Assembly Manual: UM2+ Upgrade kit on Ultimaker Original Plus

Posted · Assembly Manual: UM2+ Upgrade kit on Ultimaker Original Plus

I'm not sure which parts are compatibled between UM2 and UMO, but in the Ultimaker Github locations you'll find the step files (3D modesl) of both UM2 and UMO, so you can check every dimension you need...

A bit strange, but the UMO file is also in the UM2 location...

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/blob/master/Assembly UM2 stepfile.STEP

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/blob/master/Total UMOr.STEP

image.thumb.png.040b02c0a00283916d5e2fb395fd143d.png

Most CAD programs open .step files , you can use f.e. Fusion360, or DesignSpark Mechanical.

I completely changed the hotend and sliders on my umo+ and it all works fine. You need the pulleys, belts and slider blocks. Also you need to replositon the limit switches as the axis are rotated by 90 degrees. You don’t need to print a new top to the UM2+ hot end if you upgrade the sliders and pulleys. I’ll take some photos when I get back from holiday in 2 weeks. I’m probably forgetting some stuff sorry, but it definitely works and you basically end up with a wooden UM2+

I ordered the Upgrade Kit with the Hotend, the pulleys, the belts and the slider blocks from the UM2 today. I hope they`ll arrive soon.

Do you change the Firmware from the UMO+ to the Firmware from the UM2+ or any custom Firmware or can i use the Umo+ Firmware in the Future?

On 12/31/2018 at 11:01 PM, mr_go_man said:

Also you need to replositon the limit switches as the axis are rotated by 90 degrees. You don’t need to print a new top to the UM2+ hot end if you upgrade the sliders and pulleys.

If you print the rotated top there is no need to reposition the switches. Ofc that works too, but imo it is easier to replace the plastic top.

5 hours ago, Koppapot said:

Do you change the Firmware from the UMO+ to the Firmware from the UM2+ or any custom Firmware or can i use the Umo+ Firmware in the Future?

Get the UMO(+) firmware from @amedee, configure the options you want on the website and it will build a new custom firmware for you:

https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/

As for slide blocks, I can recommend these:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2353849

They allow you to utilize a bit more build volume, and you can easily adjust the belt tension.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 11:01 PM, mr_go_man said:

I completely changed the hotend and sliders on my umo+ and it all works fine. You need the pulleys, belts and slider blocks. Also you need to replositon the limit switches as the axis are rotated by 90 degrees. You don’t need to print a new top to the UM2+ hot end if you upgrade the sliders and pulleys. I’ll take some photos when I get back from holiday in 2 weeks. I’m probably forgetting some stuff sorry, but it definitely works and you basically end up with a wooden UM2+

Ok, I get my Order today and upgrade my Ultimaker Original Plus with the Olson Block, the pulley, the slider blocks and the feeder from the UM2+. But the Printer doesnt work. The Steppers are death, he is`nt moving, X,Y,Z nothing. 

The Hot End is Heating very fast but he doesnt move. At First i tryed to changed the Firmware like in the Pictures an than different Firmwares too. But nothing helps. Whats the problem?