Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Daid

Looking for beta testers.

As I've noted in other topics. I've been working hard on a next-generation of Cura. Which is faster, more userfriendly, and with fixes for some of the slicing issues.

Now this version isn't fully ready yet. But I do think it's ready for some closed beta testing. As I can never try everything and I could use the feedback and possible bugs from other users. I've already done some internal Ultimaker testing, which helped in finding some nasty bugs. I've been doing all my personal prints with this new code for the last month and a half, which ironed out a lot of bugs.

So now it's your turn. I'm looking for you to test this new piece of awesomeness. I'm looking for dedicated Ultimaker users who are willing to use the next-generation Cura and help discover those last bugs. Do a lot of test prints, and be honest about what is good and what is bad.

So? Are you up to the task? Then post a message in this topic. I'm looking for both experienced and inexperienced users.

I have just time for testing cura. :)

BTW

My operating system is Windows7 64bit and i take OctoPrint on raspberryPi to control my UM.

I work also with the very fast Kisslicer.

I have the UM remodeled with direct drive rear left, other fan and heatbed.

It runs a modified Marlin firmware.

Umbau 1

Umbau 2

Umbau 3

I'll contact people individually with details. I'll start out with contacting some regular Ultimaker users, so don't be alarmed if you don't get a message just yet. As I will grow the testing group over time.

I noticed a problem with USB printing on Monday, so that's something I wanted to fix first before sending out the first beta version.

Would love to test this...qualified as "beginner"...

I'd also like to say I find it awesome what has happened on the software side in the last months and years.

Today I can model sculpt and design with free software, slice with free software and print with free soft-and firmware. Without all the thousands of man hours you coding wizards have put into these projects, machines like the ultimaker would only be pieces of wood and metal. And all of this can be used by guys like me who are basically artists without much in depth knowledge of the bits and bytes. Thank you for your work and for making these great tools available for us!

There are 13 thermistor options... kinda hard to build them all. The firmware coming with this beta is the same as in 13.03

(I'm sending out a few invites for the beta today, so check your private message inbox on the forum)

Gave it a quick test just now. I can't seem to get it to run on my main computer but it does start up on my laptop. What kind of info do you need in addition to the following?

Win7 (freshly updated)

Intel i7 920

ASUS Radeon HD 4890 (the drivers here are old but I'm not keen on updating as it breaks another program I'm using)

6gigs of RAM

Tried installing, uninstalling, re-installing, rebooting and uninstalling the previous version of Cura I had on there (13.03 which worked fine).

When starting it I get the splash screen but then it just sits there until I click on it at which point it disappears and nothing more happens. The only process I can see starting up is pythonw.exe sitting steady at 36megs of RAM and no CPU usage until I click the splash and it disappears.

I initially uploaded a wrong build which didn't work, so you might have that file, did you try downloading it again?

Else, Cura generates an output.txt in the installation directory. The contents of this file might give me a hint. (it it says something about "sliceRun" then you have the broken build)