Olsson block nozzle question

Posted · Olsson block nozzle question

Hi,

I ordered the famous Olsson block from www.3Dsolex.com.

Some nozzles came with it, which look like this:

Q29TyEA.jpg.

On 3Dsolex online shop they also offer nozzles like this:

Photo-09.04.15-19.53.22-e1428660814804.jpg

(image from www.3Dsolex.com)

Here my questions:

1. What is the difference in both?

2. Is there any benefit of one compared to the other?

3. In general what nozzles do fit into the Olsson block? What is to consider - the thread size?

Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Olsson block nozzle question

As @swordriff is on holiday, I try to answer those questions. Maybe @gr5 and @DidierKlein can add or correct (one of you guys had that comparison picture recently iirc).

The 0.15mm and 0.25mm look like your first picture. All other sizes look like the second picture. However, at least the 0.25mm nozzle has changed its look very recently. On the inside and around the tip they are they same; including the important angles.

The 3dSolex nozzles and the Olsson block respectively have a M6 thread, so it's compatible with e.g. E3D nozzles. Just make sure you have a nozzle for 3 (2.85) mm filament diameter and not 1.75mm.

Edited by Guest

Hi Dim3nsioneer,

I didn'n know that swordriff is on holiday so thanks for your help.

All my 4 nozzles look like the first image and I ordered together with the Olsson block from 3Dsolex.com.

I have 1 x 0.8mm, 2 x 0.4 mm and one I don't know really.

I think it should be 0.25 mm, but I tested and by hand I could insert a 0.3mm drill but 0.4 mm drill did not fit. Can it be that is 0.3mm?

Edited by Guest

Hi Dim3nsioneer,

I didn'n know that swordriff is on holiday so thanks for your help.

All my 4 nozzles look like the first image and I ordered together with the Olsson block from 3Dsolex.com.

I have 1 x 0.8mm, 2 x 0.4 mm and one I don't know really.

I think it should be 0.25 mm, but I tested and by hand I could insert a 0.3mm drill but 0.4 mm drill did not fit. Can it be that is 0.3mm?

Hm. Did you order quite some time ago? Something like back in summer? And you don't happen to have E3D nozzles (they look like that in the first picture) which you could have mixed up, right? (just to exclude this) You also ordered directly from 3dSolex, not from iGo3d, correct?

There are no such thing like 0.3mm nozzles from 3dSolex; only 0.25mm and 0.4mm. If you have such a strange nozzle, please contact @swordriff (PM or email). He will answer you immediately when he is back (in about a week), I'm sure. He is very serious about customer satisfaction.

Hi,

I only ordered from 3DSolex no other supplier. I think it was this summer, may July or August.

Apart from that I never ordered any nozzles, so mixing up could not have happened.

I also really wondered about that 0.3mm.

I found it out, because a few days ago I finally could built in my Olsson block.

And then I wanted to get the 0.4mm nozzle fro 1st test print. But since there is nothing printed on the nozzles to see what diameter they have I just used my tiny drills to find it out.

And at that time I figured out that 0.3 mm drill fits through while 0.4 mm don't. - Strange :-|

OK, I will contact Swordriff when he's back...

You might have E3D nozzles. On the very start, such nozzles were shipped before the JET nozzles came out.

Hi

for what its worth I too have the same, but I think your nozzle is 0.25 I too tested with miniture drills they are not the best to test with, and when you consider the difference 0.20 and 0.30 MMM its not a lot.

the last batch of Nozzles i got had the sizes printed on which ends the confusion.

Hi,

why the drills are not the best to test?

I measured the diameter of the drill with my digital caliper:

0.3mm drill measured: 0.29mm

0.4mm drill measured: 0.39mm

I have 4 of each drill and all show same diameter, so I think I can trust it quite well.

BTW what is the difference of the E3D nozzles compared to the JET nozzles?

Edited by Guest

E3D nozzles are fine but have a bit more friction - they aren't as well polished inside. If you run the little blue screwdriver up and down the inside you can feel bumps in the E3D ones but not on the solex ones. this is more critical in the final hole where most of the "friction" occurrs. Also the length of the hole when at it's smallest is shorter for the JET nozzles. 3dsolex only sells JET nozzles for a while now but a LOT has changed since August.

Anyway - that's 98% chance of being a .25mm nozzle. 3dsolex never made or shipped any nozzles smaller than .4mm that looked like that first photo other than the .25mm nozzles.

The newer .25mm nozzles from 3dsolex look a little different on the outside but are the same on the inside.

For people in England e3d-online are quite a bit cheaper than 3dsolex but for people outside of England I'm not sure - certainly the e3d-online nozzles sold in USA cost MUCH more than the 3dsolex nozzles.

http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6/Extra-Nozzles

Hi gr5,

thanks for your detailed answer.

Does that mean JET nozzles are the recommended nozzles for Olsson block?

Does somebody know where can I order JET nozzles in Germany?

You can use any m6 threaded nozzle with the Olsson Block, Jet Nozzles are great and well manufactured, it's your choice.

You can find a list of resellers on the website:

http://3dsolex.com/representatives

Choose a flagship store as most of them have the full range of products

Keep in mind that didier and I both run a store selling 3dsolex parts but I think we both would rather give good advice rather than advice that makes us money.

Also keep in mind that the 3dsolex store is "down" for vacation for about another week.

Any E3D (for 3mm filament - not 1.75mm filament) work great with the olsson block. JET nozzles are just recommended simply because they print faster (less resistance). But it's a small improvement and it also means they are slightly more likely to leak/string. But I don't think you'll notice any difference.

Hi gr5,

thanks...

Hi guys, I can't remember who posted it and I was unable to find the post but I copied the photo to my iPad. It was probably Carl.

But to who ever originally posted it you are credited and thanked but apologies for re posting the photo without your consent, cheers Izzy

image.thumb.png.2edc878d498e73e71b5b906131391337.png

Hi guys, I can't remember who posted it and I was unable to find the post but I copied the photo to my iPad. It was probably Carl.

But to who ever originally posted it you are credited and thanked but apologies for re posting the photo without your consent, cheers Izzy

It was Gr5

Ahhh... that was the image I meant...

It was me. Those are all pretty old now. The only nozzles that still are like that photo are 3rd from the left and 2nd from the right. All the others have changed. For example we don't sell RSS 040 but now sell .5mm with zero dots. 1mm has 2+2 dots:

.25mm 0 dots

.4mm 1 dot

.6 2 dots

.8 3 dots

1.0 4 dots

Also in the above photo 3 of the nozzles (first 2 on left and 4th from right) have a smaller cone. We don't sell anything like that anymore I don't think - well maybe the .15mm nozzle is like that. I forget (I'm sold out again so can't check).

My apologies to GR5, but I knew it had to be one of you guys, I must admit with some of the new nozzles having the size laser cut or etched on looks great, but my supply of old style will last me a while, although I may have to have a play with some of the very very small ones ;)

@gr5 The .15mm nozzle is still shaped like that ;)

I don't know if this has been mentioned in another post (couldn't find it), but could someone tell me how much the maximum height of U2's print volume changes after you install the Olsson Block? I would imagine it goes from 205mm to something like 195-200mm? Thanks.

Correctly mounted i belive you should not loose any print height at all, the 205mm max height is a quite conservative limit, especially if your UM2 is not amongst the first 500 units that had the larger bottom print head part.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Thanks @meduza, I bought mine in October, so I doubt it's amongst the first 500 ones :)

You lose only about 2mm at the most I believe. If you are printing something 200mm high or higher you should make sure your bed can actually reach that before starting the print. I recommend using pronterface to test this out - takes just a minute to test different heights and see where the limit switch gets hit.

pronterface/printrun (it's free and an easy gui to use):

http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, who is responsible for the horrible system of dot-marking?

I find it hard to imagine any way to create more confusion than by not only using a random number of dots for the sizes, but also completely changing the system more than once over less than two years. That's just insane.