oh wait...

Chocolate cake extruder with dual flavors! Umm...

Piezoelectric head movement, no gears for zero backslash.

Optic register with perfect memory to resume printing.

Optical laser register to scan printed object and continue at any point.

That's all I can think off :)

Piezoelectric head movement, no gears for zero backslash.

Someone will get rid of costly, bulky and heavy steppers sometime (what 2D printer uses steppers?). If they fullfil their promises TIKO will be one of the first to do that (3 millions a Kickstater is not that bad).

I heard it would not be revolutionary but innovative...

I heard it would not be revolutionary but innovative...

Yeah, I've also heard that, and in my opinion it's the best option. They've been selling almost the same machine for years, but they still have an amazing printing quality compared to new 3D printers.

I can't really imagine what the next step would be. Dual extrusion won't be released (at least officially), and a multi-colour 3D printer seem more like an idea for the Ultimaker 7 rather than an upgrade for the UM2.

I would like some improvements that made 3D printing even more simple (to please those who think that 3D printing is as easy as pressing a button). I don't think that the printing quality could improve with any kit on the UM2, I will leave that for the UM3, but I believe we will have to wait some more years to see that happen.

I don't expect something revolutionary from UM ;-) But I'm hoping for something innovative ...

So what component needs improvement most?

Perhaps a WiFi exension in combination with an app for your phone/tablet....

Lasercut module would also be very nice.....

Perhaps a WiFi exension in combination with an app for your phone/tablet....

Lasercut module would also be very nice.....

You can have that already I think search L-CHEAPO

Correct, Laser exists as an upgrade. Was an indiegogo deal. Nice guy. Delivered fast and as promised. I think you can still get it here:http://robots-everywhere.com/re_site/purchase/l-cheapo/.

But I would like to see a bit more form UM if it would be that... like a very modular print head / head with multiple attachements. Easy to expand, enhance / control. Thinking change from direct drive to bowden. Change to pen, laser, cnc (3d?) Mill. Whatever... maybe with coil, magnets and a parking system... i would love that.

• Like 1

Thinking change from direct drive to bowden. Change to pen, laser, cnc (3d?) Mill. Whatever... maybe with coil, magnets and a parking system... i would love that.

Read this post then

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer

Well there has been mention that they are working on Flex Drive kit for UM2. But Im guessing its not that. Not really innovative, just adopting it to make it work on UM2.

if you look at the time line of when products were released in the passed then UM3 should come out at the end of this year :p

Regarding printing quality I'd say the E axis falls behind X/Y/Z and needs something "innovative". There is more than one competitor with better control of extrusion, retraction etc.

So, no bowden anymore?

New firmware with sailfish-like compensation of extruder lag or independent axes and velocity-based extrusion?

But I would like to see a bit more form UM if it would be that... like a very modular print head / head with multiple attachements. Easy to expand, enhance / control. Thinking change from direct drive to bowden. Change to pen, laser, cnc (3d?) Mill. Whatever... maybe with coil, magnets and a parking system... i would love that.

Well UM says they keep an eye on my toolchanger approach and the work of the other guys there, just in case something they are working on fails. So there is R&D related to this area but no idea if this is meant by the "pretty awesome".

It's too bad that we're not allowed to tell you about the projects people are working on here at R&D, but y'all are going to love it, I'm sure!

• Like 1

Just use Japanese or Chinese, no one will notice ;-)

• Like 2

It will trigger my spam-ban-reflex tho :p

我说UM应该考虑限制信息泄露的一种营销手段像苹果一样。

• Like 2

OK这里的大秘密

- 双材料超挤出机

- 超级猴子证明零维护

-less比500欧元

-space级材料的使用

- 每分钟打印1dm3

• Like 1

這是會得到非常混亂,非常快!

• Like 1

次の大きなものは、プラグイン、ユニコーン、芝刈り機、ウラン、複数のアプリケーションに関係しています。

Gopfred stutz! Do weiss jo gäng immer niemer me`was los isch.

Müemer mitem googeli alles übersetze...

Oh I expected that ;-)

Ietzad müassad ma hoid schaugn ob jemand wos wissad der boarisch redt.