How to set IP address without WiFi or DHCP

Nooger

Posted · How to set IP address without WiFi or DHCP

I want to connect the Ultimaker 3 to our LAN at work, however we use static IP addresses only - the server doesn't use DHCP, and there is no WiFi available (for security reasons).

Is it possible to configure the IP address, Subnet mask, and Gateway info on the Ultimaker 3 manually?

My best guess would be this approach (but I don't have a UM3 to test):

* Turn on developer mode

* Start the WiFi wizard, which makes the UM3 into a WiFi hotspot

* Connect to the WiFi hotspot of the UM3, but don't complete the wizard

* Figure out the IP address of the UM3 in its own network (which should be the default gateway as handed out to your computer)

* SSH into the UM3 at that address

* Edit the eth0 interface in /etc/network/interfaces to a static IP

* Cancel out of the WiFi hotspot mode and disable WiFi

* Turn off developer mode

Doable: yes. Easy. Not so much.

Thanks for the help ahoeben, but it didn't work.

I've included the following line to the interfaces file:

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static

address 192.168.0.26

netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.0.254

.. but when the ultimaker starts up it just assigns itself some random ip address.

The eth0 is now active, (wifi disabled) but not with the above ip address.

I'm new to linux networking, so maybe I am missing something.

Any ideas anyone?

• 2 months later...

Changeing the interface file didn't work for me as well.

My simple solution was to edit the /etc/rc.local and add these lines.

To overwrite the current IP address:

sleep 100

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.123 netmask 255.255.255.0

route add default gw 192.168.1.1 eth0

The 100 sec sleep is because the search for DHCP IP needs to be finish before the IP "overwrite" can be done.

the RC.LOCAL will be executed every restart of the Ultimaker3

We have a similar problem at my company. Our wlan hotspot needs a username and password and our ethernet needs a different gateway which i can't change :/

my linux skills are pretty low so i'am a bit afraid of changing anything in the developer mode.

Maybe someone can write a step by step guide?

Or is there a way to use the wlan with username+password?

Thank you guys!!!

The interfaces file won't work. The rc.local option will most likely fail as well.

We are using "connman" to configure the network. So here are some tips:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/60242

In the future we want to provide some better support for static configuration, as this request is more common then expected. (Shame on the IT infastructure providers of the world)

• Like 2

Thank you for your reply Daid! Could you write a short tutorial how to change the gateway? And if possible how to setup the service? We need the printer on the network else we can't really use it :/

Thank you very much!!

Come on guys, there must be a solution or work around to get the printer to the network, please help me out :-)

Posted (edited) · How to set IP address without WiFi or DHCP

Not to sound harsh, but I rather work on the solution so this works for everyone. (I'm the guy in charge of firmware at Ultimaker)

Got a few questions, the setup you need, is that static IP configuration on the cabled connection, static IP configuration on the WiFi connection.

Or, even dynamic configuration with a static gateway? And then on WiFi or LAN?

(Maybe you have some IT instructions that you can copy&paste without passwords)

I'm asking these questions to make sure we build the new static configuration feature in a way that it can support your network configuration. As it is a bit unclear to me what exact needs you have.

Edited by Guest

Thank you for your reply. We have DHCP on the cabled network. The Printer gets an IP (which is fine) but it gets a gateway which needs to be changed so the printer is in the right Network.

If i could make everything static it would be fine.

IP: 10.45.4.170

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 10.45.10.253

Our wlan hotspot needs a username and a password to log in.

Like:

Username: logmein

Password: test123

Hope you understand what I mean :)

Thanks for your Help!

Edited by Guest

I too would like to lock the Ultimaker IP address. How would it make it static to always be 172.16.1.40?

Thanks,

B

The um3 has 2 ip addresses. One for wired. And one for wireless. I assume you mean the wired one?

The um3 has 2 ip addresses.  One for wired.  And one for wireless.  I assume you mean the wired one?

I think the UM3 has 2 MAC addresses : wifi interface and RJ45 interface. The UM3 can be connected to only one, with one IP address.

Technically, it could connect to two. We had this in early versions. However, it caused various difficulties related to the WiFi connection. So we software switch to one or the other.

I would like to set a static ip/netmask/gateway on the cabled connection.

The best way, is to be able to set the static IP, the same way you do for a computer.

I don't know if the firmware is capable to do so.

But only if you want to.

For example my UM3 had choose 192.168.1.6 (ok for me)

Edited by Guest

You can setup a static IP. One way is to put the um3 in developer mode, ssh into the printer, and you are now in a linux environment. Using google you can learn how to setup the ip address. I suspect you want to read about connman but not certain.

Not to sound harsh, but I rather work on the solution so this works for everyone. (I'm the guy in charge of firmware at Ultimaker)

Got a few questions, the setup you need, is that static IP configuration on the cabled connection, static IP configuration on the WiFi connection.

Or, even dynamic configuration with a static gateway? And then on WiFi or LAN?

(Maybe you have some IT instructions that you can copy&paste without passwords)

I'm asking these questions to make sure we build the new static configuration feature in a way that it can support your network configuration. As it is a bit unclear to me what exact needs you have.

Hi @Daid,

My suggestion is to use the same network settings procedure as regular printers (paper and ink). Having a printer on the network has been solved long ago. Usually, IT guys know how to make their network settings ready to support regular printers on it.

Most of the time, the IT guys use the MAC address of the machines and have the routers give out fixed IP addresses based on those MAC addresses.

That's actually the easiest way.

Because, uhm... I just for the fun of it, tried to set a fixed IP for my 2 networkprinters, a mobile phone and a ziggo box.

I quickly resorted to map a MAC to an IP address in my router...

I just used this procedure to edit rc.local and it did work. It takes a few minutes for the IP address to change to the static IP I configured, but it does work consistently. I may experiment with shortening the sleep time. When I get some more time, I may try the connman approach.

Stephen Barner

So Burlington High School, Vermont

The interfaces file won't work. The rc.local option will most likely fail as well.

We are using "connman" to configure the network. So here are some tips:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/60242

In the future we want to provide some better support for static configuration, as this request is more common then expected. (Shame on the IT infastructure providers of the world)

On 2/28/2017 at 10:00 AM, Daid said:

I'm the guy in charge of firmware at Ultimaker

...so if I may give you a suggestion, let IT personnel do their job and implement an easier way to set and protect a static IP in the firmware. Nothing wrong with the SSH and connman for me, but somebody with less linux experience could be in trouble and normally people dealing with design are not linux experts (nobody is questioning why you use connman instead of /etc/network/interfaces so please do not question why we prefer to have printers on static IPs outside the DHCP area).

Here the full guide for anybody who might need it:

1. on the printer panel enable developer mode (printer restart needed)
    2. SSH to the printer (default credentials would be root/ultimaker)

$ connmanctl services

and note the name of the interface that must be configured (remember: the machine has 2 network interfaces): from now on that will be the <service> (no "<" or ">" needed, just the service/interface name which will look like ethernet_<MAC_ADDR>_cable for the wired one, the other one I didn't have time to check )

$ connmanctl config <service> --ipv4 manual <IP address> <netmask> <gateway>

at this point the SSH connection will be broken because the printer switches immediately to the new IP so verify if everything went fine and

5. on the printer panel disable developer mode

just in case you want to re-enable DHCP the command is:

$ connmanctl config <service> --ipv4 dhcp

Edited by freesbee
    • Like 4

6 hours ago, freesbee said:

...so if I may give you a suggestion, let IT personnel do their job and implement an easier way to set and protect a static IP in the firmware. Nothing wrong with the SSH and connman for me, but somebody with less linux experience could be in trouble and normally people dealing with design are not linux experts (nobody is questioning why you use connman instead of /etc/network/interfaces so please do not question why we prefer to have printers on static IPs outside the DHCP area).

It's on the list to have a good static-ip-configuration option, there is just no priority on it, so other things get pushed above it. I don't like it that you need to use the connman commandline way, trust me. I'm not seeing the current ssh-to-connman "solution" is actually a solution to the static IP issue. It's an ugly workaround at best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daid said:

It's on the list to have a good static-ip-configuration option, there is just no priority on it, so other things get pushed above it.

Make a forum were your users can propose ideas and a voting mechanism for each idea (or "kudos" if you prefer to call them that way).

It won't take very long to figure out which ideas have more votes/kudos, and will help you in prioritizing your tasks quite efficiently.

2 hints in one day.... ?... maybe too much...

• Like 1

Here the full guide for anybody who might need it:

Edited July 24, 2018 by freesbee

I finally gotround to settings a static IP to my first of 2 Ultimaker S5s (the other one is currently printing).  

The process was super easy and I do not really see any issue with it.  I know there is a lot discussion of why to set a static and then why we have do it using the way mentioned, but as long as everyone accepts my reasoning for wanting static, then I am willing to accept this method to do it.

Personally I had not problems or fears using this method and it appears to have worked fine.  I also only have a rudimentary knowledge of linux but did know how to use SSH so I had no problem.  I even changed a slaved cura connect printer and the host re-recognized it with the new IP (I am guessing by Mac).

Thanks!