Welcome to Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Stable

SandervG

Posted · Welcome to Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Stable
On 09/02/2018 at 8:31 PM, VULCAN said:

If you are so rad. Ask your beard.

@VULCAN My beard is telling me that you have not read our hourse rules and are pretty offensive to everyone who is trying to help you. Your next comment will decide if you will continue to be able to use this community for future use or will be blocked. Thank you for understanding. 

42 minutes ago, SandervG said:

@VULCAN My beard is telling me that you have not read our hourse rules and are pretty offensive to everyone who is trying to help you. Your next comment will decide if you will continue to be able to use this community for future use or will be blocked. Thank you for understanding. 

Oh man....did I misunderstand the comment LOL!! I thought he was using the term 'beard' in a homophobic way. LOL!! I am such a doof.....Back to the dog pound fer me.....

Hey Everyone, I added a youtube video to my original post where one of our Cura experts explains the new features of Ultimaker Cura. Regardless if you gave Cura 3.2 a chance already, it may be an interesting video to watch. This video was originally meant for the Beta (which is mentioned a few times), but discussed content applies on the stable version too)

We plan to make a new similar video for our community every release now, let us know if this is helpful. 

• Like 1

It is such a shame that this video *again* fails to mention a number of features that can really benefit users while wasting time on things that are totally unnecessary to even mention.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2018 at 12:56 PM, SandervG said:

- deleted -

5 minutes ago, VULCAN said:

"pissyland" this guy gets voted up and I get threatened to be kicked because this guy is helpful? Lol. Good luck in your mom's basement kjamstudios. . 

I don't know what specific problem you have, but your behavior does not fit into this forum, so PLEASE. GO. AWAY. Thank you.

Posted (edited) · Welcome to Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Stable
    32 minutes ago, VULCAN said:

don't know what specific problem you have, but your behavior does not fit into this forum, so PLEASE. GO. AWAY. Thank you. Human

THIS is precisely my problem.. soft skinned people chiming in with NO SOLUTIONS for NO Reason. So much ego sensitivity here and not enough actual answers. OBVIOUSLY I am not the only person who finds this build not so stable, so look what is happening before calling me out. Then maybe I won't spit venom back at you defending myself.. which apparently is too raw for the softies. Stop asking for a fight and I won't give you one.

looking for ACTUAL answers.. not snide replies.  Then I would gladly be the soft voice you need. 

Edited by VULCAN

Dear Mr. VULCAN,

1. Please realize that you are talking to a community of users here, not to your paid support staff.
    2. I understand that you asked a question and you don't like our answers.
    3. No one guarantees and no one awaits an immediate solution to his very specific problem here.
    4. But the community tried at least to figure out what you're talking about.
    5. And as far as i can see is Mr. VULCAN the only person here that is uncivil all the time.
    6. And now: please go away and ask someone else.

End of message.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SandervG said:

Your next comment will decide if you will continue to be able to use this community for future use or will be blocked

Ok, bye.

Sorry guys for the inconvenience. Let's get back on topic. 

• Like 1
    • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ahoeben said:

It is such a shame that this video *again* fails to mention a number of features that can really benefit users while wasting time on things that are totally unnecessary to even mention.

Hi Aldo, it could be that the video was already made before you recently reminded us about a feature that we should include in our blog. A lot of features are usually introduced with a new version of Cura and I don't think we can cover them all. So a selection has to be made. Which of the new features do you miss? Any suggestions how we can make a better next video?

my 2 cents;

Think it would be good to distinguish between the purpose of the video's.

With a new release I would like a short snappy video quickly showing the new features, max a few minutes, like a commercial.

Besides that i like videos teaching the use of features, in depth, but always specific for only one feature.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ultiarjan said:

my 2 cents;

Think it would be good to distinguish between the purpose of the video's.

With a new release I would like a short snappy video quickly showing the new features, max a few minutes, like a commercial.

Besides that i like videos teaching the use of features, in depth, but always specific for only one feature.

+1

For the snappy quick overview of new features, doesn't the blog, forum post and release notes suffice? The purpose of the video would be to explain more in depth (and also show) what features can do and how they work with some more background knowledge and context. 

44 minutes ago, SandervG said:

For the snappy quick overview of new features, doesn't the blog, forum post and release notes suffice? The purpose of the video would be to explain more in depth (and also show) what features can do and how they work with some more background knowledge and context. 

I think it has more to do with a conditioned response on absorbing certain types of information.

10 hours ago, SandervG said:

I think that they could complement each other...the blog post is good...but it is not always easy to understand through text what something really does.

There a short "commercial" style video would be great...you mention the features while you show what they actually do :)

And then of course you can refer to more in-depth videos that goes through all that it can do.

Yes, it comes with additional cost for creating such a video...but I think it will payback itself.

12 hours ago, SandervG said:

Which of the new features do you miss? Any suggestions how we can make a better next video?

The part that I took offense with is the line "these are the new features of Ultimaker Cura 3.2". No, there are more features. I have already mentioned the mesh types in a previous reply. I don't want to sound "butthurt" (excusez le mot) that "my" feature is not in the video, but it is something that really makes an awesome part of Cura lots more useable and if it does not get mentioned in a video like this it will go unnoticed. Another thing I worked on is the improved heatup sequence for multi-extruder printers, as well as improved replacement patterns for multi-extruder printers. Those are not as exciting to show in a video, but still more interesting than showing that an extruder dropdown is now styled. I am also fairly certain that @smartavionics contributed many improvements and features in 3.2 that will go unnoticed (and, as a result, unused and untested) without a mention in documents like this.

If a video is made to show highlights only, that's fine too. But then make sure to show only highlights, and don't end by stating or implying that this is all that has been changed/added.

• Like 2

Hi @ahoeben, I think the truth of the matter is that Cura releases (and the associated blurb) are entirely marketing driven and not engineering driven. The fact that you (or I) make some useful bug fix or feature addition that isn't "sexy" like adaptive layers or tree support means that it goes straight under the marketeers radar. I am not bitter about this (really, no) but I do think that the users are getting sold short here. I've already had my rant about Cura releases (LTS, etc.) and I still think the current way that Cura releases are pushed out with half-baked sexy features rather than fixes to the long term existing problems is really piss poor.

• Like 2

A major part of my point is that even if it is marketing driven, they are missing out on marketing opportunities by not mentioning contributed work.

• Like 2

@ahoeben, I believe this video was made before you informed us that we overlooked your (indeed) valuable contribution of mesh types. We acknowledged this should have been there from the start. The purpose of these lengthier video's is to inform users, in a more elaborate way than the short description new features usually get in a typical blog. It is not considered promotional in that regard. 

How about this, I just talked with Jeroen who made the video, during the next beta phase you can tag me in that Beta thread with a request for a certain feature to be explained in this video. As a starting point you have the forum/blog post and the software itself to base your requests on.

I will share these requests with Jeroen and he will try to cover questions/features that were requested, alongside other input we get left and right. The scope of these video's is to make them 10-15min so if it there would be too much we have to prioritize what will end up in there. 

We can give this a try next release, see how it goes and go from there?

Oh, and for whoever is interested; I understood that the problem our dear Vulcan was dealing with was most likely a third party printer profile with incorrect values that caused the error. At one point a screenshot was shared with 'Backup and reset configuration', this should have prompted Cura to remove all third party machine profiles and reload them according to the latest profiles. Supposedly, this should have fixed it. So, if someone runs into a similar issue, please give this a try :) 

2 hours ago, SandervG said:

this should have prompted Cura to remove all third party machine profiles and reload them according to the latest profiles. Supposedly, this should have fixed it. So, if someone runs into a similar issue, please give this a try :) 

This likely would have fixed the problem, though it is a lot like "throwing out the baby with the bathwater". It is a (drastic) workaround, not a solution.

2 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

It is a (drastic) workaround, not a solution.

The button is right there, in the menu. It is what I understood as a recommended action. What would you suggest otherwise, as a more subtle solution? 

The suggested solution removes any and all previous configuration, including all carefully made profiles a user may have. It could be that surgically removing a single part of the configuration also fixes the crash, and keeps the profiles in place. Surgically removing that bit takes knowledge of how Cura works though, so I understand there's only a button to remove the entire configuration instead. It is just not something I would like to "recommend".

hi 

I tested the cura.exe (3.2.1) on the virustotal and indicated it. why is it unsafe?

virustotal.png