Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.4 | Beta

SandervG

Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.4 | Beta
20 hours ago, LePaul said:

Okay good to see you can replicate it...I observed it worked in 3.1 but hadn't used it in the newer builds (just been using the SD card!)

I'll be curious what you find.  I thought the API code was bad or something...

There's a possible fix, could you test it?

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/3725#issuecomment-396181967

Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.4 | Beta

Does USB printing work for anyone?  Ever since going to 3.4 beta, I start a print, the bed and head heat up but the status sits at 1% and the nozzle never moves from the initial position.  A home doesn't happen... nothing.  If I copy the gcode to the SD card and put it in the printer, it prints.

I am using 'Marlin' as the gcode type and the printer is a Wanhao Duplicator 9 which works fine printing via USB with 3.3.1.

EDIT: I reinstalled 3.3.1 and it printed via USB just fine.

The only odd thing is that when I started 3.4 beta, it said my settings were corrupt or invalid (something like that) so I had to go over the settings 1 at a time to set it up again as I chose to reset the settings in 3.4.  I wonder if the reason for this corrupt thing is that i am using some plugins (Scalable Extra prime).  Maybe those settings were not known or something as the plugin is not installed by default with 3.4  when you first run it.  This is likely a separate issue but worth noting.

Edited by Adam324

Is there any way to get my machine profiles back. I have them all in the 3.3 directory ( along with my material profiles). If I copy them to the 3.4 directory, I get a configuration error message and an option to reset to factory settings.

Hiya all,

does any one have it when the brim outside only is unchecked that the inside brim lines go outside of the build area and becomes not printable.  

Also the only way I can have layer one include the support layer is to have none of the adhesion setting select or with brim outside only unchecked.  (See first issue)

Opening FreeCAD-files in Cura would be a nice feature. I tried it with 3.4beta, it doesn't work.

Where's the trick ? The filetype is ".FCStd".

just to illustrate the brim issue I mentioned.  if i tick the brim only on the out side I don't get the first layer for support on the inside.  if I tick it I get some random off shoot to somewhere to the inside brim.    

941553137_BRIMISSUE.thumb.png.392ec852ce4682b55032b1146666ddcc.png411894068_BRIMISSUE2.thumb.png.9fd645065f4e3175b8aa14cd7f04f845.png

On 6/5/2018 at 10:01 PM, AbeFM said:

So it looks like if you change the file name, and slice, it will.

Then a few seconds later (~2-3) it slices again. That's with mouse entirely outside of the window, no clicking.

After spending a bunch more time with this, it is pretty obvious - you have to hit 'return' in the filename box, and just plain wait a little bit, to get the filename to stick.

Whatever the "checking" that is going on, it's ruining file names, causing me to overwrite files with the wrong name, and print quite a number of objects saved under the wrong filename.

Can someone explain the logic of NOT saving under the filename displayed after someone goes through the trouble of putting one in?

image.thumb.png.5931f8543b78b30507cbd109a905d308.png

Several different models have given me this weird slicing - I'll get an unrealistic amount of time/filament (12 days for something under (100mm)^3 and kilograms of plastic), along with these lines which go off to infinity and presumably are printing something over there.

Moving the object slightly on the bed fixes the issue. (300 grams/2 days after moving object by y += 5)

I have never tried to print one of these when sliced like that.

This has the air of an issue that will get ignored so I haven't bothered posting it, but here's hoping that this thread is intended to find issues with the beta and fix them.

---------------------

Edit: Oh, the two days one was also, spurious. Playing more based on Rebecca's suggest in the next post.

Edited by AbeFM

7 minutes ago, AbeFM said:

image.thumb.png.5931f8543b78b30507cbd109a905d308.png

Several different models have given me this weird slicing - I'll get an unrealistic amount of time/filament (12 days for something under (100mm)^3 and kilograms of plastic), along with these lines which go off to infinity and presumably are printing something over there.

Moving the object slightly on the bed fixes the issue. (300 grams/2 days after moving object by y += 5)

I have never tried to print one of these when sliced like that.

This has the air of an issue that will get ignored so I haven't bothered posting it, but here's hoping that this thread is intended to find issues with the beta and fix them.

like that it won't print as there are print lines outside build area.  tick the brim outside only and you'll loose those lines but it causes other issues,  see my post above. 

needs sorting out big time. 

As mentioned, I was able to get the behavior to go away just my translating the object slightly along the bed. I do not feel it is *directly* the cause of the brim, or at least, not in isolation.

It does need sorting.

---------------------

Moving the object changes the bad slicing, but did not fix it (on this model, past models that worked). 

Swapping brim for raft DID fix it (15H, 150g, no unexplained travels).

Setting brim to "brim on outside only" also worked.

Perhaps she's right and Brimming is the issue.

Edited by AbeFM
    Actually tried what was told to me instead of just saying what I think.
    • Like 1

I don't think this is an important issue, but it's weird. I loaded and sliced this part, loaded a new part, sent that second part to a new build plate, sliced it, and everything looked fine. When I switched back to the first part, I got this:

image.thumb.png.0d5d8561eded002b47ff1a5a28a45d83.png

These look like travels, they don't leave the bed. The part shown has 89 layers, but now the slider goes to 128 layers (the height of the second part on the second build plate). The extraneous lines show up only when the layer #90 is displayed (i.e. first layer after the top of the physical part/print). Nothing interesting in the display of the first part.

See attached profile.

WeirdLines.curaproject.zip

image.thumb.png.02fdfac8dbb2db3d74db8f1ea4de03e1.png

Is there someone I could talk to about this file name situation? It's getting to the point where I literally have to save files, find them in the operating system, check the file dates, and manually rename stuff.

I would mean a lot to me if someone could say "This is a problem, we are interested in fixing it".

"This is a problem, we are interested in fixing it".  (you are welcome)

Seriously though, I have seen this too once or twice, but sofar have not had time to look in to it. If you could find a way to reproduce this issue (ie: steps that don't include the word "sometimes"), that would be very helpful.

It's really hard not to qualify with the word sometimes because many of the times it happens I find out because the wrong thing is sitting on the print bed 4 hours later. I'm being cautious not to state something as fact when it is purely an impression.

I have noticed a few things:

Hitting return after entering the name seems to fix it.

Reslicing often fixes the issue, but I've seen the name reset here, too.

Clicking in a print-settings-box like you're going to edit the value , if you don't change it, seems to always use the name right.

I feel the issue is the input checker (it started happening then) no letting the name update, or overwriting the change.

I would suggest that if someone clicks the "save to file/removable drive" button that you first finalize the entered name, THEN get the file name to save.

That's probably better done by someone familiar with the code, but if you can point me to the file that handles getting the name from the blank, I could try to take a look at it. CURA is in some C-like language?

Has somebody read my question because of opening FreeCAD-files, as mentioned in the features list of this beta ?

Am I the only one, who uses FreeCAD ?

4 hours ago, MLang said:

Has somebody read my question because of opening FreeCAD-files, as mentioned in the features list of this beta ?

Am I the only one, who uses FreeCAD ?

Have you checked the plugin is installed.  I had to do it for inventor files.

The plugin is installed, but it is not possible to open any of my many FreeCAD-files. Has somebody experience in this ? Must a FreeCAD-construction be prepared in any way to make it compatible with Cura ?

The import starts and almost always at the same point near 50% it reports "Invalid file".

4 hours ago, MLang said:

The plugin is installed, but it is not possible to open any of my many FreeCAD-files. Has somebody experience in this ? Must a FreeCAD-construction be prepared in any way to make it compatible with Cura ?

The import starts and almost always at the same point near 50% it reports "Invalid file".

I’ll have a quick look if I have time. 

Mid I remember correctly the writer of the plug in is listed.  Might be worth dropping a message.

3 minutes ago, rebekah_harper said:

I’ll have a quick look if I have time. 

Mid I remember correctly the writer of the plug in is listed.  Might be worth dropping a message.

Ok, I will do that. Thank you !

On 6/11/2018 at 6:02 AM, ahoeben said:

There's a possible fix, could you test it?

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/3725#issuecomment-396181967

I know you already closed out the Github but felt compelled to let you know...got it working with your workaround!

will cura ever go back to multi core support .

Slicing is currently done on multiple cores.

10 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Slicing is currently done on multiple cores.

On Windows and Linux. Not on MacOS due to some issues with OpenBLAS (?) on that platform.

• Thanks 1

• Like 1