Is anyone developing an after-market enclosure for the UM2

Posted · Is anyone developing an after-market enclosure for the UM2

The topic of enclosures for an Ultimaker is pretty popular. I am not sure how anyone prints ABS without one! It seems like it would be profitable for Ultimaker to have one as an addition...or someone! Is there anyone offering one and I have missed them?

My current solution takes a really attractive 3D printer and makes it look like quite the mess!

11215173_10153476217082743_3374253350469865898_n.jpg?oh=040443626ec15f5b5ea42721becfce89&oe=561BECDC

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Is anyone developing an after-market enclosure for the UM2

That looks pretty good.   It is not a cheap add-on but then it is not a cheap printer getting the add-on.   Certainly looks better than my creation :-)   If I do buy it I will come back and post a review.

[update]

Well, I ordered one. At least I think that I did. Could have been a mail order bride for all I know as the site was all in German.

[update]

Thanks for the link,

Will

Edited by Guest

You can always get the laser cut files and do your own by using one of the many laser cut services online. You could save a lot but if you want it fast that guys ultiarjan said do custom stuff. I asked them for a door for my umo+ and they quoted fast. But isn't cheap

Posted (edited) · Is anyone developing an after-market enclosure for the UM2

The shop's owner @3d-printerstore24 is a forum member. I'm not sure if he's still active here, but now he's gonna get a notification about this thread ;)

(Or not, if the tagging function doesn't work...)

/edit: tagging doesn't seem to work? It does work with my name: @jonnybischof... And I did write the name correctly.

-.-

Edited by Guest

I use this top cover with the door and the ABS printing works fine.

Nils,

What do you need to do, if anything, when you print PLA? My other printer is a fully enclosed MakerBot Clone and I installed a fan for when I print PLA.

Thanks,

Will

P.S. Top cover and door shipped within hours of the order being placed

Hallo Will,

I have never printed PLA since I got my top cover / door. You have to try it. If the heat is too much, you can just put off the top cover and the door. Both parts are not permanently mounted to the UM2.

Regards,

Nils

IMHO, enclosing the top of the UM2 really isn't necessary.

I've got a piece of plexiglas that hangs on the front to block the front side opening, and that seems to do the job for the ABS parts that I manufacture (90% of my printing).

My experiments indicate that I need the top. My office can be tres breezy as it is also my wifes path to the garden!

I've got a piece of plexiglas that hangs on the front to block the front side opening, and that seems to do the job for the ABS parts that I manufacture (90% of my printing).

Eldrick,

Even with a cover and door I still struggle with adhesion. I have another printer, a Makerbot clone, that I use for ABS and have no issues there, but the UM2 is fighting me. Do you have a profile that you can share, what surface are you printing on, and how do you prep that surface? I think that cooling is my issue as that is the major diff' between the UM2 and the clone as I have a directed cooling highly ducted fan on the clone.

Thanks,

Will

Nothing all that unusual. I use glue-stick for the bed, set at 98-100C, and print at 240-242C, as per most filament manufacturers recommendations.

The parts that made me crazy before I got it to work right with ABS are nearly solid, about the size and shape of a thumb - enough to hold a lot of heat while printing, and round, so the outer edges want to curl upward.

Because Cura does a poor job of managing the outer loop start/stop points and creates an unpredictable z-scar, I use Kisslicer (which shouldn't matter).

I do use a bit of fan with these ABS parts, because there is a 50-degree overhang. My fans are a bit more efficient than stock, because I have replaced the stock fans with higher-speed ones and I use a better fan duct from Youmagine. But this shouldn't be much different than stock, as I only use around 20% (of the uprated) fan speed - try setting 30% for similar effect.

And, as I said, a piece of plexi to close the front side. My room has little circulation, but I do use an air cleaner that creates some air motion while printing.

I just printed this in ABS, and I'm not experienced in ABS at all, but it was actually a very easy print. I used "cubestick" glue, which is an easy to use liquid glue, I had this as it's the only thing I know that works with flex-pla, but now I know it's also good for ABS.

http://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer?page=46#reply-113029

www.3Dprinterstore24.de is a really good shop. Really fast support. I bought manny upgrades for my ultimaker there.

Maybe you want to try my version of a top cover: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/housingcover-ultimaker-2--3

Last days it was verry hot in Germany! I started to print PLA and heated up my printbed to 60 deg. It was a failure not to remove the top cover. It leeds to clogging nozzle :-( I think it was too hot inside.

My cover and door arrived yesterday in a very securely packed box. The instructions were all in German but the pictures made it pretty clear what needed to be done. I would recommend that anyone building this cover insert all the nuts before the parts are assembled. Some will be tight enough to stay in place but others might require a small piece of masking tape. Once the sides start to be put in place I found it a lot harder to insert the securing nuts but this could just be me and my coordination!

The cover and the door look really good mounted on the machine. They look like the were sold by Ultimaker though I suspect that Ultimaker would have used frosted plexi for the side panels! I am very pleased with the cover though.

My only complaint, or suggestion for improvement, would be to either ship the door unassembled but still wrapped in the protective plastic. Or strip the protective plastic before assembling the door. I found it to be a real pain to get the plastic off cleanly and had to partially disassemble the door to do so.

IMG_2258_2.jpg

• Like 2

Hello All,

I'm very curious if people are getting better print results in PLA with these enclosures.  I think my largest problem on some prints is draft coming through the front opening.  I made a simple solution as per attached image with clear plastic sheet from Amazon and some magnets.  It seems to have stopped a large percentage of draft that was hitting the part of the model facing the opening.  The top is fully open though.  I wish I could do some thermal imaging to see where the flow of air is going.  Is it not good perhaps to allow radiant heat to dissipate through the top and leave it open to the room and just stop fast moving air flow from the large front opening?

The manufactured enclosure looks great but I'd like to hear if anyone is experiencing great print improvement with the top enclosure in addition to front side enclosure.  Thanks for any feed back.

5a33116a2ea60_PlasticEnclosure.thumb.jpg.a502e53c4f753af4cabc803f00223869.jpg

5a33116a2ea60_PlasticEnclosure.thumb.jpg.a502e53c4f753af4cabc803f00223869.jpg

I have never had a problem printing PLA and my office / Man Cave is pretty drafty. My need for an enclosure was purely around the printing of ABS. What problems are you experiencing? In my case the more airflow the better in general for PLA!

@Wisar : About the front door you are using (from this German website), how is it working? You need to remove it each time you need to access the build plate or you have some hinge on the bottom?

It looks interesting, but I would like to know if it's not a pain to manage each time you want to open/close the door.

Thank you!

@Wisar : About the front door you are using (from this German website), how is it working? You need to remove it each time you need to access the build plate or you have some hinge on the bottom?

It looks interesting, but I would like to know if it's not a pain to manage each time you want to open/close the door.

Thank you!

I have the same question and hesitating to purchase it for the same reason.

printedsolid.com have a door that seems easy to open and close, but I was hoping to get everything from the German website as they seem more uniform together.

Note that printedsolid.com has much more than just the door - they have complete enclosure kits for all the UM printers.