Looking for beta testers.

Daid

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Looking for beta testers.

I printed the Parametric Tardis from the link below and had a couple of issues with 13.05.2 / 13.06, in comparison to 13.04. Using the same settings, version 13.04 is the only version to properly do the thin wall light on the top. I created my own object stl with just the roof w/ light and tried it on all three version with multiple settings changes. Again even after that 13.04 was the only version to do the light.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13109

Thanks

How do I get Cura to print an object at a time? Is this something missing from the beta or is it hidden somewhere?

Right click on your part and click multiply. You can move and rotate the parts separately now and Cura slices one after the other

I printed the Parametric Tardis from the link below and had a couple of issues with 13.05.2 / 13.06, in comparison to 13.04. Using the same settings, version 13.04 is the only version to properly do the thin wall light on the top. I created my own object stl with just the roof w/ light and tried it on all three version with multiple settings changes. Again even after that 13.04 was the only version to do the light.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13109

Thanks

The odd thing is, the speeds used for the light at the top are the same for both versions. The difference is that the 13.04 doesn't try to fill up the thin walls. Which is most likely what is causing some visual difference.

I keep my (Well, my work's) Ultimaker running every day!

I use Cura daily and would love to help test the latest version(s). I am also a software engineer, so I understand the development process.

If possible, I'd also like to test out ways to run Cura & print from the command-line.

Thanks!

Perlguy

Commandline slicing is broken in the beta. But I've fixed it for the next version. Commandline printing is not something I support, but PrintRuns "printcore" can do this.

The new engine is also a commandline engine, but the engine itself is a bit harder to use then calling it trough the gui. (it has a lot of parameters and no documentation yet)

im happily using the new beta version of Cura and have had no problems but last night i notices some thing a little strange.

I wanted to turn off all retraction on a new model i wanted printed. I clicked turn off retraction and then did my new gcode. put it into my ulticontroller and straight away retraction kicked in... ? i tried this a few times thinking I was missing something ... ?

is retraction set to always on now with the new beta cura ?

i used a older version with retraction turned off and it worked perfect.

any ideas guys ?

Ian :-)

Be sure to use the 13.06 beta, there was a but in the retraction checkbox where it did not work. Disabling the box sets the retraction distance to 0 in the engine, so it cannot retract if that box is not ticked, but it was broken for almost all versions of the beta.

ohh thanks David ! :-) I was using 13 05 on my computer and was scratching my head what I was doing wrong ??

So ill install the new new version on Monday, dont have much time now, getting a VIP guest for the weekend :-)

Have a great weekend David ! big hugs.

Ian :-)

Monday the next release will be out ;-) so grab that one. I solved a few more small issues.

where can i find 13.06? I am running 13.05.x right now

I only made the 13.06 version for windows (at the same location as the rest). It was a quick build because we needed some fixes for Dual extrusion internally.

I have been using the beta for a bit now. The slicing speed improvement is amazing, no question about that. But on the other hand the software is very laggy in general, it keeps freezing for a second or two for every single action I make whether it's changing a value or just navigating in the viewport. This was not the case in previous releases. At first I thought it was because the model I was using was too heavy, but it also happens with small models or even when there is no model at all. I'll keep using that one over the others, but I was wondering if I was the only one experiencing that. I run 13.06 on windows vista 64bit

This has been discussed above. It has to do with how long it takes to redraw the gcode. It has more to do with your graphics card than anything else. It should be fixed in the latest beta.

Just to keep you guys in the loop. I've been fixing some small things like:

- Overhang display didn't always work right.

- USB Webcam timelaps recording was broken

- Start menu shortcuts where not always created on windows

- Auto scale down objects that are larger then 150% of the bed to 150% so you can see them properly. You still need to scale them down before you can print them (if I scale them down to bed size you won't know that they are scaled by software, as I keep them too large I still force you to take action on the scale)

- Better looking progress bar

- Fixed some memory issues where it used a lot of memory for no good reason

- Made the amount of retraction with dual-extrusion configurable

- Slightly adjusted the combing code so it works in some corner cases (= less retractions)

- Updated the packaging scripts so I can do "single button" releases again. For these betas I had to do some extra steps to get working versions. Just internal stuff for myself, but it gives less chance for mistakes on release.

I've also wrote down a manual on "first use of Cura", "full settings" and some other things. I still want to write some stuff on "how to improve prints" which highlights some first things you want to play with to improve your prints, instead of diving into all the settings. (this manual will replace the wiki Cura manual, and the github pages manual)

Ok I think I found a bug, I don't know if it has been reported yet, but here it is, I attached a video for you to see.

I used cura 13.06 to slice this one.

I'm printing the legs of a character, turned upside down. Because I'm kinda in a hurry (this is for a gift) I used cura's supports instead of building my own like I usually do.

During the printing, I noticed an unusual amount a stringing while I have retraction turned on, and I'm not using a very high temperature (210). I have printed models with much more retraction involved and very little to almost no stringing.

For a sec I thought maybe I forgot to enable retraction, but I can hear the retraction noise.

So I observed the pattern of the head and paid close attention to when the retraction happened, and I notice something: It does not retract when moving from the support located on the left side of the object to the support on the right side. Problem is, the object is right between the two. However it retracts correctly when moving from the support on the right to the leg on the right and from the leg on the right to the leg on the left. So I'm wondering, does cura check if retraction is necessary when moving between supports?

Look at the video and listen to the retraction. Sorry, I filmed with my phone

retaction bug

Sorry if this has been reported before

EDIT: Another problem that I noticed only since I have been using the beta: when the printer automatically slows down when the area get smaller at the end of a print (like the top of a sphere), it does not adjust the flow rate too, and it creates big blobs of PLA

I want to print two models in one run but I don't want cura to start the second model until the first model is done. The old cura could do this in project planner.

Can the new cura do this?

I notice that there is only a start and end gcode setting whereas older Cura had two for project planner so I'm thinking "no".

Hey Daid, I'm trying to print 4 items with 13.06 and can't find the old option to print all items together (versus one at a time).

Thanks,

Lars

Still seeing what I feel is unnecessary movement in the tool path. It seems to look ahead at what will be happening in subsequent layers to determine the strategy. Maybe at lower infill densities it makes sense to do solid infill underneath what will be exposed surface, but at 100% infill (and likely 75% and up), it creates a lot of unneeded movement. In cases where it is necessary, having those paths run parallel to the longer dimension would be nice. This would prevent the ugly surface caused by rapid zig-zags.

This isn't the best example, but you can see it a bit. Some layers were really bad.

A little better example:

Could we get a flow rate multiplier for infill moves, pretty please? :)

I love having the separation of print speeds between perimeter and infill (thank you!). I'm finding that I tend to see under extrusion on infill moves (especially at lower densities). Right now I'm printing at 50 mm/s on perimeters and 100 on infills, at 100% density. Even when tuning the Ulticontroller flow override so that the perimeters are slighty over-extruded, the infill shows under-extrusion and incomplete bonding between passes.

Thanks Daid