Print core is taking too long to heat up

Lidia

Posted · Print core is taking too long to heat up

Hi!

Has somebody have the same issue "Print core is taking too long to heat up"? Do you have an idea, how to solve it?

Greetings,

Lidia

Which printer is this? Please set your profile settings to include which printer(s) you have.

Check to see if the heater is working at all. Go to heat it up from the menu (again, what printer do you have) then look at it. Typically room temp is 20C to 25C. Then tell it to go to 100C and watch to see if it gets only up to say 50C or if it basically never goes above room temp.

I suspect it never goes above room temp which means probably a loose wire somewhere. Please supply more information.

She said "core", can only be UM3.

Take the core out and check the connections both on the core and inside the head, do they look clean and undamaged?

Take a look at the small wires on the back. Tug on them lightly and see that they are attached to the PCB.

Hi guys! it is an Ultimaker 3 extended

It starts to print, but after few layers stops with the message:"Print core is taking too long to heat up"

thank you for advice, i will try it out!

Use the PrintCore heater diagnostics test: System -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Heater Sensor test

Hello! I have done the diagnistic and it seems to be ok, but by the next print I have got the same message...5a333cc951e60_IMG_20170706_1438071.thumb.jpg.58b430c0de100a7cb8d892d95133d8d2.jpg

5a333cc951e60_IMG_20170706_1438071.thumb.jpg.58b430c0de100a7cb8d892d95133d8d2.jpg

She said "core", can only be UM3.

Take the core out and check the connections both on the core and inside the head, do they look clean and undamaged?

Take a look at the small wires on the back. Tug on them lightly and see that they are attached to the PCB.

Hi!

unfortunately it didn't work as well, I checked the connections, they seem to be ok... I have replaced the print cores (AA into the slot 2) and now it works, however I don't use the second print core any more. I think it is something wrong with the print head, how could I test it?

5a333cca0f4a0_IMG_20170706_1445031.thumb.jpg.a189d2e50de1ff6d1eb77bfee5964b62.jpg5a333cc9a90b1_IMG_20170706_1445091.thumb.jpg.d9bc6b8f03e84872da42b2f63f8be229.jpg

5a333cca0f4a0_IMG_20170706_1445031.thumb.jpg.a189d2e50de1ff6d1eb77bfee5964b62.jpg

5a333cc9a90b1_IMG_20170706_1445091.thumb.jpg.d9bc6b8f03e84872da42b2f63f8be229.jpg

Posted (edited) · Print core is taking too long to heat up

Well if it works after you put in a different core, I guess it's an issue with the core and not the printer.

I don't know what the printer diagnostics tool checks (only pt100?) but if you have a multi-meter you can quickly check the temp sensor (pt100) and the heater.

results should be as below, the pt100 reads 108ohm at room temp, so it may be like 110 now it's summer....

coretest.thumb.png.4b31e2a01160d742957e0e068405227a.png

edit: checked a few more core's, had a variance on the heater between 24,5 and 26,1 ohm

coretest.thumb.png.4b31e2a01160d742957e0e068405227a.png

Edited by Guest

heater reading anything from 19 ohms to 30 ohms is close enough to not get any errors. But the heater is more likely where your problem is.

Pure lead melts around 250C and typical solder melts closer to 200C so they can't use solder when they build these heaters. Instead they are crimped. When they heat up to 200C the different metals expand at different rates. A small percentage of the heaters work fine <100C but somewhere between 100C and 220C they fail and you get the mentioned error. More commonly the heater doesn't work at all.

I think if your "good" core works fine in both slots then you've probably correctly diagnosed it to a bad core and should ask your reseller for a replacement. If more than one core fails in the same slot then I'd say you are right that the printer itself is bad and in this case you should ALSO contact your reseller.

• Like 1

Dear Sir

Take the core out and check the connections of core and check the PCB board connections, then place the cores then it will work fine other wise Try to Update firmware.

I am wondering what ever happened with this and if the problem was fixed.

I am having the same problem, except it is with both print cores (they are less than a month old). I first got this error for only one of the print cores, but subsequently i have gotten the error 3 more times and it says cores 1-2. I can only imagine it's something with the printer at this point.

I am wondering what ever happened with this and if the problem was fixed.

I am having the same problem, except it is with both print cores (they are less than a month old).   I first got this error for only one of the print cores, but subsequently i have gotten the error 3 more times and it says cores 1-2.  I can only imagine it's something with the printer at this point.

Is your white silicone shield still in place and intact at the bottom of the printhead? If it's missing, the printer is going to have hard time maintaining the needed heat for the Cores.

• Like 1

@rpierce - go to the menu system into the heater cores section and set the temp to say 100C and see if it starts climbing or just sits there below 25C (room temp). We need a bit more information. If the heater is totally broken then that would explain a lot.

Also when you put the cores in make sure you push firmly. The clear part at the top should kind of snap in and up.

It seems strange that both heaters would fail. It could be that the 24V signal on your white PCB is bad. There is a relay on there and if the relay fails (relays commonly fail) then that would mean everything would work including sensors but heat and servos would not. You wouldn't be able to home the head either without 24V on the white PCB.

@rpierce - go to the menu system into the heater cores section and set the temp to say 100C and see if it starts climbing or just sits there below 25C (room temp).  We need a bit more information.  If the heater is totally broken then that would explain a lot.

Also when you put the cores in make sure you push firmly.  The clear part at the top should kind of snap in and up.

It seems strange that both heaters would fail.  It could be that the 24V signal on your white PCB is bad.  There is a relay on there and if the relay fails (relays commonly fail) then that would mean everything would work including sensors but heat and servos would not.  You wouldn't be able to home the head either without 24V on the white PCB.

I'll try that, but in this process I've been unloading and loading filament and it's been getting up to temperature fine.

When i do the heater sensor test in the menu it fails sometimes and passes sometimes. delta T values around 15-16 degrees each time when it passes, sometimes one of them is 13 and lists as a fail.

The head homes just fine, but for the past 7 prints I've started it gives me this error and kills the print. The first time it happened was 20 hours into a 25 hour print. The times after that have been almost immediately.

The silicone flaps under the filament are intact, but the one around print core 1's nozzle is a little burnt after my issue with the cooling fan breaking off a blade and jamming.

hOw2imt.jpg

Note that this error happens if it takes more then 10 minutes to reach the target temperature of a hotend.

When this happens, I'm interested in the following data:

* Which material is being used to print?

* How often does it happen?

* The log files (from the diagnostics menu) as these should contain data about the heatup process.

This will help in diagnosing if this is a software or hardware problem.

I will dump the log files onto the USB. This is with using two AA cores printing in Ultimaker Black ABS and MatterHackers HIPS as a support material.

This hasn't happened until late last week and now every print since then has ended in this error (approx 7 attempts total). I'm not even sure if the print gets to 10 minutes into the print before it fails anymore. Rarely, (maybe 4-5 times in the past few months), I would get an error communicating with print head message and once the machine was restarted it would work fine again. This new error, however, is pretty consistent.

I will dump the log files onto the USB. This is with using two AA cores printing in Ultimaker Black ABS and MatterHackers HIPS as a support material.

This hasn't happened until late last week and now every print since then has ended in this error (approx 7 attempts total). I'm not even sure if the print gets to 10 minutes into the print before it fails anymore. Rarely, (maybe 4-5 times in the past few months), I would get an error communicating with print head message and once the machine was restarted it would work fine again. This new error, however, is pretty consistent.

I don't know if you can try this or not. But I had this error after toying with the printhead, and the fix for me was to unscrew 1/4 the screw that holds the little board where the cores contact (behind the printhead bellow the bearing there's a screw) because I did overtight it a bit when I reassembled it. Just in case it helps.

• Like 2

I don't know if you can try this or not. But I had this error after toying with the printhead, and the fix for me was to unscrew 1/4 the screw that holds the little board where the cores contact (behind the printhead bellow the bearing there's a screw) because I did overtight it a bit when I reassembled it.  Just in case it helps.

That's bizarre, slightly loosening that screw seems to have made a difference. I'm an hour into printing right now with no errors yet. I recently changed the fan but I never touched that particular screw on the print head. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'll report back with the results.

• Like 1

And here I didn't realize you could even start a print - I just assumed you got the error because the cores were still cold after a few minutes :O

I was wondering if loosening the screws helped. I'm having the exact same symptoms as you and was hoping to find a way to do some prints while i wait for support to figure out what they're gonna do.

@pa9k - so your symptom is that it heats up just fine? Gets up to temperature? but then minutes later (or hours later) you get a temperature error on the nozzle? (not the bed?)

Is this a brand new um3? I just got a few brand new um3 cores this week and I noticed that the heater in one of the cores is 22W instead of the usual 25W. Maybe I should check the other cores as well. Although I suppose I really doubt that could make any difference with a .4mm nozzle. Was this a 0.8mm core by any chance pa9k?

Posted (edited) · Print core is taking too long to heat up

Hi @gr5  (new here so hope this is actually how you tag people)

That is correct. I don't mean to hijack this thread but maybe OP can find this info useful. After working with FBRC8 on this they suspect that the issue was caused by running faster print speeds and larger layer heights. I was printing at 80mm/s and 0.3 layers on the 0.4 nozzle. They suggested I up my temp by 5-10°. I have upped the temp 10° (from 205 to 215 for PLA) and so far (three hours in) so good but I'm not going to say it's fixed yet because before it was an intermittent problem.

I will be doing a lot more printing in the next couple days with PLA and Nylon (Taulman BluPrint) and I guess we'll see if raising the temp fixed the issue or not.

Edit: Forgot to mention that we have had this printer for about 6 or 7 months and are still using the original print cores.

Edited by Guest

I'm not convinced that the 22W heater can't keep up. But I wouldn't be surprised either. 3dsolex hardcores are 30W so you could try that as well and let us know (disclaimer - I sell 3dsolex cores in USA).

Die Diagnose sagt. Alles ok