3d scanner full body

Vampiel

Posted · 3d scanner full body

I've done some research and have found that more recently there have been a few scanners released affordable to home users. The ones I've ran into before were upwards of 15k.

What I'm looking to do is a 3d scan of a person (full body).

A few options I've read about :

Structure scanner - the downside is it uses Apple Ipad so I'd have to buy one just for this and I don't really like Apple.

Kinect - I've read you can scan with this but I haven't been able to find a lot of info.

Project Tango - Haven't been able to find much info, even on their official website and it doesn't look complete.

So my only option that I'm looking at is the Structure Scanner. Does anyone know of a good 3d color scanner that's not thousands of dollars?

I recently bought a used Xbox360 Kinect (with adapter) at Game Stop for $25 after testing the one that my grandkids have and it works ok (see my avatar), I also researched scanners and was leaning toward the Cubify Sense scanner since I already use some modeling software from 3D systems, but $400 dollars was just too much money for something that won't pick up small detailed objects.

Then I read about using the Kinect sensor and how it was ok for people. I use it with "Skanect" to capture and "Meshmixer" to do final clean-ups (both free). You will need to download the SDK package from Microsoft (also free) in order to connect it to your computer. Sorry I don't have the links but the information is there if you search for "Kinect for 3D scanning", I think "Instructables" was one of the web sites that lists everything you need. I had better luck with "Skanect" than I did with "Reconstruct Me"

I did however buy the "Pro" license for Skanect ($118.00 from Studica) because the free version will only export 5000 faces (which looks pretty bad). You can make it work with free version if you bring it into meshmixer and clean it up. Even if it looks really rough (triangulated), you won't notice it too much after it's printed. The Skanect Pro will export unlimited faces and only needs minor fixes such as fixing the top of the head that is usually flat after scanning.

The Kinect works better for me if I leave it stationary and rotate the person or object. It's not perfect but it's not $400 dollars either. I would definitely try it before spending a lot of money on a scanner because the other dedicated scanners on the market still require manipulation after the scan.

The only drawback I see with the Kinect is that it must be plugged in to 120v to use it and the cords aren't that long, but I'm sure it doesn't pull too much amperage so you could use a small inverter and a small 12V battery to make it more portable.

Posted (edited) · 3d scanner full body

123D Catch can do that, for free basically if you alrteady have a camer and and computer. BUT I am not sure color info would be attached to the STL files since I only ever print in one color and a basic STL files are all i need.

I also read autodesk is letting people use memento for free, it's supposed to be higher rez. I have not goofed around with that one yet.

Edited by Guest

In the last few weeks i also read a lot about 3d scanning, hardware and the current possibilities.

First of all you should think about what extacly want / what qualitiy is your target. 500$ is a lot of money. But for 3D FullBody Scanning it is nothing. According to sobering are the results. I do not want to insult someones Setup, but for a decent 3D FullBody Scanning you need to dig deeper into your pockets.

Theoretically, you could use for 3D FullBody Scanning also a Standard DSLR camera. You'll only need 50 - 100 images from all perspectives for a Software which merge it into a good 3D model. Photoscan from Agisoft oder RealityCapture from Capturingreality can do that without problem. But the Main Problem: Except for the Pantomime, nobody can stand for 5 minutes exactly in the same position that can shoot 50 or 100 Photos from different perspectives. And in no case, if you want to scan an animal or a child.

The solution: Shoot all pictures at the same time. And here the pain begin - financially considered. You need a plenty of cameras, projectors and network stuff to shoot all pictures synchron at the same time. There are already out-of-the-box systems. The cost of them are 30'000$ and more. For example TEN24 uses around 170 pieces of DSLR cameras which synchronously photograph. 100'000 $ and more of investment. But the results are awesome (!!) in detail!

There are also Systems like Artec EVA or Einscan Handheld Scanners which are expensive (4'000 - 10'000) but they told it should be also possible to shoot 3D FullBody.

What can we do? I would suggest to build something yourself. You already heard about the Rasperry PI 3D Full Body Scanner? Well, still not cheap but - according to your wishes - you can have a full body 3D Scanner for less than 10'000$. And the results are also fantastic! And the best: You can shoot whatever you want - kids, animals, adults. Google for it

This year i will try to build up the Rasperry Version.

Good luck

123D Catch can do that, for free basically if you alrteady have a camer and and computer. BUT I am not sure color info would be attached to the STL files since I only ever print in one color and a basic STL files are all i need.

I also read autodesk is letting people use memento for free, it's supposed to be higher rez. I have not goofed around with that one yet.

Did you get 123D catch to work?, I gave up as did everyone else I know that tried it. It's also cloud based which means no more spread eagle scans of the neighbors wife ( just kidding). I wish I could get it to work as I would like to scan my race car which is something you can't do with most scanners.

Any tips would be great,

- connection issue mainly

I wish I could get it to work as I would like to scan my race car which is something you can't do with most scanners.

I gave up on 123d, but are now using Agisoft Photo Scan. You get very good results if you take some precautions with lighting and shine. It would be the most cost-effective solution for scanning objects like a car.

These videos are excellent resource

I use an iPhone 6S Plus, and I believe that the metadata that the smartphone adds provides hints that the software uses to improve the result. But using a DSLR should get you more details. Sharp and "flat-lighted" images are important, and downsizing the resolution helps the software more (to avoid the minute graininess in high-res images).

• Like 1

Did you get 123D catch to work?

Any tips would be great,

- connection issue mainly

You are correct, the main bother with 123d catch is that it can be flakey. I try not to use the smartphone app, because if you get a connection error during the upload you lose all your images.

When using the desktop app you do not lose your images if there is an upload glitch AND you can upload more images (from memory.. Mobile apps max 40images, desktop max 80 or 90 images). So I typically take the photos (most of the time I do use my phone) then put them on my desktop then unload from there. Note that as long as the app get past the upload stage, then you can ignore and freezes/hangups that it often gets durning "processing". If I do get a crash on the processing stage I just log into my autodesk web account and find the model that was uploaded and down load the stl from there. Most of the time I just want to do cropping so I go right into meshmixer (or your fav stl editor, blender, tinkercad, etc) and clean it up for printing. This is because the desktop app is very slow. But sometimes I want to make a movie of my scann and the desktop app is fun for that.

Also read the shooting tips! Taking good photos with overlap is very important for success. You can get horrible results quite easily. :-)

Edited by Guest

Thanks for all the replies. At some point I would like to use the scans to be re-sold so spending a few hundred on it is no issue but upwards of 2-3k+ is way above my budget currently.

I guess it comes down to if the structure scanner is better than the kinect as a scanner, it looks like they use the same method and can even use the same software. Since the Kinect is way cheaper maybe I'll start with that and use the free software to test it out.

So with the Kinect you can use a turntable to scan things? I don't think you can do that with the Structure Scanner.

I'll have to check out that Agisoft Photo Scan and Momento to. I don't have any quality camera's other than the one built into my Note 4 (which is pretty decent). Looks like Momento has a 'try it' product I can download. They both look similar that they use a camera to capture the object.

the difference between the Kinect and the Structure is that the Structure uses the position of the scanner, the movement control  from the Ipad. This way it is easier to walk around a person and scanning all the details, like underneath the chin, with the Ipad.

The Kinect gets confused real easy if the Kinect moves, therefore it is easier to put the Kinect on a tripod or such, and have the person rotate. But it is harder to scan top of the head and underneath the chin like this. And to get a full body, because you need more rotations to get the whole thing.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

I agree with what many have said here. The Kinect is a low res camera and you'll probably upgrade from it pretty quickly. I used it with Reconstructme to scan the kids at my daughter's B-day party and I printed up busts for them all. I used a swivel chair without the back rest installed as a turntable. Even if Skanect works better for you, you'll still be very limited by the camera.

I've been periodically trying to use Catch 123d for years but can never get anything useful from it.

Kinect v1 is the same thing as the structure sensor and the cubify sense resolution wise

Kinect v2 is almost the same thing as project tango.

There are alternatives to catch 123D; Look for shape from motion implementations. There are multiple out there that easily outperform catch123d.

I have used DavidLaserScanner structured scanner software, using a cheap projector beam, and it works very well. Very smooth surfaces and plenty of detail. You can check it for free, although free version does not allow to save scannings. To scan a full body you will need a pretty large setup, a full room. You can try first with small objects and go further if you are satisfied with the results. You can check the DavidLaserScanner site forum to see some amazing results. Be aware that structured scanner does not work very well with color patches.

Be aware that structured scanner does not work very well with color patches.

That really depends on the setup. If you use a monochrome camera the effects are much less. Using both a DLP projector and a mono camera pretty much makes it work well with color patches.

I just signed up for the trial for Agisoft Photo Scan and I'll check out Momento since those are free.  Depending on the results I'm leaning heavily toward the structure scanner because I need something fairly portable that I can bring on a flight with me and it sounds like the better option over the Kinect.

Unfortunately the Android software is under developed for it and can't even access the color function of the camera. I really am not a big fan of apple products but I do need to replace my tablet anyways.

Edited by Guest

I believe it also works for Windows with itSeez3d: http://itseez3d.com/realsense-windows. The colors of this program are better than the Skanect, but the file handling is different, look carefully at the requirements (i use apple) you will need a different camera/scanner.

What I like about Skanect is that it streams the files directly to the laptop, as for itSeez3d it stores a preview first and when you have an internet connection it will up/download the full scan. To get the scan out, you can mail it or share it on Setchfab.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Thanks for the info as I'm shopping around right now for new equipment. My laptop was stolen so now I need a new one and my old tablet I sold. I'm thinking a 15" tablet PC instead of replacing both. Good to see it will work with windows 10. Hopefully I can find something good that has that intel camera built in.

It looks like with this intel camera I wouldn't even need the structure scanner.

edit : Interesting, so it's basically the same thing as the structure scanner just made by intel.

Edited by Guest

I'm using Microsoft Surface Pro with longest battery life. And i'm very surprised how powerfull this small machine.

I've heard good things about the Pro but the screen is just to small if I'm going to be using it as a laptop as well. I don't mind lugging around a larger screen if it means I don't need a laptop and a tablet. I'm surprised there isn't more stuff like that out there as the only 15 inch tablets aren't released yet. I'd think there's definitely a market for this. Looks like I may have to wait a little while.

edit : Actually I just found a few, still surprised there aren't many out there.

Edited by Guest

I both Surface pro for my son. Then I saw long battery time okay I Need this, how perfect its attachable keyboard I need this too, but small Screen move only thumb and index finger on the Screen you get what you want see and sure I need this. Now my son using my Sony Vaio 24" All in One. And I'm happy when I work with my Autodesk AutoCAD for drawing at work or just in garden read newspaper over Surface. I'm not working for Microsoft (I would like to do)

I ended up getting the Intel Realsense R200. I haven't scanned with it yet but it looks promising. They're still on pre-order on the Intel website so I consider myself lucky they shipped it out to me when they did. I have gotten it to work on Windows 10. I'll update on how it is once I make a scan with it.

We recently bought an iSense : http://www.3dsystems.com/shop/isense

Quite happy with the results tbh. We have it connected to an ipad pro. This might be an advantage because the cpu of the ipad pro is faster than all other ipads.

In the last few weeks i also read a lot about 3d scanning, hardware and the current possibilities.

First of all you should think about what extacly want / what qualitiy is your target. 500$ is a lot of money. But for 3D FullBody Scanning it is nothing. According to sobering are the results. I do not want to insult someones Setup, but for a decent 3D FullBody Scanning you need to dig deeper into your pockets.

Theoretically, you could use for 3D FullBody Scanning also a Standard DSLR camera. You'll only need 50 - 100 images from all perspectives for a Software which merge it into a good 3D model. Photoscan from Agisoft oder RealityCapture from Capturingreality can do that without problem. But the Main Problem: Except for the Pantomime, nobody can stand for 5 minutes exactly in the same position that can shoot 50 or 100 Photos from different perspectives. And in no case, if you want to scan an animal or a child.

The solution: Shoot all pictures at the same time. And here the pain begin - financially considered. You need a plenty of cameras, projectors and network stuff to shoot all pictures synchron at the same time. There are already out-of-the-box systems. The cost of them are 30'000$ and more. For example TEN24 uses around 170 pieces of DSLR cameras which synchronously photograph. 100'000 $ and more of investment. But the results are awesome (!!) in detail!

There are also Systems like Artec EVA or Einscan Handheld Scanners which are expensive (4'000 - 10'000) but they told it should be also possible to shoot 3D FullBody.

What can we do? I would suggest to build something yourself. You already heard about the Rasperry PI 3D Full Body Scanner? Well, still not cheap but - according to your wishes - you can have a full body 3D Scanner for less than 10'000$. And the results are also fantastic! And the best: You can shoot whatever you want - kids, animals, adults. Google for it

This year i will try to build up the Rasperry Version.

Good luck

Hi ssommer,

TEN24 looks impressive but also quite expensive. Do you recommend any other similar out of the box full-body capturing platform for about $50K budget?

I did a fair amount of research and have used the Sense scanner. Works fairly well, but not the detail level that I want. I purchased the agisoft software and did multiple tests and watched all of the videos. I have tried to optimize my lighting eliminated backgrounds etc.... At this point I still have not got a decent model out. I eventually set it aside out of frustration. I will get back to it when I can devote more time. There is lots of processing time depending on the number of photos. I have seen amazing things done with it, so I am hopeful that I just need to continue fiddling until I find the magic settings and setup. I will post back when I achieve results worth noting.

Depending on your budget you may want to check out full body hybrid 3D scanners such as the Twinstant Mobile: http://web.twindom.com/products/#twinstantmobile

Here are a few articles that explain the pros and cons of the most common technologies used for scanning full bodies:

http://blog.twindom.com/blog/overview-dslr-photogrammetry-3d-full-body-scanner

http://blog.twindom.com/blog/overview-turntable-based-3d-body-scanners

http://blog.twindom.com/blog/overview-hybrid-full-body-3d-scanners

http://blog.twindom.com/blog/overview-handheld-3d-scanners

I ended up getting the Intel Realsense R200.

I believe they are widely available for long time already. I have the SR300, and got it last spring. I was considering the R200 as well at that time, but Intel did not want to ship it to my country for some odd reason.

For USD99 it is a bargain, but if you are going to use the software from the SDK be aware that they are quite buggy (they have improved however) and demand a lot from the USB3 bus. The resolution is not amazing, but it does work. For the R200 there are now available quite a lot of third party software.

I have also the Occipital mobile scanner, and it perform better.