Jonny, that metal delta looks like a Kossel on steroids!!!
Compared to the UM's the effector indeed feels - a bit - wobbly. I experience this at the Kossel too.
But let's tell about my experiences. @UltiArjan, you're welcome to drop by and have a look on-site. Maybe we can compile a BOM or something. By-the-way. I started building before I noticed this thread. And this thing still is a work in progress. To start with....... I needed a second printer. A spare with a decent quality. Like LARGE vases. Or statues. Not those 100% precise parts. An ultra-high delta printer seemed usefull (and cool!). So I went for the Kossel.
I went to the site http://www.builda3dprinter.eu. The guy behind it, really gave some great advise for I wanted a 3mm filament, and an extra high version.
Because I did want to run 2.85mm filament I choose for the e3d v6 bowden 3mm hotend. Ordered the hot-end on the website e3d-online.com. Received it fast. One minor thing: the blue fan shroud was very looze on the alu cooler. On the other side: my current effector does not have a fan for the printed object. So I have to fully design it myself. Some day. For now I managed to add a fan mount using tie raps....
I have two extra long side rods, about 1000mm, for a build size of max 55 cm high. However currently I run a 750mm rod having a 30 cm buid height. First get a working printer, after that it's time for freewheeling.... After I assembled the frame, the stability was as expected. Not too stable. However stable enough to print a fine vase... My plan is to make some side panels, two large K's, from blue plexiglass in the theme of the printer in Marine Blue. I also will get some dailight LED's from the IKEA, to have it look even cooler :smile:. But of course this is not the most important. I want to start printing. Soon.
Assembling the Kossel was, except the soldering and cabling, a piece of cake. Easy. I got the whole printer up and running in let's say 3 days. So optimistic as I was I took my printer to the monday ulti evening at the ProtoSpace in Utrecht. Got a lot of questions and offers for support during the evening. Powered it on and printed a small cup. All went well.... till... extrusion stopped. Last days I was trying to print several larger objects, no success. Somehow extrusion stopped to soon. Time after time. Spilled meters of original Ultimaker PLA, XT.
So I set back, took some distance and decided to recheck all trivial things....Wooha, my bad, for some kind of reason the temp sensor settings selected was not stored back on disk. As a result next compile, the wrong temperature entered the build. TEMP_SENSOR_0_1 (instead of 5 which is needed by the sensor on the kossel).
About the calibration.... I didn't :smile:.I just lowered the nozzle manually to X0 and Y0. Entering this as a starting point into the delta printing hight (MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS). I took the Kossel XL configuration from Ardon's website. (http://builda3dprinter.eu), these settings proved to be very precise! I carefully increased X and Y to the edges, looking at the nozzle not touching the build plate. Perfect fit, and: PEFECT first layers!!!! (Which is so cool!)
Now I'm printing Joris' weekly cup 34 in Orange XT. It looks PERFECT. Extrusion seems ok, now my Z axis is on Z059.20. Sitting here with a huge smile!
The whole thing costed me about €750,-. Delivering me a perfect first €750 euro vase :smile: